Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Well, quite possibly not! That's cool! Call the airlines and quiz them about it. Or actually, easier, just see if you have separate eticket numbers. If you do, you don't need to take outbound flight.

Think of the possibilities if we'd discovered this earlier!! Well, something to stick in our bag of tricks for the next Expedia promo.

Tell us whether you have different eticket numbers!
There has to be two different e-ticket numbers if there are two different carriers involved.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Wait, you're not doing it with the kids?!? I've seen a FTer in an airport on a MR before with his wife and kids! NYC-SJC for a few hours.
Yup -- and this time my daughter is coming with me on an overnight to/from LAS ... I'll be picking her up prom school, flying to/from LAS, showering off in the PC at EWR and heading back to school the next morning
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
I'm 99% sure the answer to this is "yes", but if the outbound and return flights are on different (non-partner) airlines, charged separately to my credit card (albeit from the same Expedia package) and with different reservation codes, do these rules still apply? Just wanted to check before I spring for a separate plane ticket out of Vegas.
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Well, quite possibly not! That's cool! Call the airlines and quiz them about it. Or actually, easier, just see if you have separate eticket numbers. If you do, you don't need to take outbound flight.

Think of the possibilities if we'd discovered this earlier!! Well, something to stick in our bag of tricks for the next Expedia promo.

Tell us whether you have different eticket numbers!
I agree.

This one isn't as slam dunk as it sounds.

Pull up the reservation on each airline's website and see if they are as oneway segments. If that's the case, I'm almost certain you're good to go!

Even if you get canceled, you can always plead ignorance (separate tix etc. excuse) and am sure the carrier will work something out for you at the airport.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Expedia will only allow you to fly out one day & back the next calendar day (not the same day
Not true. All my flights depart around 7am and I'm back home before 8pm news the same day.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TAWS
I'm waiting to hear that someone booked a mileage run each day for the whole month of December (30 flights).

30 flights x 4,000 miles = 120,000 base miles

Book out of one of the bonus cities on DL (double EQM/10K bonus RDM), get 300,000 bonus RDM!

120,000 base miles x 2 (elite bonus) = 240,000 RDM + 300,000 bonus RDM = 540,000 RDM plus 240,000 EQM (with rollover)

I wish I had no obligations :
(
Only 40 more years until I retire. Goodbye obligations.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by DaveTO
I hate to be the one to throw water on your passion, but if XP.ca does cancel and offer some kind of peace offering, are you really going to travel to a different country, file a $300 small claims court case? By the way, Ontario requires you to pay $75, travel to the municipal office, serve the papers, then come back to the office to swear an affidavit of service)...and come back to Toronto to plead the case?

Just an FYI, the taxes and fees for flying out of YYZ all of those times would eat up most of the recovery.

I forsee them doing a bulk cancellation on Monday, except for people that are already in progress (who are covered by Ontario's travel protection act). They would then negotiate settlements with the legitimate people covered by the promotion (enough to prevent a class-action lawsuit).

I'm sure their risk management executives are being called back into the office by now to do a brain-storming session with their customer relations team for a cost-benefit analysis.
This Canadian is quite sure he folowed all the promo T&C and won't waste my time worry about things I can't control that may not actually ever happen.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:22 pm

Two friends just booked trips YYZ (toronto) - LAS without any issues. No voucher problems whatsoever, worked first click. Offer seems to still be valid for Canadian departures as the terms now state.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:22 pm

WAnd it'd take a lot of coordination because Expedia will only allow you to fly out one day & back the next calendar day (not the same day)... so you'd either have to have lots of overlapping flights or out 1 day, redeye after midnight back; rinse; repeat.
I don't think that was true. To make mine a straight run, I started the booking as a flight (same day return) then added a hotel at the confirmation screen. The system then accepted the code.

I arrive at 10:20 and leave at 13:27, probably won't even leave the airport.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmeakins
Check, and yes, it's working... (four hours in...)
Are you doing a MR or actually going somewhere to hang out for the weekend?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:23 pm

I hate to be the one to throw water on your passion, but if XP.ca does cancel and offer some kind of peace offering, are you really going to travel to a different country, file a $300 small claims court case? By the way, Ontario requires you to pay $75, travel to the municipal office, serve the papers, then come back to the office to swear an affidavit of service)...and come back to Toronto to plead the case?
Or the group can all hire a lawyer whom I'm sure will be more than happy to represent the group with no retainer and just a percentage of whatever settlement comes, to file suits against Expedia in Ontario without anyone needing to come up here, at least initially.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SIA, UA, CO
Looks like the deal is dead......expedia.ca said code not valid

Originally Posted by TAWS
People forget that Expedia can still bill you even if you do a chargeback. They have been known to send the amount into collections, essentially extorting you out of the money since they can hurt your credit score.
Even if this happens, which I think it unlikely, it would presumably be from Expedia Canada. I don't think many people here are worried about their Canadian credit reports (Canadian and US credit reports are different).
And hello from a new member who found his way in from Slickdeals. Wife and I are in for a trip to NYC with hotel, meal, ground transportation and NYC pass each for $25 total

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by payam81
Or the group can all hire a lawyer whom I'm sure will be more than happy to represent the group with no retainer and just a percentage of whatever settlement who will file suits against Expedia in Ontario without anyone needing to come up here, at least initially.
They'll use the eligibility period and Canadian departure clauses to knock off most of the plaintiffs, and offer settlements that are close to what you would get after expenses from a class-action.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Yup -- and this time my daughter is coming with me on an overnight to/from LAS ... I'll be picking her up prom school, flying to/from LAS, showering off in the PC at EWR and heading back to school the next morning
Care to share the date? Maybe we'll meet up in a PC again. Is your wife coming, too?

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Not true. All my flights depart around 7am and I'm back home before 8pm news the same day.
Hmmm, whenever I tried (or try now), I get the "Packages require a 1-night minimum stay." error after page 1.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:33 pm

They'll use the eligibility period and Canadian departure clauses to knock off most of the plaintiffs, and offer settlements that are close to what you would get after expenses from a class-action.
I'm not so sure they can just knock off claims as easily as that Dave. The original T&C was very vague when it started (Canadian Bookings = Bookings made through xp.ca?) and it was fairly reasonable to assume any booking that goes through xp.ca is indeed valid. At the end if they don't honour this they will not only have a problem with all the unused hotels/seats but also have to foot legal bills etc. as well and there is a chance they get tied up in litigation for quite some time.

I'm just speculating of course but we'll all find out soon enough I guess in a few days.

BTW: They amended the T&C later to extend the eligibility period to 19th.

It's a total mess, I know...

Last edited by payam81; Nov 20, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.