Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Premier Plus Card Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex

But I already have the other non-plus card. (This offer was sent to a different email address than Chase has on file)
Can I have both? Can I close that one, and get this one, and get the sign-up deal?
Wife and I both have the regular Marriott card, and have had them for a couple of years now.
Or do I have to settle for the upgrade bonus of 30k points offered on the Chase site?
Haven't had any new Chase cards for a while, except for my Fairmont changing to something I'm going to cancel soon.

Thank you

Oh, just saw this:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards® Premier or Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards® Premier or Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.

So, if I cancel it, can I get this Plus card and the bonus points?

Last edited by Ramonmv; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:37 am Reason: added info
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Ramonmv
But I already have the other non-plus card. (This offer was sent to a different email address than Chase has on file)
Can I have both? Can I close that one, and get this one, and get the sign-up deal?
Wife and I both have the regular Marriott card, and have had them for a couple of years now.
Or do I have to settle for the upgrade bonus of 30k points offered on the Chase site?
Haven't had any new Chase cards for a while, except for my Fairmont changing to something I'm going to cancel soon.

Thank you

Oh, just saw this:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards® Premier or Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards® Premier or Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.

So, if I cancel it, can I get this Plus card and the bonus points?
You can get the card, you won't get the bonus:

David
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Thanks. Guess I'll settle for the 30k they offer on Chase.com. Only an extra 10 bucks a year.

Last edited by Ramonmv; Jun 28, 2018 at 2:41 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:09 pm

Marriott Premier Plus upgrade - lack of transparency with annual fees

My wife, and I, and both my parents took the Marriott premier plus upgrade offer back in May. On Sept 1 all our cards' annual fees hit even though our original enrollment dates were all different throughout the calendar year. I guess I was expecting to see the annual free night coincide with the Sept 1st date, but after talking to chase CSR that is not the case. Dates of annual free night issuences don't change. Wouldn't it make since to have prorated annual fee refund on original card pre upgrade in this case? If I would have known that upgrading to new card for a measly 10,000 points would have caused a net $65 fee I would not have done it. Unfortunately the secured message I had with Chase indicated I could not reverse the upgrade anymore, give back the points and get refund. Now I'm at the point of deciding whether I should just cancel our cards to get refund. Would chase system black ball me thinking that I just cancelled a new (upgraded) card?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
My wife, and I, and both my parents took the Marriott premier plus upgrade offer back in May. On Sept 1 all our cards' annual fees hit even though our original enrollment dates were all different throughout the calendar year. I guess I was expecting to see the annual free night coincide with the Sept 1st date, but after talking to chase CSR that is not the case. Dates of annual free night issuences don't change. Wouldn't it make since to have prorated annual fee refund on original card pre upgrade in this case? If I would have known that upgrading to new card for a measly 10,000 points would have caused a net $65 fee I would not have done it. Unfortunately the secured message I had with Chase indicated I could not reverse the upgrade anymore, give back the points and get refund. Now I'm at the point of deciding whether I should just cancel our cards to get refund. Would chase system black ball me thinking that I just cancelled a new (upgraded) card?
I'm sorry to hear about that. I was in a similar situation. I upgraded to the Premier Plus for 10,000 points and was actually told the annual fee for the Premier Plus would be waived for the first year as well. It was and I was credited for the annual fee.

Then, as of September 1st, same day as you and your parents, I was charged another $95. I was surprised, but am not complaining because when I logged into my Marriott Rewards account, I saw that I was also issued a 35,000 free night certificate around September 6th with an expiration date of September, 6, 2019. Previously, I was told my free night certificate would not arrive until after I had my Premier Plus card for one year.

If you and your parents log into your Marriott accounts, were any of you issued certificates?

Regardless, I hope you can get some resolution from Chase and/or Marriott.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I'm sorry to hear about that. I was in a similar situation. I upgraded to the Premier Plus for 10,000 points and was actually told the annual fee for the Premier Plus would be waived for the first year as well. It was and I was credited for the annual fee.

Then, as of September 1st, same day as you and your parents, I was charged another $95. I was surprised, but am not complaining because when I logged into my Marriott Rewards account, I saw that I was also issued a 35,000 free night certificate around September 6th with an expiration date of September, 6, 2019. Previously, I was told my free night certificate would not arrive until after I had my Premier Plus card for one year.

If you and your parents log into your Marriott accounts, were any of you issued certificates?

Regardless, I hope you can get some resolution from Chase and/or Marriott.
Thanks for the reply. I just checked two of our four accounts and neither had the 35K certificates as far as I could tell (where exactly did you see yours?). Just curious, what month of the year had you previously been issued your Cat 1-5 certs? Or had your just signed up for the marriott card in the last year or so?

Annoying how it wasn't more clearly laid out during upgrade offer.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I agree.

Mine is September and I have not gotten certificate though have gotten hit wit AF. I didnt realize I'd lose 15 nights as well
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
I'm curious what would happen if I were to upgrade in Oct. Would I be fee free until Sept 2019? My annual fee for the older card was paid in May. Would I get a prorated fee credit from that?

I couldn't cancel and apply for a new one earlier because we were in the midst of buying a new house. My husband and I were advised NOT to do anything to affect our credit reports until after closing and to especially avoid changing anything with regards to credit cards. I definitely could have used the 100K bonus but I also didn't want to be without a card for a month because I was staying at Marriott hotels and wanted to bonus points from using the MR Credit card. However, I'm close enough to 2M now that if I can get all my missing points credited, I could just upgrade...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Thanks for the reply. I just checked two of our four accounts and neither had the 35K certificates as far as I could tell (where exactly did you see yours?). Just curious, what month of the year had you previously been issued your Cat 1-5 certs? Or had your just signed up for the marriott card in the last year or so?

Annoying how it wasn't more clearly laid out during upgrade offer.
My certificate shows up under ACCOUNT ACTIVITY under EARNED AWARDS.

On further review, it may just be a coincidence that both of us got hit with the annual fee on September 1st. I got the Marriott Rewards card with $85 fee around September of 2017. I upgraded to the Premier Plus in May 2017 and got the 10,000 upgrade bonus on May 23 2017. I upgraded over the phone and was also told that the Premier Plus Annual fee would be waived for the 1st year.

I subsequently saw a $95 credit post. I was also told that my free night anniversary would change to reflect May/2017, when I upgraded to the Premier Plus, so that I wouldn't get a free night certificate till May/2019. What I think happened is the anniversary date of my original Marriott credit card account was September 6, 2017. The $95 fee hitting September 1st was around the same time as my one year anniversary and my free night certificate was issued September 6, 2018.

The only reason I know my original account was established September 6, 2017 was because I wanted to product change to the Ritz Carlton card and knew most product changes require that an account be one year or older.
After I was successfully able to product change to the Ritz Carlton card on Monday, September 10, the $95 fee that I was charged September 1, 2018, was refunded in full and backdated with a transaction date of September 1, 2018.

In your situation, I would expect each of your family members to receive their free night certificate around the time of their original account anniversary, whenever they opened their original Marriott Rewards (not Premier Plus) card. However, that doesn't explain why Chase charged all of you the $95 fee on the same date.

I wish I could be more helpful.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Marriott Visa 100K point bonus

So, I went ahead and took advantage of an offer for 100K points for a $5K spend within the first three months. My question is, when will those post???
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
when will those post?
Probably within 30 days of the posting date for the statement where you meet the spending threshold.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:44 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Probably within 30 days of the posting date for the statement where you meet the spending threshold.
There have been reports of the bonus being delayed until the second statement after you meet the spend. I still haven't received mine yet and met spend in August.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
So, I went ahead and took advantage of an offer for 100K points for a $5K spend within the first three months. My question is, when will those post???
The "new normal". See Is your Chase minimum spending bonus delayed?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Aadvantage Platinum
Only 2x points at W

I've had few to no issues with the merger, but did just notice this - I recently (post 8/18) stayed at the new W in Brisbane. The stay and property were great, but I only received 2x points for that spending on my Premier Plus card when I had expected to receive 6x. Any insight into whether this a known issue, a new problem I need to work on or a T&C thing I wasn't aware of? Seems like a Chase thing more than a Marriott thing.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:56 pm

Marriott Premier to Plus card upgrade

Marriott / Chase says that if I accept their upgrade to the new card, my anniversary (for the free night) could change. Changing from May to October would mean five months or so without a certificate. They also say that the "odds are 90%" that my anniversary won't change. Does anyone know the definitive answer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.