FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:36 am
cotter77

Programs: UA, CO, AA
dust settles- debriefing for the rookies

As a rookie, I tried to take advantage of this deal (my first attempt at the MR deal)....not sure if it will pay off.

SO as the dust clears - maybe some of you pros can offer some advice to the rookies and help prevent some of the "ignorant posts" and help us get more out of it.

Looking back,as I performed the deal I learned quickly that to get it to go through, I had to book me and wife separately, use differnet email and different CCs. I also realized too late that I could change the hotel to a one night stay (for a weekend trip) instead of default full number of nights of the flight itinerary.

thirdly, I realized while booking the second ticket that the web browser lets expedia know that you already used the coupon once, right? so rookies have to understand the brwoser and how to flush/purge the memory and cookies, and history. Which I tried to do and didnt really seem to work well. I ended up having to book one in Internet explorer and other in Firefox....if iwanted to book more which I tried to do it was unsuccessful..never figured out why.

All in all, I got wife's ticket on DL BUF-NYC and room at riverside inn for about C$100....no damn hostels available....ugh!!...(throwaway hotel- will stay with fam)...my ticket which flew into ERW on CO for C$79, I called and cancelled and told I get $180 refund...I am without a ticket and somewhat screwed (same flight on DL for me to join wife is 300$ or 50k skypesos)...and i dont even know if i will actually get the 180.

lastly, SUPER frustrating not being able to book the hostels that were so cheap...why were they there to book then on search results...what wasted time!

just looking for the post-surge advice so i can do better nextime, and spend more time booking, less time checking the webposts.