Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by payam81
Do remember though, flights are meant to be taken in the order they're booked (i.e. BUF-ORD-LAS if you don't take BUF-ORD, your ORD-LAS is canceled automatically) so the legacy airline rules do apply to the air tix portion, just like any other tix.
I'm 99% sure the answer to this is "yes", but if the outbound and return flights are on different (non-partner) airlines, charged separately to my credit card (albeit from the same Expedia package) and with different reservation codes, do these rules still apply? Just wanted to check before I spring for a separate plane ticket out of Vegas.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by learningtime
Despite being an aviation enthusiast, travel in domestic coach is something I simply "tolerate".
Cool what you're doing.
Who said anything about flying in coach? I've got confirmed FC seats for my first RT. When I check my other 4 flights, FC is wide open. Even if I don't get upgraded on all flights, exit row is ok for 4 hours flight
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:55 pm

I think expedia.ca took note of some of my personal info (birthday, FF#, or something). After multiple attempts with new laptops, new credit cards, new tel#, new emails, I still can't get the voucher to book. or maybe the system is smart enough now to stop the voucher from applying when I click non Canada Billing address... I get the following message:

"The voucher code you entered is not valid. Please check the code and enter it again or select I don't have a voucher to continue"

Is anyone experiencing the same problem?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
I'm waiting to hear that someone booked a mileage run each day for the whole month of December (30 flights).

30 flights x 4,000 miles = 120,000 base miles

Book out of one of the bonus cities on DL (double EQM/10K bonus RDM), get 300,000 bonus RDM!

120,000 base miles x 2 (elite bonus) = 240,000 RDM + 300,000 bonus RDM = 540,000 RDM plus 240,000 EQM (with rollover)

I wish I had no obligations
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by usa18dca
Expedia took care of the Hotel + Activities Fees already, so the refund is for airfare.
Exactly. The only thing they need to (or perhaps can!) charge externally is the flight, so they charge the flight to your CC and then give a refund that is the right amount to leave a difference between the flight and refund equal to the bottom line cost to you after the discount was applied. For instance, if your invoice looked like:

Package booking cost: C$311.14
Taxes & service fees: C$72.87
(SAVE300: -C$300.00)
Package total: C$84.01

And the actual costs to Expedia were:
C$230.45 - Airfare
C$89.02 - Hotel
C$64.54 - Misc items, airport transfers, Broadway tix, etc

Then you would see this on your "View Payment History":
C$230.45 - United charged (Purchase type: Airline fee; Processed by: Other; Action: Submitted)
C$146.44 - Expedia refund (Purchase type: Package; Processed by: Expedia.ca; Action: Refunded)
Bottom line cost to you: C$84.01 (Matches package total from right before checkout completion)
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by rjw242
I'm 99% sure the answer to this is "yes", but if the outbound and return flights are on different (non-partner) airlines, charged separately to my credit card (albeit from the same Expedia package) and with different reservation codes, do these rules still apply? Just wanted to check before I spring for a separate plane ticket out of Vegas.
Well, quite possibly not! That's cool! Call the airlines and quiz them about it. Or actually, easier, just see if you have separate eticket numbers. If you do, you don't need to take outbound flight.

Think of the possibilities if we'd discovered this earlier!! Well, something to stick in our bag of tricks for the next Expedia promo.

Tell us whether you have different eticket numbers!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I hate to be the one to throw water on your passion, but if XP.ca does cancel and offer some kind of peace offering, are you really going to travel to a different country, file a $300 small claims court case? By the way, Ontario requires you to pay $75, travel to the municipal office, serve the papers, then come back to the office to swear an affidavit of service)...and come back to Toronto to plead the case?

Just an FYI, the taxes and fees for flying out of YYZ all of those times would eat up most of the recovery.

I forsee them doing a bulk cancellation on Monday, except for people that are already in progress (who are covered by Ontario's travel protection act). They would then negotiate settlements with the legitimate people covered by the promotion (enough to prevent a class-action lawsuit).

I'm sure their risk management executives are being called back into the office by now to do a brain-storming session with their customer relations team for a cost-benefit analysis.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by TAWS
I wish I had no obligations
You could do like IAHtraveler above and do all your flying between your obligations (out every night, back in time for work the next morning). Talk about dedication
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Priority Club: Platinum, Avis: First
Yes, find your Itinerary....go to My Itinerary .....enter email and expedia itinerary number....on the page is a View Payment Summary

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by jbart74
AZ, you've got 100+ pages of tips and tricks to guide you through the process. If you read 10 of them you'll know everything you need to -- promise!
With these fast-closing deals, there may simply not be time to read all of the 45 pages.

To answer the original question, I think this offer basically closed around 10:00 EST, because an attempted booking made after that asked a question about being Canadian that hadn't been there half an hour earlier. (By the way, how annoying is it to have to click through so many screens and re-type info just to find out it doesn't work?)

If you want to keep trying, here are a couple of points that have been tripping people up:

For NY, only hotels in Manhattan qualify.

For multiple bookings, use multiple credit card account numbers.

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
People forget that Expedia can still bill you even if you do a chargeback. They have been known to send the amount into collections, essentially extorting you out of the money since they can hurt your credit score.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
I booked my first trip to NYC with this voucher in the wee hours of the morning today as a roundtrip on Continental and 1 night hotel (with an AMEX card), and it shows in the itinerary payment history on Expedia as $180 ish charge to Continental Airlines, along with a $150 ish credit from Expedia for the promo. I booked my 2nd trip (with a VISA card) at around 5:15pm Eastern time today, this time with a JetBlue flight and 1 night hotel, and the total cost came to about $320 before the voucher discount, so it was $20 after the voucher. In the payment history for this itinerary it only shows the $20 charged, nothing additional for the airline. I'm wondering if the payments/credits are done differently with JetBlue on Expedia than with other airlines?

Now that I notice, the first confirmation contained the following note. The 2nd one did not:
Note: The flight portion of your vacation package is charged directly by the airline. This will result in you receiving a separate credit card charge for the flight, but the total charges on your credit card will be equal to the vacation package price.
I have the same as you: simply the final charge for Jetblue flight. There is no charge and credit as others report.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by TAWS
I'm waiting to hear that someone booked a mileage run each day for the whole month of December (30 flights).
While it would be absolutely awesome, hotels are cost prohibitive on a lot of dates, which kept me from going to LAS a few more times. And it'd take a lot of coordination because Expedia will only allow you to fly out one day & back the next calendar day (not the same day)... so you'd either have to have lots of overlapping flights or out 1 day, redeye after midnight back; rinse; repeat.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:12 pm

Warning: all the preauthorized charges (not actual charges) against my debit cards have disappeared altogether, with no actual charges in their place! Does this mean I should expect a mass cancellation of my bookings? And no: I didn't have a zeroed out balance to pay after the coupon was deducted.

Last edited by londonienne; Nov 20, 2010 at 9:18 pm
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Well, quite possibly not! That's cool! Call the airlines and quiz them about it. Or actually, easier, just see if you have separate eticket numbers. If you do, you don't need to take outbound flight.

Think of the possibilities if we'd discovered this earlier!! Well, something to stick in our bag of tricks for the next Expedia promo.

Tell us whether you have different eticket numbers!
Same ticket number, so looks like I can't ditch the outbound I'll try calling the airline anyway, but most likely I'll have to buy that one-way ticket separately. Nuts, this means I'll be spending upwards of $100 on two rooms at the Wynn plus two roundtrip airline tickets! It's an outrage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.