Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 6:33 am

In my case it happened about a week after the statement closed where the spend requirement had been met...
Old May 31, 2019, 1:40 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I apologize if this has been discussed up thread or on other threads. Does the free night that comes with the CC count towards earning elite status like point redemption does? My guess is no since my recent free night didn't change the counter on my account. TIA.

LAX
Old May 31, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LAX
I apologize if this has been discussed up thread or on other threads. Does the free night that comes with the CC count towards earning elite status like point redemption does? My guess is no since my recent free night didn't change the counter on my account. TIA.

LAX
Free nights and reward nights do count towards elite status. You need to call CS to get the stay credit for your last free night.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:02 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
As a data point my Elite nights for May spending posted today on the 9th as they used to. Perhaps last month was just an anomaly.

Since I am Lifetime Titanium I only use these to help me reach Ambassador. I know there is a lot of speculation that they will take away this benefit. I hope it lasts as long as possible. I have only had the card for a year. I guess I got it just in time.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:14 pm

I got mine today too. It was interesting I actually got credit for 3 nights when I was expecting 2. Guess I crossed an extra 3K threshold I didnt realize. Another step closer to staying platinum
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by swstalker
I got mine today too. It was interesting I actually got credit for 3 nights when I was expecting 2. Guess I crossed an extra 3K threshold I didnt realize. Another step closer to staying platinum
I've noticed that ... it's a rolling threshold, so if I spent 2k last month, and 4 this month, I'll get 2 this month. And both showed up today.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We have been waiting and waiting for my husband to get an upgrade offer to the Boundless card. I got one ages ago, it garnered me 50,000 pts. He never got offered anything more than a $100 statement credit.

Today he gets an offer for not one but TWO 35,000 pt certificates with NO spend, just make any purchase by September. To me that is just fine, two 35k pt nights are really 70,000. And this is with NO spend (I know I had to make some spend, maybe a thousand or two, I can't remember. He will also get the 35k certificate every anniversary.

What took them so long???
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
I also finally got an upgrade offer for 1 free night certificate (35,000 pts) with any purchase by 9/30 if I upgrade. (Too bad I didn’t get the two night offer.). The fine print is very vague about what this will do to my anniversary date. Does anyone know if this will reset my account anniversary date or not? I ask because my anniversary is 9/1. If I upgrade now will I get a certificate for my purchase plus another certificate on 9/1? Or, am I better off to wait until after 9/1 to upgrade. Then I get the 25,000 pt certificate on 9/1 and then get the 35,000 certificate for my purchase after?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yes, I believe it does reset your anniversary date. My husband was far away from his next cert so it didn't matter to him. However, you have to make sure that the offer will still be available for you in September, I guess.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yes, I believe it does reset your anniversary date. My husband was far away from his next cert so it didn't matter to him. However, you have to make sure that the offer will still be available for you in September, I guess.
The offer was valid until the end of September, so I can wait.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
I received the two night (35,000 point capped) offer as well to upgrade. Will the 3K spend = 1 elite night credit follow me to the upgraded card? This is very important to me as I will be using the 15 card bonus nights plus spend bonus nights plus stays to get to 50 nights next year to make lifetime plat before I retire.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Will the 3K spend = 1 elite night credit follow me to the upgraded card? This is very important to me as I will be using the 15 card bonus nights plus spend bonus nights plus stays to get to 50 nights next year to make lifetime plat before I retire.
Do not upgrade as the version of the card you would be upgrading to doesn't provide for additional elite nights based on spend.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Do not upgrade as the version of the card you would be upgrading to doesn't provide for additional elite nights based on spend.
Thank you very much, exactly what I wanted to know.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:25 pm

Should I upgrade?

I have the old Classic Marriott VISA- $85 a year and a category 4 cert. Got an upgrade offer for the new card - with two category 5 certs for $85. Worth it?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by marion10
I have the old Classic Marriott VISA- $85 a year and a category 4 cert. Got an upgrade offer for the new card - with two category 5 certs for $85. Worth it?
Some similar questions and responses to those questions have been posted in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1933848-marriott-rewards-premier-visa-credit-card.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.