Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Read carefully. Some people booked throw away fare (eg BUR-LAS) with choice accomodation (eg suite at the Venetian) to be combined with choice air fare and throw away hotel (eg Rancho Fiesta).
^ This is what I'll be doing.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:20 pm

I booked two. One is paid by my citi credit card, the other is paid by BOA debit card. I got both the package refund and the foreign transfer fee refund from the citi cc, but I only got the package refund from the BOA debit card without the foreign transfer fee. Is there something wrong?? Is it because it is a debit card so that I cannot get the refund??????
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wenlan
I booked two. One is paid by my citi credit card, the other is paid by BOA debit card. I got both the package refund and the foreign transfer fee refund from the citi cc, but I only got the package refund from the BOA debit card without the foreign transfer fee. Is there something wrong?? Is it because it is a debit card so that I cannot get the refund??????
Does your BofA debit card charge a FTF to begin with?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
I think these types of deals tend to blur the line of a MR and you get many who are not looking to top of their FF account but rather are looking for a cheap (free) vacation.

It isn't the classic MR junkie that would be willing to drop a few $100 on an international MR but the "slickdeal" crowd that stress over a $3 mail in rebate.

Don't get me wrong, I think both are valid reasons to grab this deal, but there is very little MR discussion in this thread (not much routing/mile bonus/etc discussion - more "spa coupon", mixed airline itins and even throw-away flights (OMG, a MR deal and you aren't even flying!).

I'm glad this thread was in the MR deals forum to begin with (I check here more than the hotel deals/budget travel), but in reality it may fit better elsewhere.
It's interesting you should put it that way, because I was just noticing how many more people were whining about the few extra dollars here than at slickdeals. I was a little surprised.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Has anyone actually changed their flights with the airline yet?
Short answer: yes

Long answer:

When I booked the package on Saturday morning, I opted for the cheapest flight to stay under CA$300. A preferable return flight was available for CA$12 extra, but at the time I wasn't sure if I was even going to go on the trip (or whether it would stick) so I went for the options without net out-of-pocket expenses.

When the package went through, I cleared the trip with Mrs Beerup and we made her booking, paying more for a nicer hotel. At that point, I wished that I had opted for the better flight (later departure on the return). I viewed the flights on alaskaairlines.com using the PNR provided by expedia.ca and it included the usual clause that flights can be changed fee-free within 24hr of booking. Therefore I decided to call AS to change to the better flight for both reservations.

The AS agent told me I would have to pay the $150 change fee (which wasn't worth it for me), so I told her that when I logged into alaskaairlines.com to view the records it stated that I should be able to change for free. She told me that that was only for alaskaairlines.com bookings and not through a TA, but I repeated that it was specifically stated when I entered my PNRs. She put me on hold and then a few minutes later came back and said that she had gone to the website and seen what I was talking about, that it was a mistake, but they would honor it anyway. I paid the extra CA$12 for each PAX to change flights. (This change was made before the rule modification about the coupon being void if components were cancelled).

Anyway, the next morning, Mrs Beerup and I each received an email from expedia.ca stating that our flight itinerary had been changed

Dear Expedia.ca Traveler,
We have received notice from Alaska Airlines that changes have been made to your itinerary number xxxxxxxxxxxx. These changes could include date or time changes as well as cancellations. The following flights are affected:

[NEW ITINERARY]

If you have been in direct contact with the airline and have initiated these changes yourself, there is no need to contact us.

Expedia.ca has updated your itinerary based on the changes provided by the airline. If you believe there has been an error or you would like to discuss alternate flight options, please contact us at:
1-888-EXPEDIA (1-888-397-3342) or from outside North America at +1-613-780-1386.

Please note that changes made directly with the airline may not be available for viewing in your Expedia.ca itinerary.

Another day later we received the illustrious expedia.ca second confirmation emails. All of the charges to my cc are in order and I have received the refunds.

Of course YMMV, but it is also worth mentioning that the flight I changed to was one originally offered as an option for the hotel & flight package and so the flights and hotels still make a credible package. This could be viewed differently to a flight change to days that are incompatible with the hotel or receiving future flight credit (which many posters have suggested would be their intent). However, I do suspect that there is no human intervention in reporting the itinerary change and so a flight change to incompatible days might go unnoticed (or uncared about), but that is just my guess.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
beerup, great job sticking to your guns and reading the T&C's or fare rules

I'm not sure that is something that most of those who bought on this trip have done
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels Platinum
I completed my Expedia trip last night and it all went very smoothly except that my flight was delayed 3.5 hours in SFO so I decided to do a quick (but expensive @ $4 per BART ride) In-n-Out run to Millbrae only to find that they are all closed on American Turkey Day. Luckily, there was an L & L Hawaiian restaurant next door so I was able to try that American dining establishment for the 1st time and it was very satisfying!

I only booked one night's hotel with the package so upon checking out of my 1st hotel, I booked Bally's on Expedia for my second night, so they got a few extra bucks from me, deservedly so

In case this was not covered upthread, for those who will be relying on public transportation, there is a new bus service: The Strip & Downtown Express (SDX) http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tra...(11-07-10).pdf.

Unfortunately, I had already booked my monorail pass before discovering the SDX, but it's on a bendy-bus and I believe all of its stops have machines so that people can purchase their fares beforehand instead of delaying the bus slotting dollar bills into the farebox onboard. It only has a few stops on the strip and heads to downtown. Both termini are at the outlet malls on each side of the city. The fare structure for the SDX is the same as for the Deuce. I did take the bus to the Premium Outlet mall from the Sahara and it was fine.

Also, I did read at a bus stop that there will be a new bus route starting in mid-December that will go from the Airport to the Trop. Ah, I found the link. Starting December 12, 2010, you can go from McCarran Airport to the Tropicana Hotel on transit. It appears that it will be running every 45 minutes to 60 minutes during the day, so it's not an ideal form of transport for the time conscious but maybe it'll be good info for someone.

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tra...(11-07-10).pdf

Hope this comes in handy for you carless folk and transit fans!

Last edited by YEGcited; Nov 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:59 pm

Thanks YEGcited for the very useful transit update. I hope you got enough sun to see you through the winter!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:04 pm

Oh I wish I had read this thread before!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by YEGcited
Also, I did read at a bus stop that there will be a new bus route starting in mid-December that will go from the Airport to the Trop. Ah, I found the link. Starting December 12, 2010, you can go from McCarran Airport to the Tropicana Hotel on transit. It appears that it will be running every 45 minutes to 60 minutes during the day, so it's not an ideal form of transport for the time conscious but maybe it'll be good info for someone.

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tra...(11-07-10).pdf

Hope this comes in handy for you carless folk and transit fans!
Thanks so much! I fly into Vegas on the 12th and am staying at New York, New York right where this bus stops... $2 for a 10-minute ride, can't beat that!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I was able to rent a car from Alamo in Vegas for $11 night (all-in) using the costco $25 off coupon (weekend rental of 3 or more days). Not sure how easily that can be duplicated for other dates, though.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: UA AA and more
Bummer

I booked two separate trips, one for flights+hotel for me++ and another one for activities/coupons.
I booked different dates for the activities and coupons because I wanted the cheapest available flights, now I tried to change the dates of my coupons and the activity vendor said I have to go thru expedia, and expedia said that in order to change the dates they have to cancel and make new ones.
Now I was scared that they will cancel my free ones and book new ones that cost money so I said I'm not gonna do it, but am still looking for a viable solution.

Right now the only thing I think of is calling the vendors again about 48hrs prior to the dates that they [should] have on their computer.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
No more or less than many of the posts on this thread I guess....
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
For those still missing credits on their CC/debit card, Expedia says 7-10 business days to process. That'll take us into next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.