Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
$700 in Expedia refunds have posted to my credit card, but the original airline charges are still all showing as "temporary authorizations."

My statement closes tomorrow. If the charges don't post by then, I can add "postpone $700 in payments to the credit card company" to all the other great benefits of this deal!
Ohh this is weird... the authorizations have dropped off! Refunds are still there.

Yes, I know there's a snowball's chance in hell of them just forgetting to charge me but remembering to refund me. But maybe...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sinoed09
I wouldn't risk it, leave well enough alone. If you want to stay at a better (but still cheap) place try NY NY across the street. You can get rooms there from around $29/nt with a players card and I think they're only $40-$50 without one. NY NY works very hard to treat you like a person and earn your business. $20 got me a corner suite on the 36th floor, VIP passes, vouchers and more coupons than I knew what to do with. Plus its nice to have cheap eats downstairs. The other option would be Tropicana since rooms are extremely cheap right now and they're all completely renovated. They're working on upgrading the hotel but I've heard the new rooms are great.

If you do end up staying at Excalibur check out the Sherwood Forest Cafe and see if they have any late night deals going. They've had specials a few times ($7 NY strip after 10pm) and it was an easy walk from MB. I know the steak deal was done the last time I was there but I'm not sure if they have any current promos - its worth a look.
Some good ideas. Thanks.

And ty jetta2.0t and abitlost for the perspective.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by travfar
Wait. People actually spend time in their rooms in Vegas? When I go, we normally just shower there. For a little bathroom time, an upgrade (even for only $20), seems to be overkill.
I go to Vegas for the hotel rooms. I like living in hotel rooms that are nicer than my rooms at home.

This expedia deal puts me in the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas for a much lower nightly cost than I pay to live at home.

That is my kind of vacation.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by IAkH
I messed up my first booking this way... trying to book 12/10-12/12 i ended up booking "10/12" - "10/12" some how

Aw well, throw away package. Debating whether or not I want to spend $175 now to get $240 credit for next year
Example #1 of, even though it sometimes takes a little longer, you always use the stupid calendar button.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by SensFan
Pretty much everywhere but the US date format - dd/mm/yy. Smallest to biggest, makes a lot more sense than the order you say it or whatever reason you guys go mm/dd/yy.
Because most places, even the ones that write it dd/mm/yy, say it mm/dd/yy. We just keep it consistent.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by benjiem1
Because most places, even the ones that write it dd/mm/yy, say it mm/dd/yy.
Disagree.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:06 am

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
while we're on that topic I'd also like to point out how most countries besides US also use a "," in place of "." and vice-versa when dealing with numbers.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by SFO777
I don't recall "buying" this option. Anyone else receive this? Does this mean I get a free shuttle ride, once I receive my Expedia voucher?
Wasn't free, per se. Expedia automatically added ground transportation for my two bookings unless I unchecked it. I unchecked it on my wife's booking and left it checked, modified for two roundtrip on my booking. Still kept it under $300 with stay at Mandalay Bay since we're only coming from PHX and airfare is cheaper than most. ($171 CAD).
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sinoed09
One more thing to throw into the mix.. it doesn't matter where you park you're responsible for that rental car. You face the same risks when you leave the agency or when driving, but an airport parking lot tends to have a lot of traffic and people at all times. If someone runs into it, or worse, it gets vandalized, your 'savings' will evaporate into thin air. I'd take the taxi just so I didn't have to worry about that.
The risk is there whenever you park in a public place, and I don't think airport parking lots are worse than public streets -- rather the opposite. If your CC covers these things, no worries.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by SFO777
Originally Posted by Shareholder
SFO777 Maybe you missed this default check off after the hotel booking screen. You were offered several transportation options but the shuttle already had a check mark in it's box for $12.50 additional. You likely forgot to remove it.
Yup, didn't even see that one. With the $0.00 price, I wasn't really paying attention to that part of the booking process. Thanks.
I think it's absolutely hilarious that this practice of automatically checking boxes that usually makes extra money sneakily for Expedia.ca, in this case ended up costing them more money!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:00 am

Thanks to those who replied re: ok to confirm hotel res

I paid over $600 for my bookings but I needed hotels for more than one night.
I also worried they would enforce the completion of all segments and couldn't put the OH through more than 4 flights haha

I have an email from spafinder but it's just for 10% off gift vouchers. Came right after my booking on Saturday. What offers have they been emailing others?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:35 am

The big problem with this deal is that any mileage run that I look at now that is more expensive than free just doesn't seem to be worth it
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
One of the itineraries I booked was for an expensive, peak airline ticket and I used this deal to lower the price of the tix. Today I see that LH is having a two-day sale and my airline tix would be 200 less than I bought it for over the weekend (repriced it on the site). Do you think xp.ca would adjust the price of the airline tix part because of this.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I no-showed without checking in for both the flight connected to the hotel I stayed in and the hotel for the flight I took.
No problems with no-showing the hotel??? I plan to do the same, but am worried they will count it as a cancellation and hit me for the $300 discount!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wish people would quit complaining about the extra $2 to $3 they had to pay on this free or extremely discounted trip. My charges finally posted along with my $8 foreign transaction fee. this brings my total out of pocket for flight and hotel of $49 and i'm happy to pay it over the full price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.