Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by swintec
it doesnt mean that at all. there is a footnote for that point and that addresses those who have multiple cards that give yearly elite credits. this was mentioned since the new program first was announced in april. marriott accounts are only going to receive one yearly bonus going forward. none of the wording addresses the 1 night / $3k spending which stands to reason it will stick around until it is formally canceled. i have to imagine that feature is such a drop in the bucket in the long run it probably isnt worth ruffling the feathers of those card holders.
If it was a drop in the bucket, why is it not part of the benefits of the new card? They'd probably get a lot more people to upgrade if it was.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I just looked at the new card with Chase. A link to convert my existing card. Easy to fill out form...then it said "sorry no offer for you".
I called Chase today to upgrade my card and they said the link is currently not working but it should be fixed around 7/9.
They were able to upgrade me over the phone and told me I would receive 10k points after 1 purchase, a 25k point anniversary free night certificate in September, and the new 35k point certificate next year.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
If it was a drop in the bucket, why is it not part of the benefits of the new card? They'd probably get a lot more people to upgrade if it was.
the trade off was obviously 2x the points versus 1x and an elite night per $3k. to those who the benefit is important to, they no doubt would not have upgraded at any point in the last few months, despite the marketing push by chase to do so. they surely have the data to see who is holding out on the old card because they value it and the numbers (and the number of nights Chase are purchasing each month to award) probably show that with those left, it isnt worth it to rock the boat with them. im sure marriott had a hand in the new card and they do not want that benefit being given right now. we have seen since april that they do not want members to be able to fudge the numbers to gain higher elite statuses and the new rules / restrictions illustrate that.

I also believe that Marriott and chase do not really "need" us right now...once the next recession pops up it will be interesting to see what the banks and hotels do. will elite nights for cc spending make an appearance again like they did last recession?

EDIT- one of the bloggers posted on their site that the business version of the card will no longer earn 1 elite night credit per $3k spend so if that is announced / communicated then the same would have been said about this card if it were true. maybe next year? we'll see.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by night718
I called Chase today to upgrade my card and they said the link is currently not working but it should be fixed around 7/9.
They were able to upgrade me over the phone and told me I would receive 10k points after 1 purchase, a 25k point anniversary free night certificate in September, and the new 35k point certificate next year.
Excellent. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And ... no reference to how the 1 night per 3k applies post August. That's the only reason anyone would keep this card.
Well, they have explicitly announced that the 1 night per $3k is going away on the business card, at the same as the business card is renamed to Business Premier Plus.

While the notice about the non-Plus personal Premier left it off. Which hopefully is a sign that it isn't being removed from any non-Plus cards.

They are able to change the business card from Premier to Premier Plus without asking you because the AF if not changing. They can't move you from the personal Premier to the personal Premier Plus without your permission because the AF is higher on the Premier Plus. (The business card AF was $99 to begin with, which is already $4 more than the AF on the personal Premier Plus.)
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:32 pm

I think the difference is that the personal card will continue to earn the elite night credit based on spend through January 2019 - when the announced 15 night limit from credit card kicks in - but the business card changes effective end of August due to conversion. Therefore, there is no need to immediately say the night per $3k spend is going away on personal card. I hope Im wrong but I see no wiggle room in the statement that the limit is 15 nights total starting in January 2019.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
those who the benefit is important to, they no doubt would not have upgraded at any point in the last few months, despite the marketing push by chase to do so. they surely have the data to see who is holding out on the old card because they value it and the numbers (and the number of nights Chase are purchasing each month to award) probably show that with those left, it isnt worth it to rock the boat with them.
Consider me a hold out. If they ditch this benefit, I have no reason to keep my Marriott spend on the Marriott card (I earn enough points with stays). I could simply switch my hotel spend to the CSR, earning 3 UR points per dollar spent (including tax!), valued at 1.5 per point, rather than MR 5-6 points per dollar spent (not including tax), valued at .8 per point. I wouldn't convert the UR points to MR, so this change would just loosen Marriott's grip on my wallet.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:48 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jjfab
I think the difference is that the personal card will continue to earn the elite night credit based on spend through January 2019 - when the announced 15 night limit from credit card kicks in - but the business card changes effective end of August due to conversion. Therefore, there is no need to immediately say the night per $3k spend is going away on personal card. I hope Im wrong but I see no wiggle room in the statement that the limit is 15 nights total starting in January 2019.
The note I received about the personal card(s) say "you will only receive a total of one 15 Elite Night Credits benefit per calendar year, which will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts. *2". It says nothing about the 1 night credit per $3000 spend going away. It is just talking about the 15 Elite Night Credit.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Jjfab
except in your last post you told us that 3k/1 night was for sure going away and you seem to be moving the goal posts. so which is it? the max of 15 elite nights is addressing and only addressing those who carry or will carry more than one credit card and expect to get multiple yearly bonuses. up until now this has been the case. carry more than one card and you will get 15 elite credits per card towards your account. it was clear as day in april when they said it just as it is now, you will only get 15 from this yearly benefit, no matter how many cards you have. you are looking to deep into this. when / if the benefit goes away they will send you a change of terms saying specifically so. just like they did with the business card. if they want to do the bare minimum, they wil give us 30 days. if they value the relationship, they will make it effective on the next yearly renewal period.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by lexdevil
Consider me a hold out
I am also a hold out as of now. if they really sweeten the pot for me to upgrade to the new card i may consider it.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:25 pm

Does anyone know if the new SPG/Marriott AMEX available in August will offer a sign up bonus? I like the 50K point night reward and Global entry with that card versus the new Marriott card’s 35K point night and no global entry. But, doesn’t the AMEX have to have some kind of signup bonus to be competitive at all?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I am also a hold out as of now. if they really sweeten the pot for me to upgrade to the new card i may consider it.
I'm holding off on upgrading my wife's card. We paid her annual fee a few months ago, so I see no risk to waiting.

A dilemma is that I upgraded my card to the new Premier Plus and we both have the Chase Marriott Business card and we've also got a bunch of AmEx SPG cards (2 business, 1 personal). If we keep everything, that's already a lot of 35K free night certificates and a lot of annual fees to pay. (That's 6 accounts, so nearly $600 in annual fees by my count - wow.) I don't mind the annual fees so much as long as I am able to make good use of the "free night." But the questions in my mind are:
1. Will we be able to use so many of these certificates?
2. How useful will the certificates be under the new hotel program, especially in 2019 when Marriott goes to their new standard versus peak pricing model? It won't do us any good if the hotel we want to redeem at goes from 35K points per night to 40K during the timeframe we want unless Marriott would allow us to kick in an additional 5000 points on top of the certificate (and I haven't seen any information to suggest that this will be possible. Has anyone seen that mentioned?)
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, they have explicitly announced that the 1 night per $3k is going away on the business card, at the same as the business card is renamed to Business Premier Plus.

While the notice about the non-Plus personal Premier left it off. Which hopefully is a sign that it isn't being removed from any non-Plus cards.

I hope you're right. However I have recently received 2 emails regarding my old non-Plus card: The first one announced new benefits beginning next year. When I went to the website page that lists the new benefits the one night per $3000 spend wasn't listed as one of them. Then I received an email for my card anniversary reminding me about the free night stay that would soon be added to my account. At the bottom of that email it lists the benefits associated with my card and again the one night per $3000 spend wasn't one of them.

I'm going forward under the assumption that I'll receive the one night per $3000 for the rest of this year but probably not next year. Hope I'm proved wrong so I can just logically keep the current card.

Although now that I think about it I'm currently overdue for a night to be added to my account for achieving the $3000 spend once again. I'll keep an eye on that
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:43 pm

Marriott Rewards Premier card

Hey All,

I recently obtained the Chase Marriott Reward premier card and noticed something odd. So, Im using it like crazy to hit the $5,000 spend and get my 100,000 bonus points but it worries me cause I login to the app and the website from my iPhone and laptop but it doesnt show that I have the card. What I mean is that I continue to see, even in the app when Im logged in, advertisements to sign up for the rewards premier card. Even after booking a Marriott hotel with the Marriott care and my rewards number I still was asked to sign up for the card.

Even more strange, I booked a hotel and they said use your Marriott premier card and get a $200 statement credit. I knew nothing about this so I called up Marriott and they didnt know anything either and said only chase can help me...

Has anyone else experienced this? My credit card does not show on the app or website and even the folks at Marriott dont know about the statement credit or why my card isnt showing on the app, even though I stored it as a payment method and use it to book Marriott hotels.

Woth delta its so easy, you sign up for the card and then immediately its reflected in the app and website that you have the delta card.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:24 am

Chase Visa not posting to Marriott Rewards

So my bill always closes on the 19th and Chase transmits on the 20th. MarriottRewards ALWAYS shows the points on the 21st or 22nd. This month, nothing! I call Chase, they said they sent them to Marriott. I call Marriott, they said they have not yet received and to wait up to 30 days. What? Anyone else experiencing the same with THIS MONTH'S posting from Chase Visa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.