Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by TAWS
You could get a letter from the embassy saying you don't need a visa to catch another flight. I took a mileage run through GRU one time and didn't have a visa.
One time at band camp....

I think GRU and RGN are slightly different situations. GRU has concrete rules about connecting. I know the first time I did so, it was 8 hour or so.

Timatic has the following:

National USA (US) /Transit Myanmar (MM)
Destination Malaysia (MY)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Myanmar (MM)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets transiting

For details, click here by the same aircraft.

Malaysia (MY)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing travel documents must be
valid at least six months on date of arrival.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months for
nationals of USA.

Minors:
- Minors up to and including 15 years of age may be listed in
an accompanying adult's passport.
Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds (at
least USD 500.-.) to cover their stay.
- Students For details, click here
Warning:
- Ladies in an advanced stage of pregnancy
For details, click here
- Nationals of USA not holding a return/onward ticket could be

either requested to purchase one or refused entry.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC and PARALYMPIC GAMES
(INCL. ADDITIONAL INFO FOR IRELAND (REP. OF))

Timaticweb Version 1.3
03 May 2012
Old May 2, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Just got an email from Travelocity about my flights:
Thanks for booking with Travelocity! To go along with that awesome trip, use the promo code XXXXXXXXXXXXX at checkout and you'll get 10% off
Guess who's getting future booking with me?
Old May 2, 2012, 11:03 pm
Used to be highman123

Another data point - my bookings on opodo.de and cleartrip.com (I tried to avoid 'crowded' OTA's like vayama) are still standing ad have gotten ticket numbers just fine.

However both wanted credit card verification (statement/ CC images) or threatened to cancel within 5 (cleartrip) or 12 (opodo) hours. I sent them just in time.

However the booking reference on the Qantas flight is "NOSYNC" and for the BMI/Qatar flight it's just a 5 digit code (QR.com does not know what to do with it).
Old May 2, 2012, 11:14 pm

For what it's worth, as I only really care about a full refund, I asked Vayama about this, and this was their response:

Dear ____ -

All charges associated with the transaction will be refunded. Technically, we voided the transaction in advance of the charges actually being debited from your account. With that being the case, as soon as your bank drops any associated pending charges all funds associated with the transaction will be available to you including any service fees.

Sincerely,
David
Vayama Customer Relations Manager
Fair enough. Should be a quick and painless 'refund' then, since it's technically a void. I'll check my account tomorrow.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by highman123
However the booking reference on the Qantas flight is "NOSYNC" and for the BMI/Qatar flight it's just a 5 digit code (QR.com does not know what to do with it).
What tool do people use to view additional information in bookings like "NOSYNC" and an annotation from the issuer saying an attempt was made to call the passenger etc.?
Old May 2, 2012, 11:21 pm

"Vayama reserves the right to cancel a reservation and provide full refund of all charges on this request in case of fare errors, incorrect fare rules, system errors, availability problems, reservations not confirmed by carriers, and other technical issues that may prohibit Vayama from fulfilling a customer's reservation at the cost provided and in a timely manner."

The T&C for Vayama are potentially dangerous to consumers.
They seem to suggest they can cancel any reservation whenever they (and only they) arbitrarily label something a fare error, system error, availability problem, etc. The danger comes because these declarations, at least in theory, could come at any time. What stops them from calling a ticket on day of departure a system error? How can people book on Vayama and reasonably be assured their booking is ever guaranteed?

Vayama opened up this can of worms by sending out cancellation emails and trying to hide behind their T&C. As such, I feel they should be able to address this larger concern that potentially impacts all Vayama customers, not just RGN folks.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
Vayama just cancelled my ticket citing Korean Air's request; however, none of my segments were on KE, and it was ticketed on NH stock.
+1. Baffling. Someone sent out blanket emails without checking itinerary. I purposely avoided KE as ROR incident is still fresh. Looks like this is just a fun exercise.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz
I Booked RGN>KUL>BOM>JNB for $317 about an hour ago on cheapo.

Carriers are Malaysian Airlines and South African Airline so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:31 pm
2mg

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
And lasted for <48H after being posted on FT
Old May 3, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by highman123
Another data point - my bookings on opodo.de and cleartrip.com (I tried to avoid 'crowded' OTA's like vayama) are still standing ad have gotten ticket numbers just fine.

However both wanted credit card verification (statement/ CC images) or threatened to cancel within 5 (cleartrip) or 12 (opodo) hours. I sent them just in time.

That's a weird Amadeus quirk and not something to worry about. Basically, whenever a TA that uses Amadeus as its GDS makes a reservation for an airline that also uses Amadeus, the places where Amadeus breaks out each airlines' native record locator (whether by typing RL in Amadeus or as it appears on the bottom of an itinerary or invoice) shows NOSYNC. This indicates that the Amadeus record locator (which is at the top right of the itinerary or invoice) is the same native record locator for that airline. Presumably the NOSYNC is derived from the fact that this PNR is not being synced with another GDS' PNR. It makes sense from a programmer's perspective: that variable holds the lookup key to link to another GDS's PNR which needs to be updated via the inter-GDS link. If the TA's GDS is the native GDS of the airline, then obviously that variable needs to indicate that. And they can't just leave it blank because a blank non-native RL field is very bad news because it means that the PNRs are out of sync, usually after splitting a PNR. While it makes sense from a programmer's perspective, it doesn't make much sense from a TA or customer perspective and I've had to sooth many co-workers and customers who thought they had an invalid BA RL.

(btw, Qantas uses Amadeus.)

ETA: This reminds me of a very satisfying story of when I called BA's Australia number (because their UK and US numbers were closed) to get the AA record locator of a BA award that I had ticketed. The lady in Manila that I spoke with said that she didn't think it was possible to get AA's record locator. I told her to type RL and hit enter. She did and then said, "Oh. That's very nice. I guess I learned something! Wait, how did you know..." Another time for the same scenario, the BAgent insisted on asking her supervisor before she typed those two letters, which I suppose was wise as I could have been telling her to upgrade me to First Class for all she knew. (That command would have been sbf2)

Last edited by HansGolden; May 3, 2012 at 12:13 am
Old May 3, 2012, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by tangoll
Just booked on travelgenio.com, Spanish website, all biz class, RGN/BKK/AMS/JFK..RT, ai euro 593 on TG/CI/DL with DL operated by KLM, for 01 - 11 Jan 2013. Got TG Rsvn code which shows a valid reservation on TG website, but cannot find a ticket number.
On this booking done about 24 hours ago, I heard back from travelgenio about payment, which has been resolved, and payment made against my credit card (also confirmed with CC company), and I received eticket no. (006 DL stock), and also got 4 different rsvn codes, one each for CI, DL, KLM, and TG. The earlier rsvn code which got me the print out from the TG website was actually the rsvn code for KLM.

I'm not sure I want to contact the TA or any airline about the reversed order of my family/given name because the eticket shows name as "given/family" which is quite correct.

Question: will having my family/given names reversed present a problem at check in, when agent has to search their reservation not on family name, but on given name? Assuming I get that far into Jan 2013 and my booking with travelgenio is still intact? Or should I try to get travelgenio to correct the reversal now? Will that present any problems? Anyone had this happen before and what did you do about it?

For example, let's say my real name is Wunhung Low where Low is family name. But in my reservation with travelgenio, Low became the given name, and Wunhung became the family name. So on TG website, I had to search with rsvn code xxxxxx and Wunhung as the surname. But on the TG itinerary printout, the full name got printed as Low Wunhung which looks like a correct name, but if checking in the check in agent from the passport would search for Low and not find anything, whereas if they searched on "Wunhung" they would find the reservation. So I'm thinking ahead to Jan 2013 and worried about the reversed order of family/given names.

Last edited by tangoll; May 3, 2012 at 2:38 am Reason: added last paragraph.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:30 am
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by HansGolden
That's a weird Amadeus quirk and not something to worry about. Basically, whenever a TA that uses Amadeus as its GDS makes a reservation for an airline that also uses Amadeus, the places where Amadeus breaks out each airlines' native record locator (whether by typing RL in Amadeus or as it appears on the bottom of an itinerary or invoice) shows NOSYNC. This indicates that the Amadeus record locator (which is at the top right of the itinerary or invoice) is the same native record locator for that airline. Presumably the NOSYNC is derived from the fact that this PNR is not being synced with another GDS' PNR. It makes sense from a programmer's perspective: that variable holds the lookup key to link to another GDS's PNR which needs to be updated via the inter-GDS link. If the TA's GDS is the native GDS of the airline, then obviously that variable needs to indicate that. And they can't just leave it blank because a blank non-native RL field is very bad news because it means that the PNRs are out of sync, usually after splitting a PNR. While it makes sense from a programmer's perspective, it doesn't make much sense from a TA or customer perspective and I've had to sooth many co-workers and customers who thought they had an invalid BA RL.
(That command would have been sbf2)
Great insight - thanks!

I think the 5 digit PNR stems from Myanmar Intl which is the first airline in my reservation. They seems to use an old GDS?

So far only delta.com allows me to pull up the reservation and select seats...
Old May 3, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
Originally Posted by umamy
I Booked RGN>KUL>BOM>JNB for $317 about an hour ago on cheapo.

Carriers are Malaysian Airlines and South African Airline so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the heads up umamy. Just booked something similar. Maybe this one will stick.

All four of my non-KE Vayama bookings were cancelled after confirmation, ticket numbers, seat assignments, 30+ hours, and offers to buy trip insurance.
Old May 3, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
RGN-PPT gone. There was a lovely RGN-BKK-ICN-NRT-AKL-PPT routing available too on TG/OZ/NZ.

It looks like JNB/CPT is the "last hope" now.
Old May 3, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Europe is waking up and realizes that the Vayama bookings are cancelled
Got two ticketed itin cancelled, one on KE stock and the other on DL stock

Still have one booked on Opodo.fr and ticketed on DL stock sticking....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.