Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:22 am
Original Poster

can anyone still generate referrals for this card? I'm trying to get it for the 15 night status this year.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm so confused about the upcoming changes in August.

My question is, if I get a Chase 1-5 certificate now (June), and do not use it, what (if anything) will happen in August and beyond? Will it turn into a different value certificate, or will it always be a 1-5? I've seen discussions about points levels, rather than category levels.

If it changes into a new points level (how many?) will I be able to use part of it (say, on what was a Cat 3) and have points left over for something else?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm so confused about the upcoming changes in August.

My question is, if I get a Chase 1-5 certificate now (June), and do not use it, what (if anything) will happen in August and beyond? Will it turn into a different value certificate, or will it always be a 1-5? I've seen discussions about points levels, rather than category levels.

If it changes into a new points level (how many?) will I be able to use part of it (say, on what was a Cat 3) and have points left over for something else?
Since the current value of cat 5 is 25000 points, in August it will turn into a certificate worth a maximum of 25000 points, whatever new Category number it happens to be (which could be different in "low season" vs "high season").

But unless they change the rules, no, you won't be able to get points back if you use it for less than the max points.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:15 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question Chase Marriott credit cards strategy to maximize free nights ?

Currently, I have both legacy Chase Marriott Premier credit cards (personal and business) which I opened last year (August 2017). I have an upgrade offer (Marriott Premier to Marriott Premier Plus) good for 10k Marriott points.

The main reason to have multiple cards (at least for me), is so that I can stack the free nights.

What is the best strategy in going about applying for/upgrading these cards?

1. Wait until September 2018 (any earlier and I probably wouldn't receive the free night benefit from my current personal Premier card), confirm the free night award is received, then upgrade the legacy personal Premier card to the Premier Plus card to receive the 10k Marriott points. The advantage of going this route is that I'll have 10k Marriott points. The disadvantage is that I'll only have 2 Marriott cards (I can't re-apply anew for the legacy personal Premier card as it is no longer available for new applications), and thus, only 2 free nights a year.

2. Instead of accepting the 10k Marriott points offer, I apply for the new Premier Plus card and get no signup bonus (since it hasn't even been a year since I opened up the legacy personal and business Premier cards). The advantage of going this route is that I'll have 3 cards, and thus 3 free nights a year. The disadvantage is that I'll be forgoing the 10k Marriott points.

3. Another option?

Which option would you take and why? Or is there a viable option #3 ? For #2 , will the legacy personal Premier card stick around indefinitely for those that already have it? Will there be a "forced" upgrade anytime soon or would that be years down the line? If the old card will go away very soon, then perhaps #1 is the way to go?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Currently, I have both legacy Chase Marriott Premier credit cards (personal and business) which I opened last year (August 2017). I have an upgrade offer (Marriott Premier to Marriott Premier Plus) good for 10k Marriott points.

The main reason to have multiple cards (at least for me), is so that I can stack the free nights.

What is the best strategy in going about applying for/upgrading these cards?

1. Wait until September 2018 (any earlier and I probably wouldn't receive the free night benefit from my current personal Premier card), confirm the free night award is received, then upgrade the legacy personal Premier card to the Premier Plus card to receive the 10k Marriott points. The advantage of going this route is that I'll have 10k Marriott points. The disadvantage is that I'll only have 2 Marriott cards (I can't re-apply anew for the legacy personal Premier card as it is no longer available for new applications), and thus, only 2 free nights a year.

2. Instead of accepting the 10k Marriott points offer, I apply for the new Premier Plus card and get no signup bonus (since it hasn't even been a year since I opened up the legacy personal and business Premier cards). The advantage of going this route is that I'll have 3 cards, and thus 3 free nights a year. The disadvantage is that I'll be forgoing the 10k Marriott points.

3. Another option?

Which option would you take and why? Or is there a viable option #3 ? For #2 , will the legacy personal Premier card stick around indefinitely for those that already have it? Will there be a "forced" upgrade anytime soon or would that be years down the line? If the old card will go away very soon, then perhaps #1 is the way to go?

Thanks!
Well, these certificates aren't useful to me as points, because the certificates are capped and the certificates expire, while points don't. So I wouldn't do any of this myself.

But you may have other options if you're willing to forego points: Some (nor sure if all) Amex so-called-for-now Starwood cards will also generate annual free night certificates. In particular, the high-end Starwood card will have an annual cert worth 50k points, whereas the non-high-end new cards will have annual certs worth only 35k points. I don't know whether the difference between 35k and 50k is important enough for you to spend $$$ for an expensive high-end card.

Yes, Amex is a different bank, but you look up the "new SPG cards" thread in the Amex forum, you'll there's a strong rumor there that no one who got a bonus on a Chase Marriott card in the past 2 years will be given a signup bonus on the new high-end Starwood card. So the fact that you applied for both of these Marriott cards in the past year (just as I did, btw) may rules out more bonuses than just on repeats of these specific cards.

Meanwhile, have you looked into the Rtiz card (which is the current high-end card)? You can qualify for that right now if you're under 5/24, and it gives some free nights right off the bat (its signup bonus is free nights, not points). But if so, get it soon, because public application for it may disappear at any time (since it's Amex, not Chase, that has the marketing right for a high-end card in the new program).
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:39 pm

I don't consider the Chase nights to be "free" - after all, you're paying an annual fee of $85 (or $95 with the new one) to get it...so I'm happy if I can use a 1-5 certificate with a value greater than that, so the AF becomes a wash, but they certainly aren't free.

I have 2 now, and I'm happy with that. For a measly 10,000 pts I'm not willing to skip a year on the certificate. Now, if I was going to be given 100,000 or even 50,000, that would more than cover one or two free nights, but for a measly 10,000 pts I can't be bothered.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:52 pm

Thanks guys.

Yes, I have both SPG cards as well. Not sure what I'll do on the Amex end (apply for the new card without a bonus or upgrade the existing personal).

Yes, I'm aware that these nights aren't "free". I would just make sure to redeem for a night that is worth more than the annual fee, and I come out on top.

Does anyone know if the Chase legacy Premier card will go away anytime soon for people who already have it or if there will be a forced automatic upgrade before the year is up? Or will it stay around for a few years until it's gradually phased out?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Does anyone know if the Chase legacy Premier card will go away anytime soon for people who already have it or if there will be a forced automatic upgrade before the year is up? Or will it stay around for a few years until it's gradually phased out?
No one knows at this point, assuming you're talking about the legacy personal Premier card.

There are hints that the legacy business Premier card may be forced to a Premier Plus business card within a month or two (as the only document that exists about late August benefits mentions a Premier Plus business card, which not only doesn't exist right now but has never been announced as of yet), but even that's unclear (just suggested as a possibility by one strangely-titled document).
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No one knows at this point, assuming you're talking about the legacy personal Premier card.

There are hints that the legacy business Premier card may be forced to a Premier Plus business card within a month or two (as the only document that exists about late August benefits mentions a Premier Plus business card, which not only doesn't exist right now but has never been announced as of yet), but even that's unclear (just suggested as a possibility by one strangely-titled document).
I didn't even know there was a Premier Plus business card (Chase's site currently shows only the new Premier Plus personal card and the old Premier business card), much less a possible forced upgrade a month or two from now. If this is true and a forced upgrade happens almost immediately after its debut, then there will likely be no incentive for Chase to offer any upgrade bonuses on the Premier business --> Premier Plus business upgrade (the annual fee would likely remain unchanged at $95).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:29 am

I wonder if a forced upgrade would mean you suddenly have to start paying a $95 annual fee, skip a year on a certificate, and get zero bonus points?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Your Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card benefits are changing.

I didn't upgrade to the new Marriott card. Today got an email from them with updated benefits:

-Beginning August 1, 2018, Free night award on account anniversary swapping from 1-5 cert to redemption level up to 25,000 points.
-Starting 2019, 15 Elite Night Credits per year (posted by March) instead of on account anniversary
-Starting January 1, 2019, only one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Loyalty Program account

Ending with a note "we hope you enjoy all the updated benefits of your Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card"

Still don't see any benefit to upgrading to the new cards even with these "enjoyable" updated benefits. Will probably also keep my business card even with the loss of 15 nights credit.

Please merge this if I missed a previous post.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
And ... no reference to how the 1 night per 3k applies post August. That's the only reason anyone would keep this card.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:51 pm

I think the last change addresses the elite night credits. It clearly says there is a limit to 15 nights elite credit per account. Any credit card provided that yearly so no additional credits are possible based on spend
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Jjfab
I think the last change addresses the elite night credits. It clearly says there is a limit to 15 nights elite credit per account. Any credit card provided that yearly so no additional credits are possible based on spend
I wondered if that is what it meant .... I love communication. It can't be that I'm a Plat Premier with over 2000 nights and having the card for several years. Oh wait, I am.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jjfab
I got the email as well.

In the body of the email, it says:
Also, beginning January 1, 2019, if you have more than one Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card, you will only receive a total of one 15 Elite Night Credits benefit per calendar year, which will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts.2"
Which does not seem to be referring to the 1 night credit per $3K in spend. But in the fine print, it says:
2Each calendar year a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts operated by Marriott International (i.e., Marriott Rewards®, Starwood Preferred Guest® or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®) (the "Marriott Loyalty Program") on or before March 1 in accordance with the Marriott Loyalty Program terms and conditions
Which could probably be interpreted as you say. Which would make me a little angry if so. Of course now it's saying I have no upgrade offer (but was only like 10K points before).

But the email also says, "Please visit chase.com/marriott for the updated terms and conditions." But those still include mention of the 1 night credit for each $3K in spend, and the page itself does not appear to be updated (for example, still references Category 1-5). And even in my Chase Online banking the "Card Benefits" link takes me to the new Premier Plus card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.