Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM, *A G, IHGClub PlatAmb, SPG G, Marriott G
Great!!
Originally Posted by karenkay
here's the original:

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Ahhhh....the emotional phases of a mistake fare.

1. Discovery - mistake fare is posted on FT. Novices frantically checks how much vacation time they have and if the dates of availability mesh with their schedules. Experienced FTers just book it and worry about contacting spouses or their boss later. Word spreads like wildfire.

2. Excitement - Tickets purchased, confirmation emails received and dates of travel shared with other FTers. Discussions of what to see and do and where to stay crop up in other threads. Novices contact source to change seats or inquire about upgrades, Seasoned FTers sit back and enjoy reading the discussion threads.

3. Stress Stage 1 - Concern over paper ticket delivery - Novices Frantically check otheFedEx website every few hours, constant monitoring of driveway for FedEx truck. Seasoned FT veterans sit back and relax.

4. Glee and happiness - Paper tickets in hand, vacation request submitted, spouses finally informed, hotel reservations made and bragging to friends and co-workers begins. Both novices and experts get very excited.

5. Stress Stage 2 - Rumors of fare not being honored, discussion threads about the airline and ticketing agency ensue. Rumors crop up like crabgrass at this stage. Many FTers begin to worry excessively about whether or not the trip will happen. Novices make non-refundable and financial committments to their trip. Seasoned FTers make mixed drinks (and maybe a sandwich) and is patient.

6. Reality Check - Accurate information is obtained - usually takes place a week to 10 days after mistake fare is published. Confirmed information from the source as to whether or not tickets will be honored.

7a. Pure Joy (Icelandair style- Fare is Honored) - Lots of happy people, FT threads on shared information regarding hotels, restaurants, tours, etc. Jealousy from others sets in. First "FT guinea pigs" embark, post confirmation threads that all is ok.

7b Hostile Feelings (Copa Airlines Style - fare is not honored) - Many angry and disappointed FTers. Refunds are issued. Novices have multiple discussion threads of lawsuits and hostile correspondence, FT pros mutter "c'est la vie" and look for the next fare mistake.

8a Success (Honored) - Trip Report thread becomes very active
Old May 3, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
more from Vayama

As reported upthread, overnight Vayama cancelled my NH-stock (with one KE segment) and notified me with an email referencing KE as the reason for the cancellation. I have not contacted Vayama at all. I recently received this email, unsolicited:

+++
Re: ***Airline Booking Cancelation Notification – Follow-up***

Dear Customer –

As a follow up to the email we sent previously regarding our need to cancel your booking, we inadvertently referenced your booking as being on Korean Airlines rather than All Nippon Airlines.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. However, the position of the airline remains the same and your booking has been canceled.

Again we apologize for the confusion, inconvenience, and frustration caused.

Sincerely,
Vayama Customer Support
###

Meanwhile, two $25 Vayama charges and one AirTrade International Charge (for the cheaper of my two, now airline-cancelled, itineraries) have hit my Amex. Very shady.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Meanwhile, two $25 Vayama charges and one AirTrade International Charge (for the cheaper of my two, now airline-cancelled, itineraries) have hit my Amex. Very shady.
Not sure what is shady about it. You booked last week. The charges were presumably legit. They canceled your flights this week. You should see a credit. If you don't, then I would call it shady.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure what is shady about it. You booked last week. The charges were presumably legit. They canceled your flights this week. You should see a credit. If you don't, then I would call it shady.
Shady = charging me for bookings that, according to them, have already been canceled. The charges first appeared after Vayama had taken the position that the bookings were canceled by the airlines.

I booked two days ago. Yesterday and overnight last night, I was notified that the airlines had canceled. As of this morning, nothing on my Amex. As of this afternoon, charges on my Amex. Shady.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:42 am
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Charges can take a few days to post. Get with it.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked two days ago. Yesterday and overnight last night, I was notified that the airlines had canceled. As of this morning, nothing on my Amex. As of this afternoon, charges on my Amex. Shady.
Seriously? Wow.
Did you really think that the merchant/Amex relationship is real time.
It's called a lag, the difference between your charge date and the date the charge posts to your account.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shady = charging me for bookings that, according to them, have already been canceled. The charges first appeared after Vayama had taken the position that the bookings were canceled by the airlines.

I can confirm same: charges were only finalized with Amex after my cancellation came from Vayama - probably 20 hours later. There weren't even the authorizations from "Airtrade Intl" until after the cancellation. I was watching pretty closely.

That said, I understand it's a company and they likely batch this stuff and they can't just pull my charge out of a batch. I assume they'll refund me in full.

My big question is: when can I assume I'm set? I got a confirmation with the word "confirmed" all over it.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:47 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I have asked Vayama this morning by e-mail if either they or KE are in a position to reimburse for any nonrefundable travel expenses incurred as part of this; that is not covered by their terms of service.

For the record, I did consult a trip insurance policy from American Express and that policy specifically states that cancellations as a result of weather, force majeure or labor dispute are covered. Other cancellations due to tour provider/common carrier conveyance (e.g., an airline) cancellation and NOT SPECIFICALLY due to one of those three reasons is EXCLUDED. So if anyone has expenses due to this - either a positioning flight or hotel, or visa application - that means trip insurance would not help you in those circumstances. It would be up to Vayama or KE (or other issuing airline) to make the consumer whole.

Edited to add: this is the clause from Vayama's own trip insurance policy (underwritten by Travel Guard) that expressly denies coverage of cancellations in cases like this, for the record:
"This coverage does not cover loss caused by...(ii)travel arrangements canceled or changed by an airline, cruise line, or tour operator,
unless the cancellation is the result of a Natural Disaster"

Last edited by dll; May 3, 2012 at 11:08 am
Old May 3, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dll
So if anyone has expenses due to this - either a positioning flight or hotel, or visa application - that should clarify the situation. Trip insurance would probably not help you in those circumstances.
Anyone who booked already positioning flights or hotels without the dust settling on this one deserves to be out of pocket.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:53 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Anyone who booked already positioning flights or hotels without the dust settling on this one deserves to be out of pocket.
Don't 100% agree with you on that, as some folks have flights soon and needed to push for visas and such. I am not in that position. But a consumer should be able to rely on a printed e-ticket as proof of travel confirmation. Even if someone booked an award ticket to position and has to pay a redeposit fee, it's out of pocket expense. KE went through this before with their ROR situation, although months had passed in that case; but people were out significant travel expenses with hotel deposits and so on. If you receive a confirmation from a travel provider that says, and I quote (from Vayama website):

"Reservation Status: TICKETED

Your reservation is complete and was ticketed. Your credit card has been successfully charged and you are ready to go!"

The average consumer would presume no further waiting time would be needed to make other plans, special knowledge of this situation notwithstanding.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:54 am

anyone know how to see booking class on cheapo? I'm looking at several business class tickets but I have no idea what type of miles I'm getting.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by dll
I have asked Vayama this morning by e-mail if either they or KE are in a position to reimburse for any nonrefundable travel expenses incurred as part of this; that is not covered by their terms of service.
Please post when you get an answer. it is a bit expensive to get from the US to RGN.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Here's mine:

Dear Customer –

As a follow up to the email we sent previously regarding our need to cancel your booking, we inadvertently referenced your booking as being on Korean Airlines rather than Delta.
We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. However, the position of the airline remains the same and your booking has been canceled.

+++
Re: ***Airline Booking Cancelation Notification – Follow-up***

Dear Customer –

As a follow up to the email we sent previously regarding our need to cancel your booking, we inadvertently referenced your booking as being on Korean Airlines rather than All Nippon Airlines.

Sincerely,
Vayama Customer Support
###

Old May 3, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
At least when KE canceled my ROR tickets they gave me a $200 voucher as consolation.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by uberuber
anyone know how to see booking class on cheapo? I'm looking at several business class tickets but I have no idea what type of miles I'm getting.
assuming its booked through amadeus (which I assume it is) then go to eitr.amadeusasia.com/ then put in your res code and it will show you your ticket receipt along with the fare codes listed under CL ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.