Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:51 am

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by COOLIO
200k is a lot of bookings. I would imagine nearer 20k.

Interesting people discussing billing and a refund. I had 2 bookings and 1 has been charged for just the after discount rate. The other is split in 2, one charged so far. Total is the after discount price.
Quoted from http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Expedi....html?x=0&.v=1

With bookings increasing significantly Expedia reported an increased and profitable income for the quarter. Moreover, higher operating income and a lower effective tax rate helped the company pull up a strong quarter.

Journey of the Quarter

Revenue increased 15.9% year-over-year to $987.9 million and also surpassed the Zacks Consensus estimates of $940 million.

The increase in revenue was particularly due to the increase in hotel revenues and advertising and media revenues. Strong unit growth in both hotel and air sections also helped in the increased revenue.

Hotel revenue increased 14% worldwide during the quarter mainly due to a 14% increase in room nights stayed.

Worldwide air revenue also increased 14% and advertising and media revenue increased significantly by 40% in the quarter. The 40% increase was attributable to a 59% increase in third-party revenue for TripAdvisor.

Gross bookings increased 17% year-over-year and was driven primarily by 14% increase in transactions, 9% increase in average airfares and 4% growth in hotel average daily rates.

Effective tax rate came below 26% in the quarter, as compared to an approximate 34% in the first half of the year.

Operating income increased 24.1% to $276.8 million as compared to $223.0 million in year ago quarter.

That's a lot of money they are making....
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Maybe Really Actually Gone for US Originating

Well, I just tried to book a trip BOS-JFK for Monday and I got what seems to be a new error message...

"The voucher code you entered is not valid. Please check the code and enter it again or select I don't have a voucher to continue."

I re-pressed and re-pressed and repeated the whole process several times.

Maybe it's now over for US originating?

Last edited by zenexplorer; Nov 21, 2010 at 2:02 am Reason: changed "repressed" to "re-pressed" though maybe the former was more accurate - I knew it was over.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Enterprise
offer no longer available?

I just called Expedia.ca and they said the offer was pulled.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:24 am

ALL Over

I just tried to book a Canada originating itin and got the "voucher code you entered is not valid". I think it really is all over.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
After almost two days, EXPEDIA.CA finally pulled it.

******************IT'S OFFICIALLY DEAD***************
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by jammanxc
After almost two days, EXPEDIA.CA finally pulled it.

******************IT'S OFFICIALLY DEAD***************
Great, just great, when i book a flight, its now gonna tell me I have pay for it!
And what I am gonna read for the next 48 hrs?

Last edited by yuel; Nov 21, 2010 at 1:51 am
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:45 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Rest in peace. It was truly a fun ride, and now we get to see where it goes from here.

I went to bed Friday after seeing the deal. I was pretty full on travel before the year is out so I decided if it is around in the morning I will book then. I had no expectation of it lasting past Friday. Well what do you know, I made 7 bookings and now expedia is $109.72 richer because of it. Or possibly $2100 poorer. I am more of a glass half full guy anyway, but I digress...

This has to be the longest lasting deal, 'that shouldn't have been', to hit the web in years.

Last good deal I got on was a MSI geforce3 for 29.99, meant to be 299.99 at bestbuy.com. That was limited to 1 per person, it will be interesting to see what expedia marketing/operations does on Monday.

Does /=or OR /=and, that is the 30million dollar question.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:52 am

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Just tried to book YYZ-LAS to test. Getting the same error. I do believe they might actually be right this time saying the deal is dead. I can't believe it lasted as long as it did.

By the way, did anyone get any tickets for any show on Dec 24th they are not going to use? I tried to book one lore trip to get a show ticket but was unable.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:59 am

Well kids, what have we learned today.....

Well, as, I believe, the first person to "miss it" just after 3am EST, I have to say, it's a bummer, but of course it was highly unlikely to have lasted as long as it did.

As my my third grade teacher used to say... "Well kids, what have we learned today?"...

I for one have had it confirmed that when it comes to one of these deals - book it book it book it.....particularly when the absolute exposure is likely very modest, if anything, relative to the upside. At worst, I suspect, Expedia may void some US originating itineraries booked after the changes in T&Cs (though even that may not be easy) offering the buyer a choice of a refund, or paying the "full" amount. And that is likely the worst case.

Given that the terms were ambiguous for most of the time, and that the system accepted the itineraries and payment for them, I think it will be extremely hard for Expedia to do anything more severe. We'll see.

Most of all, I've been reminded that flyertalk really is unique, fun and potentially very rewarding...but we all knew that.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:04 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Congrats to all those that got some great deals. Let's put a list of DO dates and attendees. ^

Last edited by chanp; Nov 21, 2010 at 2:10 am
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
New code is: SAVE400

Just kidding!

Seriously, this deal was right up there with the BA $20 ClubWorld and the NW BUH one.
Thanks to the OP and congrats to everyone that got in on this.

Quick stupid question: how likely is AS to detect that I've missed a connecting flight on a DL metal (but with AS flt.#)?

Last edited by LAX21; Nov 21, 2010 at 2:22 am
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:15 am

Programs: I'm all in on Ultimate Rewards
have a bunch of stuff booked for mid december but don't want to plan anything until I know I'm confirmed.... think they can take it away in a week? a day?

how long until we can all breathe a little easier?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:18 am

So how many people that got in are still waiting for the refund to show up on their card statement? I was able to get in on the deal pretty late and my flight is booked, but no refund on my card yet...

We'll see
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:29 am

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Originally Posted by LAX21

Quick stupid question: how likely is AS to detect that I've missed a connecting flight on a DL metal (but with AS flt.#)?
99.9% - Those two share a lot of information when you are on a single itinerary.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:56 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Word is that this deal was part of the Obama economic stimulus plan. It is one way to get people somewhere to spend some money. Or not stay and do same day turns. BTW I posted 27 minutes after the last person. That is a record for this thread which was maddening at times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.