Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I've moved this, following the posts above re. the deal being closed ex-US, to 'fare gone' since the bulk of the interest has been flights from outside Canada, to LAS.

If this is a premature move re. flight bookings from outside Canada, please use the Alert button.

My understanding is that it's still working from Canadian airports. Further reports on the bookability of this fare is appreciated.

BiziBB, Moderator Mileage Run
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:50 am

Programs: HH Silver
It does not appear to be working from YVR any longer, so I think they probably finally pulled it altogether.

The american site made this mistake a while back, and I was able to take a trip to Vegas for $85 all in, car, hotel, air and taxes and resort fee for 5 nights during a busy weekend in Oct.

I have a friend that used to do accounting for a travel agency that Expedia bought out. She finally quit because she could not stand that they had no accountability at all. She said that they had no way of knowing if they had been paid by their corporate clients or not, and really didnt seem to care. Weird way to run a business.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm not complaining
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: QF Gold
Thank you Flyertalk

Me and 3 friends from Australia will be enjoying a nice cheapish ($190) trip to Vegas for 2 nights (at the Rio).

Worked out great, we had nothing to do in Vncouver from the 21st to the 23rd.

One day I may stumble on something and I'll make sure I repay.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
BTW everyone who wanted to call Expedia while the deal was still active, now the coast is clear.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jbart74

Revenue increased 15.9% year-over-year to $987.9 million and also surpassed the Zacks Consensus estimates of $940 million.

That's a lot of money they are making....
Wow! You should go work for an investment bank if that's your belief! Like those traders "I make so much money for the bank!".

Revenue does NOT equal profit!!

I am guessing this has cost them at least 5m if you see how many sites had this running and people making multiple bookings. That's 5% or so of revenue. I am guessing their profit is maybe in 10-20% range, so a 5% decrease in revenue with no offsetting decrease in expenses could be a serious blow to profit!

Still not entirely sure Expedia will be footing the bill as has been speculated I am sure some tourism boards are helping.

But equating revenue with profit gave me a Sunday morning chuckle
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Yup -- and this time my daughter is coming with me on an overnight to/from LAS ... I'll be picking her up prom school, flying to/from LAS, showering off in the PC at EWR and heading back to school the next morning
Wow, simply. Not sure my 4 year old would be up to it :-) But the real reason I'm not doing MRs is my one year old. No amount of miles or EQMs are probably worth dealing with him on a 3-4 hour plane ride every night. He's pretty well behaved until you get to the point when he wants to sleep and does not feel comfortable enough to sleep. Then, pure misery

IAH, agree, flying in F would make it much better than "tolerable"
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: UA, CO, AA
dust settles- debriefing for the rookies

As a rookie, I tried to take advantage of this deal (my first attempt at the MR deal)....not sure if it will pay off.

SO as the dust clears - maybe some of you pros can offer some advice to the rookies and help prevent some of the "ignorant posts" and help us get more out of it.

Looking back,as I performed the deal I learned quickly that to get it to go through, I had to book me and wife separately, use differnet email and different CCs. I also realized too late that I could change the hotel to a one night stay (for a weekend trip) instead of default full number of nights of the flight itinerary.

thirdly, I realized while booking the second ticket that the web browser lets expedia know that you already used the coupon once, right? so rookies have to understand the brwoser and how to flush/purge the memory and cookies, and history. Which I tried to do and didnt really seem to work well. I ended up having to book one in Internet explorer and other in Firefox....if iwanted to book more which I tried to do it was unsuccessful..never figured out why.

All in all, I got wife's ticket on DL BUF-NYC and room at riverside inn for about C$100....no damn hostels available....ugh!!...(throwaway hotel- will stay with fam)...my ticket which flew into ERW on CO for C$79, I called and cancelled and told I get $180 refund...I am without a ticket and somewhat screwed (same flight on DL for me to join wife is 300$ or 50k skypesos)...and i dont even know if i will actually get the 180.

lastly, SUPER frustrating not being able to book the hostels that were so cheap...why were they there to book then on search results...what wasted time!

just looking for the post-surge advice so i can do better nextime, and spend more time booking, less time checking the webposts.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
had to check on my timing, made the cutoff but not by much
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:00 am

Exclamation Travelers

There was at least one person who actually had to travel using this at 5am today. Will people who booked tickets with travel starting today please post on their success/failure? Also, of course, if you're seeing cancellations etc.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by wchang
There was at least one person who actually had to travel using this at 5am today. Will people who booked tickets with travel starting today please post on their success/failure? Also, of course, if you're seeing cancellations etc.
Someone already flew yesterday, no problems at all with that traveller and he/she posted using inflight WiFi.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by wchang
Actually, some folks were already flying yesterday and so far no one's reported any problems.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Revenue does NOT equal profit!!

I am guessing this has cost them at least 5m if you see how many sites had this running and people making multiple bookings. That's 5% or so of revenue. I am guessing their profit is maybe in 10-20% range, so a 5% decrease in revenue with no offsetting decrease in expenses could be a serious blow to profit!

But equating revenue with profit gave me a Sunday morning chuckle
Specially when we talk about travel agency accounting, since they sell travel products and services on behalf of suppliers. For hotels, car rentals, airport shuttles, event tickets, they can markup from the discounted price they get from those suppliers. For airline tickets, that is not possible. The profit travel agencies make from airline tickets is really small (tiny commission) and from what I have read in this thread, airline tickets represents 70% to 80% of each booking done with the Save300 voucher.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Still not entirely sure Expedia will be footing the bill as has been speculated I am sure some tourism boards are helping.
The question here is how much will Expedia get from tourism boards? I am sure they made their forecasts based on Canadians buying air+hotel packages. The number of times the "Save300" voucher was used might be 100 times higher than what they forecasted, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:21 am

Alright - new poster here!

I booked for myself, flight + 3 nights hotel. I booked my wife flight + 1 night hotel at the cheapest place I could find with no intention of her checking in. Will a no-show constitute a cancellation? Or should we be alright? I didn't want to do the 'split the dates between both travellers at the same hotel' because I didn't want to have to check out and check in mid-week or any hassles like that!

Thoughts? Should I be trying to get her hotel changed to mine so that we can just check in and not use the room for the night? Or will that jeopardize my whole plan?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tylerc
Alright - new poster here!

I booked for myself, flight + 3 nights hotel. I booked my wife flight + 1 night hotel at the cheapest place I could find with no intention of her checking in. Will a no-show constitute a cancellation? Or should we be alright? I didn't want to do the 'split the dates between both travellers at the same hotel' because I didn't want to have to check out and check in mid-week or any hassles like that!

Thoughts? Should I be trying to get her hotel changed to mine so that we can just check in and not use the room for the night? Or will that jeopardize my whole plan?
Call the hotel directly day of arrival and them them you are stuck somewhere and can't make it. The hotel won't care since Expedia paid them already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.