Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: UA
On currency exchange -- I changed money in Mandalay and Bagan, and both of these were relatively flexible on the quality of the bills (I had all pretty clean bills). When I changed money at a bank at the Zegyo Market in Yangon, they were very critical of the bills, and rejected a couple of notes that I had that I'm certain would have been accepted at places in Mandalay and Nyaung U.

One other thing I noticed was that the places in Mandalay and Nyaung U offered better rates for <$100 bills than in Yangon as well.

I never tried the unofficial money changes in Zegyo Market, but they were quoting 900 Kyat/dollar. At one point I saw one with an extremely thick wad of $100 USD bills -- I'd estimate somewhere around $40,000 USD that he was just carrying around!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:12 pm

Ex-RG-NRT cancellation

I have been talking to both Travelocity and ANA. ANA kept telling me that Travelocity needs to rebook the ticket since they were the one who sold it. I am afraid that re-issue/re-book will result the rest of the segment fare change. Should I be worried about that or should I let them rebook? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Originally Posted by mcdevit
Its also possible to call NH and have them reissue the RGN-NRT segments to RGN-BKK(TG)-NRT{NH). They did this for me right after the NH RGN-NRT cancellation and were very nice about it. Its possible they've stopped being nice about it, but worth a shot.

Best to keep Ex.uk out of it if possible. I've now got reissued NH tickets RGN-BKK-NRT and reissued DL tickets NRT-SEA-YVR. Basically two separate tickets.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by Neilcpan
I have been talking to both Travelocity and ANA. ANA kept telling me that Travelocity needs to rebook the ticket since they were the one who sold it. I am afraid that re-issue/re-book will result the rest of the segment fare change. Should I be worried about that or should I let them rebook? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!
I don't think you should be worried if ANA rebooks their portion. After they reissued the RGN-BKK-NRT portions on my ticket I called DL and they said all was good from their end: NRT-SEA-YVR. So far I'm happy with what I've been told by both NH and DL, but I guess I won't totally know it's OK until I check in.

The main thing that I'm happy about is that the OTA is completely out of the picture at this point.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by Neilcpan
All will be fine. Travelocity will call that NH agents desk and you will be rebooked with TG to BKK and then NH to NRT.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by zeppo2
I highly recommend the 365 Cafe.
Originally Posted by mcdevit
...and close to the Alfa Hotel is the Aung Mingalar Shan Noodle Restaurant. Great noodle fare, inexpensive, clean, and a totally happy place.
Thanks for the advice. We ate at 365 cafe. Next trip will be to the Shan Noodle Restaurant.

Completed a R1 RGN-SQ-SIN-SQ-HKG-NZ-LHR-DL-JFK

No problems. At RGN check in, the agent spent 5+ minutes typing information into the computer. It was a good thing I had copies of my e-ticket #s. This was a Vayama ticket. Next was my friends turn. Opodo issued. No problems and a quick check in for him.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL:Diamond, HH:Diamond
R1 burma currency devaluation fare success

Mon and Tues of this week, hubby and I and a friend completed the outgoing segments RGN-BKK-AMS-JFK of a R1 round trip booked last spring (the return segments JFK-AMS-BKK-RGN are scheduled for 2/14). All 3 tix were booked on opodo on DL (006) stock. Thai Air carried RGN-BKK, China Air carried BKK-AMS and Delta carried AMS-JFK. Have to say I was not at all impressed with CI service in biz, especially compared to USA or European carriers or even fellow Asian carrier China Southern. The food on CI was meh and the seats angle recline was not at all comfortable. If I had paid much more than the approx $350rt that we paid I think I'd actually be pretty pissed.

We used the outgoing segments listed above to return from a trip to Vietnam. It was our first time in Vietnam and our first time in Burma and we had a great time (trip report will be up later this month on songsofgratitude.blogspot.com). We took a combo of Delta, China Southern and Thai airways (award ticket) over to Burma (dca-atl-lax-ghazhou-sgn-bkk-rgn) and really enjoyed our biz seats on all of those flights. China Southern gives out free pajamas and had great food- way cool!

Next month, we use the return segment of the Burma mistake rt fare to head to Phuket, and the return segment of the Delta/China Southern/Thai airways award ticket to come home.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousFlyer
Mon and Tues of this week, hubby and I and a friend completed the outgoing segments RGN-BKK-AMS-JFK of a R1 round trip booked last spring (the return segments JFK-AMS-BKK-RGN are scheduled for 2/14). All 3 tix were booked on opodo on DL (006) stock. Thai Air carried RGN-BKK, China Air carried BKK-AMS and Delta carried AMS-JFK. Have to say I was not at all impressed with CI service in biz, especially compared to USA or European carriers or even fellow Asian carrier China Southern. The food on CI was meh and the seats angle recline was not at all comfortable. If I had paid much more than the approx $350rt that we paid I think I'd actually be pretty pissed.
Really?! I don't think you could have bought this fare normally for under 2x the $350 price you paid, and that would be in economy. Surely the CI business seat is better than an economy seat, at half the price of an economy seat?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Hi all, I am looking for a copy of the terms and conditions that were on Expedia Germany's (expedia.de) website when R2 tickets were purchased in mid-August.
If you have a copy, could you please PM me?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back from a great trip. I've never been any place like Rangon before. Eye-opening, to say the least.

A few notes:

-Money changers on the street offered up to 970 if we would change $300US or more. We were pretty sure there was some scam involved. One merchant said they basically just shortchange, but you spend so much time counting the small bills they give you, you just give up or they take off. In any event, everything is so cheap relative to Western currencies, I recommend just taking the safe route on the exchange and not hunting down the best deal.

-We ate at two restaurants: one great and one terrible. Terrible was Monsoon. Pathetic. Rancid oil and just all around bad. Can't believe we made the mistake since many reviews accurately called it as awful. And the great hole-in-the-wall was 999 Shan Noodle. Very good noodles, and excellent vegetables (watercress and kale when we were there). This place is on 34th street and it not accurately positioned by Google or Apple Maps. It's about two blocks from Trader's. 8 entrees plus water and beer = $12US roughly.

-We also ate at a real restaurant behind Bogyoke market, which was fine.

-KE BKK-ICN in F was just a business seat, basically. We were the only ones in the cabin.

-KE ICN-LAX A380 was pretty impressive. Not quite Cathay probably, but the nicest I've had short of it.

-Checked our luggage all the way through from RGN. Somewhere, KE added priority tags and it popped off nice and fast in LAX. I'm amazed that they re-tagged us.

-Finally, somewhere, our Delta numbers dropped off our reservations. Shouldn't be a problem, but if your boarding pass doesn't show it for Delta on KE, have them fix it and reprint.

Can't wait for the next one!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
[QUOTE=FlirtatiousFlyer;20108642] "If I had paid much more than the approx $350rt that we paid I think I'd actually be pretty pissed."

I'm not too sure very many people would agree with you there....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I have $20 worth of Burmese currency (in good shape too) left from my trip. Any suggestions on where I can exchange them outside Burma? I checked in most Asian countries and no luck.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:19 pm

Here or coupon connection would be your best bet.
Though I'm sure that's against the t&c.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:53 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by tracon
Here or coupon connection would be your best bet.
Though I'm sure that's against the t&c.
Trading cash is not permitted anywhere on FlyerTalk. @:-)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by dancingal
Hi all, I am looking for a copy of the terms and conditions that were on Expedia Germany's (expedia.de) website when R2 tickets were purchased in mid-August.
If you have a copy, could you please PM me?
I'm also interested, but for expedia.es. Booked several R2's thru expedia.es, but need to cancel one of them. Been balking at calling expedia.es, as I do not speak Spanish. Will try this weekend, and if that fails, I'll call NH since everything is ticketed thru them.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:52 am

I flew on a TG (Y) - KE (F) -KE (F) flight RGN-SFO. Credited KE to Alaska which posted correctly, but no credit to UA from TG....is there any reason for this not to be credited?

I submitted a request for credit to UA 2 weeks ago but no change yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.