Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by medellinfein
Nice! I need to change the date on my RGN-SFO KE ticket...anyone have any luck in convincing Korean to do so?

In any case, i will report back after i make the call to Vayama

to the poster above: also got Vayama schedule change email...except there was no schedule change!
I no its almost no hope, but I also need to do a change, otherwise stuck in Fiji for two weeks...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: DL GM, UA PREMIER GOLD, AMEX PLT, HYATT Diamond
R2 NH plated, DL schedule change

I have put off calling until recently. My back to back R2 NH plated tickets (RT + ow) have a schedule change LAX- YVR (AS/DL) of 15 minutes, flying in two weeks. Delta shows a new flight number, but ANA still has the old. Elite desk at DL said these tickets allow changes and transferred me to reissue desk. I repeated my request for a longer layover at LAX, agent consulted with ANA who suggested that I work with my booking agency (Ex.de). DL re-issue agent said she would be willing to reissue on DL, but worried that I’d lose the ANA flights. She agreed to note in my record, that DL will consider my request after I flew my first NH segment. Meanwhile, this RT ticket is revalidated for the new flight number. The e-receipts still shows the ticket number unchanged, but all flight segments changed to “open” now.

Because the previous DL agent suggested that it is necessary to revalidate the ticket for a flight change, I called ANA and requested it be done for my one way. ANA agent decided to reissue only the affected flight, and left everything else alone. So now I have two ticket numbers for this itinerary. I followed this up with DL agent who saw the new ticket number as well, but now I could not see my e-receipt. I asked agent to email me this itinerary and it shows all flights confirmed.

I am stopping in Bangkok to apply for an entry visa for a later visit in connection to R1. With this one in my passport, I hope to show up in RGN and either apply for a transit visa on arrival, or maybe be lucky enough to be shown the transit lounge.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by medellinfein
Nice! I need to change the date on my RGN-SFO KE ticket...anyone have any luck in convincing Korean to do so?

In any case, i will report back after i make the call to Vayama

to the poster above: also got Vayama schedule change email...except there was no schedule change!
The bottom of my reissued Korean Air e-ticket had a note at the bottom to the effect that the ticket was involuntarily reissued as a result of the KE 2 route change. Since we know KE put a note on all of these tickets that no changes should be made without approval from headquarters for the "RGN SPECIAL CASE", I think being on a flight that KE has decided not to operate is about your best way to achieve a reroute and reissue. Simple date changes seem like they have zero chance.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Flexibility with "transit" visa

I have two Myanmar visits scheduled in the next six weeks - both related to R1 itineraries. I got a standard visa in NYC and figured that I would have to use it on my first visit to Myanmar - my stay was less than 24 hours, but my routing was BKK-RGN-BKK so it was really not a 'transit'.

When I arrived in Myanmar last night, I figured that I would stop by the visa desk and see if they would issue me a transit visa on the spot. Surprisingly, they did. No real question about the flight on which I arrived (although the TG flight was the only one arriving at the time), but they were adamant about my stay being less than 24 hours. They asked about my flight out of RGN, and I confirmed that it was TG to Bangkok. They requested USD 20, they took my passport and my photo, and inserted a page-sized sticker that looks just about identical to the visa that I got in NYC (except that it does not have my picture, and it is valid for 1 day). I used that visa to get in, and then that visa was canceled when I left.

So I am happy that I still have my NYC-issued visa available for the next trip, when I will stay longer.

Now... I am not recommending that anyone count on this flexible definition of "transit" and I am not sure that TG would even have allowed me on the flight into RGN if I did not have the standard visa in my passport. But this is just something to try if you have a similar situation with a stay of less than 24 hours.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by gary_nj
Now... I am not recommending that anyone count on this flexible definition of "transit" and I am not sure that TG would even have allowed me on the flight into RGN if I did not have the standard visa in my passport. But this is just something to try if you have a similar situation with a stay of less than 24 hours.
I have just completed my R1 RT RGN/BKK/AMS/JFK and return. I flew into RGN on TG 301 (bought separate OW, and scheduled to begin R1 on TG 306. I had Myanmar visa in my passport, and when disembarking TG 301 , I asked the TG ground staff whether I needed to exit immigration and re-check in. They asked me if I wanted to use the visa and go out or not, or just wait around in transit until my TG 306 flight. I said I will just stay inside airport. So they took my passport, and led me thru transit security, brought me up to departure hall after security and told me to wait there, and they would bring me back my passport and boarding pass for TG 306.

A couple of hours later, they returned with my passport, boarding pass, and led me to the TG biz class lounge until my TG 306 departed. Didn't use my visa and never left the airport. On my return legs of the R1, I got off at BKK and did not fly the last segment BKK/RGN.

My R3 OW RGN/KUL/AMS/YUL booked on TL.com has been cancelled by TL.com. MH ticketed, and has been refunded, but TL has not refunded their $10.99 fee.

Last edited by tangoll; Jan 17, 2013 at 8:25 am Reason: added last sentences.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by tangoll
I had Myanmar visa in my passport, and when disembarking TG 301 , I asked the TG ground staff whether I needed to exit immigration and re-check in. They asked me if I wanted to use the visa and go out or not, or just wait around in transit until my TG 306 flight. I said I will just stay inside airport. So they took my passport, and led me thru transit security, brought me up to departure hall after security and told me to wait there, and they would bring me back my passport and boarding pass for TG 306.
Looks like TG staff is familiar with VOA policies at RGN. I am curious if I may board TG301 (BKK-RGN) without any Myanmar visa by claiming to do a VOA at RGN (my NH914 flight departs at the same day). Is it doable?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
Originally Posted by lewende
Looks like TG staff is familiar with VOA policies at RGN. I am curious if I may board TG301 (BKK-RGN) without any Myanmar visa by claiming to do a VOA at RGN (my NH914 flight departs at the same day). Is it doable?

Ok so the thread is huge. I detailed this. TG is hit or miss print out the voa rules from the myanmar website or the photo i posted here of the rules at the arrival area in rgn. Do not check in at just any counter in bkk. Arrive early and ask around to find someone familar. Start at the star gold desk. You do not want to be late to the airport and standing around at the excess baggage counter. Do not trust tg, search for the right person. Theres a ton of info in this thread on how to spend an afternoon in yangon. Good luck.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AC
For VOA they might require an official letter (as per Timatic). I would claim same-day airside transit and then try my chances for VOA once at RGN.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by billybligh
Ok so the thread is huge. I detailed this. TG is hit or miss print out the voa rules from the myanmar website or the photo i posted here of the rules at the arrival area in rgn. Do not check in at just any counter in bkk. Arrive early and ask around to find someone familar. Start at the star gold desk. You do not want to be late to the airport and standing around at the excess baggage counter. Do not trust tg, search for the right person. Theres a ton of info in this thread on how to spend an afternoon in yangon. Good luck.
Thanks Billy, you are always helpful.

To make things complicated, I will actually depart from CNX (Chiang Mai) to BKK and then RGN (with 2 hours transit time at BKK). I am not sure how CNX TG staff is familiar with VOA policies at RGN but looks like if I am gonna do this, I will have the best shot at BKK, esp. Star Gold counter.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by TelFunku
For VOA they might require an official letter (as per Timatic). I would claim same-day airside transit and then try my chances for VOA once at RGN.
Thanks! Are TG agents familiar with same-day airside transit policy? Any hiccups if I claim to do that?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AC
Thanks! Are TG agents familiar with same-day airside transit policy? Any hiccups if I claim to do that?
Unfortunately nothing is certain, but it has been done before.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Lightning fast MYR visa turnaround

For my next trip. Sent my packet by Priority Mail to DC on Jan 9. Enclosed priority mail return envelope. To the Embassy of the Republic yada yada.

Went to DC for work for a few days. Arrived back at the shark reef last night (Jan 16) and my passport was waiting for me here.

I thought there had been a mistake and I'd sent the packet in with incomplete documentation so they sent it back without issuing the visa. But I checked my passport and I have a shiny new MYR visa. They processed it the day after I sent it, a speed that I would have not believed had it not been my passport.

So whatever the hold up was last Nov seems to be much better now. This is the fastest service I've ever had from any embassy anywhere, ever.

They must appreciate the spend boost caused by unanticipated RGN pirates like us

So now my reason for delay will be more problematic... UA's grounded 787 for my NRT/SIN positioning flight.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:23 pm

I just returned from my RGN fare and here is my experience with the VOA:

We decided not to go to RGN during our 5-hr layover, but brought our visa application and instructions just in case. Our itinerary was RGN-BKK-ICN-SFO, but we were in BKK already before heading to RGN. Upon check-in at the TG counter, the agent insisted that we needed a visa to enter RGN. Showed us his computer screen that said VISA REQUIRED. We told him we were not leaving the airport. He wouldn't budge. Then we said, we'll get a transit visa upon entry and showed him the application. He said that the transit visa would not apply since we were traveling BKK-RGN-BKK. Finally a supervisor was called out and she called the RGN TG office and gave our names to the supervisor there and said we could get the transit visa in RGN. We almost missed our outbound flight! Made it by 15 minutes.

Landed in RGN at 1:45pm and went to the VOA counter. Long line of people all getting visa's. Asked a rep if we needed a visa if we were not leaving the airport and she said no. She then radio'd the back and a supervisor for TG came out. She already had our names on a sheet of paper. She offered to fly us out earlier since there was another flight leaving in less than an hour. She retrieved our baggage and checked it all the way to SFO. We didn't have to pass through immigration and were led through the back way via an elevator to the boarding gate. Hopped on the same plane and headed back to BKK!

In hindsight, we should not have touched our RGN flight since we were unsure if the rest of our itinerary would be cancelled with the change. We had a few tense hours waiting for the OZ and KE counters at BKK to open up to get our boarding passes. But it all worked out in the end. KE F was GREAT.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by redtailshark
For my next trip. Sent my packet by Priority Mail to DC on Jan 9. Enclosed priority mail return envelope. To the Embassy of the Republic yada yada.

Went to DC for work for a few days. Arrived back at the shark reef last night (Jan 16) and my passport was waiting for me here.
I can shed some light on this--they are freaking running a visa FACTORY in the consular section of the myanmar embassy. You can actually see where they do it all (just two guys in a little room, one guy banging away on a computer, one guy dealing with all the paper) when you drop off your passport in person, which I've done twice now, most recently two days ago.

The funny thing is--after reading some posts about how fast mailed-in passports had been processed on here, I asked whether I could pick it up in a couple of days, rather than the full week that's their local-pickup standard, they were adamant that I had to pick it up next Tuesday.

I'm going to be in the neighborhood tomorrow, so I might pop by to see if it's ready early.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TelFunku
No problems with FD at DMK using myanmarvisa. Was a little concerned but the GA that checks BPs looked at my letter and verified our names was on the list and let us through. Tense but no problems. Also FD does not seem to monitor hang luggage. We had three pieces in two people, one weighed 30kgs the other 20kgs. TG made me check it through but FD allowed it. YMMV.

Also, great food suggestion is Feel restaurant. Very good and prepared to high standards, pricey but worth it. Excellent myanmar cuisine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.