Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by flyflyflyokokok
Even if there are 2 separate airlines? I didn't think this was the case. We used this deal to get from one city to another... with a stop in Vegas. So we have RT tix into Vegas, and RT tix into Vegas from our actual destination city. But we are only using half the flights. The concern would be for the SECOND flight TO Vegas -- We are not getting on that flight (we will already be in Vegas). The RETURN flight is on a different airline.

You think they will cancel it? How?
Yup. Your LAS to your "actual destination city" tickets will be canceled. I would suggest calling Expedia and trying to get everything refunded if you're out of pocket significant enough money to warrant a 3 hour on-hold time.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Am I the only one scanning this thread for the pages I missed only reading the posters who have 500 or more posts?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, AA, BA, US
Congratulations to Expedia.ca on their resoundingly successful promotion.

They will have serious problems if they try to cancel en masse. All of us who booked US originating travel did so on their website, which plausibly constitutes a Canadian booking. Had they intended to limit the promotion to travel originating in Canada, they could have said so. The fact that they felt compelled to add this proviso later only underscores that this limitation was not originally part of the deal.

I have a confirmation email, US Airways shows I have a confirmed flight and the Expedia itinerary says I have a confirmed hotel room. My credit card was charged by the airline, and the charge was partially recredited by Expedia. Oh, and I'm Canadian.

That's a contract. Both parties have performed. We're done.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
question,

how can they do a mass cancelation on monday if we all have an e-ticket? wouldnt airlines charge ex.ca up the *** with their fees?

also, i never saved the PDF of the original terms and conditions, can someone please forward it to me? i would really appreciate it!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by djmagnum
also, i never saved the PDF of the original terms and conditions, can someone please forward it to me? i would really appreciate it!
Here.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Yup. Your LAS to your "actual destination city" tickets will be canceled. I would suggest calling Expedia and trying to get everything refunded if you're out of pocket significant enough money to warrant a 3 hour on-hold time.

We can just ride back with friends who will be driving. These were 100% free after the $300 back. We are not proactively "canceling", so that should not effect the refund in my mind. A no-show sounds very very different than actually canceling a portion.

That sound right?

If you no-show on a flight portion... they should not be in a position to try and take back ca$hola. People miss flights all the time.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Surely this has to have a significant effect on the economy...and still no news stories?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if there are 2 separate airlines? I didn't think this was the case. We used this deal to get from one city to another... with a stop in Vegas. So we have RT tix into Vegas, and RT tix into Vegas from our actual destination city. But we are only using half the flights. The concern would be for the SECOND flight TO Vegas -- We are not getting on that flight (we will already be in Vegas). The RETURN flight is on a different airline.

You think they will cancel it? How?

This was all booked PRIOR to the changed T&C from Expedia.
The rule of thumb is, if you do not fly the outbound, your inbound (return) portion will be automatically canceled by the airline's system. They dont need to inform you, nor Expedia.

It has NOTHING to do with what the Ts & Cs of this promotion whatsoever.

So if the portion you intend to ditch is the return leg of the ticket, then you are OK. If the portion you intend to ditch is the outbound leg and you need the return leg to go back to Vegas, you are SOL - i.e. you will be at the airport and find yourself have no reservation - canceled by the airline due to your no show of the outbound leg.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We can just ride back with friends who will be driving. These were 100% free after the $300 back. We are not proactively "canceling", so that should not effect the refund in my mind. A no-show sounds very very different than actually canceling a portion.

That sound right?

If you no-show on a flight portion... they should not be in a position to try and take back ca$hola. People miss flights all the time.
People miss flights when they are still at their Originating cities, NOT miss the outbound flights and then show up at the destination cities and trying to use the 2nd half of their tickets.

Trust the posters here, especially HansGolden who is a Travel Agent, if you do not fly the outbound your inbound portion of the ticket will be canceled. Again, it has NOTHING to do with Expedia. It is the Airline which cancels your itinerary due to the no show for the outbound.

If you dont take some remedy action now, you may find yourself at the airport with no reservation and have to buy an expensive one-way ticket to get back to Vegas. Good Luck!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
People miss flights when they are still at their Originating cities, NOT miss the outbound flights and then show up at the destination cities and trying to use the 2nd half of their tickets.

Trust the posters here, especially HansGolden who is a Travel Agent, if you do not fly the outbound your inbound portion of the ticket will be canceled. Again, it has NOTHING to do with Expedia. It is the Airline which cancels your itinerary due to the no show for the outbound.

If you dont take some remedy action now, you may find yourself at the airport with no reservation and have to buy an expensive one-way ticket to get back to Vegas. Good Luck!

I got all that. My question only had to do with Expedia because they are claiming (or so I thought) that there were going to be problems if people canceled portions.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Booked mine yesterday afternoon -- IAH-LAS $20.56 total.
Now I have to cancel. Work is getting in the way. Don't these people realize I have trips to take and life to lead?

Should I call Expedia to cancel the whole thing, or just cancel the airline ticket on the CO website and call the hotel directly and cancel that way?
Does it make a difference?
I know I will be out the $20.56 at least, but of course that's okay. I also don't expect to get any residual value from the CO ticket, because as far as I'm concerned, there isn't any and I'm not really entitled to it.
What's the worst outcome possible, considering this is well past the 24 hour cancellation time?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
All these posts, my head is swimming. POS DEBIT UNITED AIRLINE TORONTO OK & Chase bank is still holding the full ammount of the booking before the discount. Any idea how long or how I get the refund?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle
Sorry, took me this long to register and wait for my activation email LOL

But as of 11:05pm Eastern time my order went through with the code working. I went through the normal process and it kept telling me the code is invalid (because of US address probably) so I kept changing it back and forth from Canada to non-Canada address and retrying code and it eventually worked. So if it isn't working for you, just keep retrying the code clicking back and forth on the address button from Canada to non-Canada and it might work...

Thanks again, hopefully it works for me! Booked Seattle to Vegas for one night and got a free trip. I wanted my wife to come but she loves Christmas time and needs her "prep" time and didn't want to spend the time away!?! So I'm going myself to watch some football in a sports bookie lounge, go to Casa Fuente in Caesar's Palace to smoke a cigar or two, do some gambling, watch some more football, enjoy some good food etc. Instead of sitting my butt on the couch on Sunday watching football, it will just be Vegas!
I am glad you registered.

Welcome to FT
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by erasmus99
Surely this has to have a significant effect on the economy...and still no news stories?
Assume they sold 100,000 of these and refunded 300 each. That's only 30 million dollars. VERY small amount compared to any one company on the Fortune 500, much less the economy.

30 million is SMALL in terms of any economic impact.

-- Mike
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
All these posts, my head is swimming. POS DEBIT UNITED AIRLINE TORONTO OK & Chase bank is still holding the full ammount of the booking before the discount. Any idea how long or how I get the refund?
Likely temporary authorizations only. It takes several days for transactions to post and credit on most cards (especially on debit related cards). My amex and my wifes amex have yet to post confirmed transactions for either (only temp pre-auths). We booked @ 1pm friday. Check your itinerary email from expedia, click view itinerary, click view payment history. Should be two lines, one from airline, second credit from expedia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.