Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle
You do not want your own car in Vegas, transportation is fast and easy to find.
Originally Posted by nicnac16
I find rental cars to be more of a hassle in Vegas, I'd only recommend one if you plan on going off strip.
Originally Posted by buschoi
Same question here. I have never been there without a rental car. What I may do is to see if I can find a great rental rate and use one of the special mileage-earning promotion codes listed in another thread.

I want to hear others on the public transportation in Vegas, too.
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I always rent car in Vegas. I pay on average $25 a day. I go to other places beside the 'strip'. No problem with parking in Vegas eather.
I've done Vegas with and without a car; if you have a centrally located strip hotel walking is pretty easy in the cool weather (I wouldn't recommend it in July).

For the three trips I book I have also reserved a car for two of them.

1) Traveling with a companion and the car+tax is less than the cost of 2X airport shuttle rides - no brainer.

2) Solo trip, two days, car+tax is $20 premium over the shuttle, I'm 50/50 on whether or not I am keeping it.

3) I actually mistakenly booked a shuttle with the hotel+air package - kind of glad I did, as cars are about $50/day (with tax).

For #2 my base rate is only $8.80/day for the car, but like most places Vegas is adding more and more taxes and fee - final cost is $35 - 100% taxes and fees
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by rjw242
Public what now?

If I remember correctly there's an overpriced monorail between some of the less popular hotels, and a frequent bus that runs up and down the Strip itself. Strip traffic is already interminably slow and the bus even more so. Taxis and/or inter-hotel shuttles are probably your best bet since they know how to use side streets to avoid the worst jams.
Public transit exists; when I made my bimonthly trips to Vegas I would just take the bus that picks up @ LAS and take it up to the Hilton. The CAT route parallels the Strip and there is the Deuce (the Strip bus). All day pass is $7 (or $5 if not using Deuce). Google Las Vegas bus and you'll have all the info.

I'll also add that car rental can be as low as 10 a day.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
<removed>

Last edited by tmm1012; Nov 21, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
A lot of people are saying traffic is bad on the strip but last night I drove up and and down the strip with my (local) friend half a dozen times from 7:30-1am. There was traffic, sure, but it wasn't really that slow. More the driving itself was bad. Only in Vegas do you have cabbies that can't drive! If you've driven in Manhattan or really anywhere outside North America you can handle it...

Also, parking in Vegas is amazing from the point of view of someone more used to normal cities. Free Valet everywhere and easy self-parking as well.

Have fun!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
My question here is that if the refund will decrease my overall purchase amount or not? For example, I need to spend 1000$ to get the bonus from the cc company, so with the airline charge 200$ and the refund 200$, then I spend nothing here or I spend 200$ here?
$0 spend
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
CTC yes, Sweet Dilemma no. But occasionally one could get lucky. Charge a few bucks at the hotel to see if it changes to qualified stay.

PP might be good idea but the flights are short so not a whole lot of flight pts gained but since you have 6... that should add up to a tidy sum.

You still did very well though.

Oh, and forget about public transport at Vegas - You can walk the strip with intermittent pit stops. Traffic on the strip is horrible anyway, from the corner of Tropicana turning into Strip to all the way up. Back streets are the way to go if you have a car. Else you would be really frustrated being stuck in the traffic, especially on a bus, is not fun.

I actually think if I can find a reasonable rental I would do it for some good airline promo.
Good to know about the SD. I do have to admin I am new to PC.

Just did some research on the car rental (thanks to the snow in SEA and I am staying home). The cheapest car rental I found on the three days I will be there is $80 with Avis plus 3k AA miles. Taxi would have been about $15 ow, or bus would have been $2.

I am totally aware of the strip traffic. That's how my family and I missed a show 2 years ago. So I am trying to avoid it by not driving especially when my hotels (Paris and Trump) are right on the strip. The car does give me more flexibility though especially when I am going with a friend who has never been there and I may take him to places like Hoover Dam.

Last edited by buschoi; Nov 23, 2010 at 12:14 pm
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by nicnac16
I find rental cars to be more of a hassle in Vegas, I'd only recommend one if you plan on going off strip.
Or if there's a phenomenal FF / rental car promotion - the weeks around Christmas, I've gotten last-minute car rentals the past two years for less than $9 a day base rate (add about $14 in LAS taxes per day).
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Many cards dont show the authorizations as line items but the amount is hidden in the calculation of available credit. Your available credit should have gone down by the amount of charges posted and pending charges which you would not see it yet but they are included in the calculation.

From what have been posted, it seems JetBlue is the only airline that has not taken an authorization. Is JetBlue your airline?
pre authorizations were showing up yesterday but they are gone. No my available credit has not gone down. The flights booked on these 2 cards are from AA , Delta and US Airways. The Vegas vacation was done on AMEX and I have JETBLUE on that and I do not see any charges/credits on them..
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
pre authorizations were showing up yesterday but they are gone. No my available credit has not gone down. The flights booked on these 2 cards are from AA , Delta and US Airways. The Vegas vacation was done on AMEX and I have JETBLUE on that and I do not see any charges/credits on them..
Which card(s) do you use?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Has anyone posted who booked the highest number of trips? Did anyone book more than 10? 15?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver
If you check coupon codes and Corp id's carefully, you might be able to get a really good deal on a car in LAS this time of year. I was able to get a full size car for less than $20 taxes included, double FF miles, and an additional driver included. Costco is a great place to get these codes. Takes some time plugging in these codes to find the magic one, but well worth it.

I personally dont trust the shuttle busses. They very often do not show up for the return to the airport, or show up late. Plus if you stay downtown, it can take over an hour to get there.....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I was able to get a car from Hertz for $12 all in
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
I was able to get a car from Hertz for $12 all in
please let us know the coupon and corporate codes thanks
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi
Which card(s) do you use?

Citibank Mastercard (credit card) virtual number

well fargo Visa debit card

for jetblue I used AMEX starwood
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Public transit exists; when I made my bimonthly trips to Vegas I would just take the bus that picks up @ LAS and take it up to the Hilton. The CAT route parallels the Strip and there is the Deuce (the Strip bus). All day pass is $7 (or $5 if not using Deuce). Google Las Vegas bus and you'll have all the info.

I'll also add that car rental can be as low as 10 a day.
Since I will be staying in Candlewood, I will need a ride to get myself to the strip anyhow...I booked Full Size for 20 bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.