Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Elite nights posted.

Originally Posted by damon88
Is anyone else experiencing a delay on their elite nights from the 3K spend posting?

A while back I had issues with long delays but for months now my nights have posted soon after my statement closed.

This month however it’s delayed again.

Interested if others are having the same problem this month.
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Sorry I cannot confirm personally as I have not used mine since March.

Previously, the nights had posted about a week after my statement closed.
Originally Posted by DELee
Ditto for me - . . . .

Also agree with YoungBubbie , the 1 night per $3K spend would post with a few days of the points from my Visa bill posting to my Marriott​​​​​​ account.
Originally Posted by damon88
Yes. I thought they had solved whatever was causing the prior delays since it’s been great for the last few months.

But here we go again.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yes, after expedited posting of the Elite Nights over the past several months, I, too, am back to the old delay of (at least) two weeks after statement closure. Still waiting.
My monthly Elite Nights posted today, per the app, about two weeks later than normal.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I have read others were having same problem. Sorry I cannot confirm personally as I have not used mine since March.
Previously, the nights had posted about a week after my statement closed.
I ended up doing some spend this month and when added to previous must have totaled $3000 plus as I did receive an elite night credit a few days after statement closed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
I have not put spend on my Marriott Bonvoy Premier card in 4 years. I now need one more elite night credit and was wondering how close I was to the next $3k so I can earn another elite night, so I called the number on the back and they told me that I have a total lifetime spend of $7300 on the card, but my last charge was in 2016. Based on this info, it seems that I need another $1700 to earn an elite night, but the agent told me that the progress toward the next $3k resets every calendar year. This doesn't seem to be true based on what I've read here.

QUESTIONS:
1. Regarding earning an elite night, does the progress toward $3k reset every calendar year?
2. Given that I have $7300 lifetime spend with the last card usage in 2016, do I need to put $1700 or $3000 on my card to earn my next EQM?

Thanks in advance as your response will help me decide whether to put more spend on this card or do a mattress run.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by EricUSC
I have not put spend on my Marriott Bonvoy Premier card in 4 years. I now need one more elite night credit and was wondering how close I was to the next $3k so I can earn another elite night, so I called the number on the back and they told me that I have a total lifetime spend of $7300 on the card, but my last charge was in 2016. Based on this info, it seems that I need another $1700 to earn an elite night, but the agent told me that the progress toward the next $3k resets every calendar year. This doesn't seem to be true based on what I've read here.

QUESTIONS:
1. Regarding earning an elite night, does the progress toward $3k reset every calendar year?
2. Given that I have $7300 lifetime spend with the last card usage in 2016, do I need to put $1700 or $3000 on my card to earn my next EQM?

Thanks in advance as your response will help me decide whether to put more spend on this card or do a mattress run.
For one additional elite night, do the mattress run - plenty of cheap places in the Los Angeles basin. Cheaper and simpler. And, if you charge it to the card, you'll see if it has any material impact on those remaining $3K or $1.7K (which suspect is really $3K anyway).

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have had this card since 2012, and never stopped using it for a year at a time. I suspect most users don't know whether the $3,000 elite-night threshold resets every year. I used it as my primary card and never noticed that.

Maybe you can spend $1,700+ before your final statement date to find out for us? 🙂

To be safe, I would just stay the night. Perhaps redeem some points?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
DELee SPN Lifer Thank you for your responses. Looks like most users don't know and there isn't enough info on the internet on this legacy card. I'm sitting at 74 elite nights and it'll be silly to not get to 75 and earn those extra 5 SNAs. I was going to burn a Cat 5 cert and take a mini weekend vacation, but the recent COVID surge is getting me to reconsider unless COVID cases drop before 12/31. I might either burn a Cat 5 cert on a mattress run, pay for the cheapest hotel I can find close to where I live, or put some spend on this card. Unfortunately, putting $3k spend on this card has an opportunity cost attached to it that's more expensive than the cost of 1 night at a cheap hotel (1 Marriott pt/$ vs 2 AMEX pts/$ on general spend). Putting $1.7k is cheaper than spending $90 on a cheap hotel, but it isn't guaranteed, so it would be a gamble. I know I'm pinching pennies, but I enjoy optimizing credit card usage.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I still have this card. I remember I stayed with this because it has/had this benefit:

TRIP CANCELLATION/TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $5,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours and hotels

and the new $95/Category 5 Certificate card does not have it.

Are the benefits still different?

With the new variable pricing and the top-off feature, I am looking at basically $85 buys me 25,000 points and $95 buys me 35,000 points. Or, I can switch to the $0 card and still get a lot of the travel benefits. I don't really care much about earning more Marriott points or elite benefits (LT Titanium). I usually use the Costco Citi Visa but that one only has Car Rental and Accident Insurance when it comes to travel.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by username
So, I still have this card. I remember I stayed with this because it has/had this benefit:

TRIP CANCELLATION/TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $5,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours and hotels

and the new $95/Category 5 Certificate card does not have it.

Are the benefits still different?

With the new variable pricing and the top-off feature, I am looking at basically $85 buys me 25,000 points and $95 buys me 35,000 points. Or, I can switch to the $0 card and still get a lot of the travel benefits. I don't really care much about earning more Marriott points or elite benefits (LT Titanium). I usually use the Costco Citi Visa but that one only has Car Rental and Accident Insurance when it comes to travel.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Main benefit for me is the 1 elite night/$3000 which you do not need.
Otherwise I put spend on my Marriott Amex where I get 6x instead of 5x on Marriott spend and 2x on all other spends.
username and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Details on Elite Night Credit per $3,000 in spend

I just wanted to be sure I understand the details. Essentially, there's a counter that increments for all purchases; every time the counter hits $3,000 an elite night is credited and the counter is reduced by $3,000. The counter doesn't reset at the end of a year (or month).

As an example, if the counter has $100 on it and I buy something for $3,400 (or pay $3,400 in taxes with the card), I'll get an elite night credit and the counter has the $500 residual.

I ask because I've had other offers on some credit cards where the amount of each purchase that exceeds the threshold is "lost"; with those offers, in the above example, I'd get the benefit of hitting the $3,000, but the counter would reset to zero rather than $500.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I responded to your earlier post in the other thread.

Elite night/3k spend on OLD Marriott VISA card
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Earnings at Autograph (and Design)?

Hi. I had a recent reward stay at an Autograph hotel (Ivens, Lisbon); paid some incidentals using my Visa Premier card. I was surprised that I didn't get any bonus for that spending; it was just credited 1 point per dollar.

Is there something about Autograph hotels that they don't offer the usual 5X or 6X (I forget) points? I tried looking up online on both Marriott and Chase but was in an endless loop of noninformative pages, probably since they don't offer it any more. All I can find is "hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy program," which this hotel and others certainly do. If these hotels don't offer the multiple, does anyone have a list of the other chains that do or don't?

The amount of points hfor this stay was pretty small but I have a future stay at another "new" brand that is more loosely tied to Bonvoy, a "Design Hotel," where I'll have a lot more spending and so now I am wondering about them too. Any insights are much appreciated.

FTF
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:36 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Earnings at Autograph (and Design)?

Hi. I had a recent reward stay at an Autograph hotel (Ivens, Lisbon); paid some incidentals using my Visa Premier card. I was surprised that I didn't get any bonus for that spending; it was just credited 1 point per dollar.

Is there something about Autograph hotels that they don't offer the usual 5X or 6X (I forget) points? I tried looking up online on both Marriott and Chase but was in an endless loop of noninformative pages, probably since they don't offer it any more. All I can find is "hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy program," which this hotel and others certainly do. If these hotels don't offer the multiple, does anyone have a list of the other chains that do or don't?

The amount of points hfor this stay was pretty small but I have a future stay at another "new" brand that is more loosely tied to Bonvoy, a "Design Hotel," where I'll have a lot more spending and so now I am wondering about them too. Any insights are much appreciated.

FTF
What were your incidentals?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:46 pm

Some sort of room tax (just 5 euros/night) and a food/beverage bill.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Made a payment at the Sheraton Full Moon Resort & Spa, Maldives for my room charges earlier this month using my Chase Bonvoy Visa. My statement closed earlier this week & the points for spends posted today. However, the posting shows in the general spend category & not the Marriott category so I didn't get any bonus points.

Has anyone else here used a Marriott branded card at this property & not received the bonus points?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:56 am

I don't think it's property based; I think it's a problem with the card. I've recently noticed it doesn't seem to be recognizing former Starwood and some of the newer brands as purchases that should receive the Marriott bonus. I've had this happen at an Autograph in Europe and Westin/Sheraton properties in plain ol' New Jersey. I've put off going to fight with them about it because I don't know how long it's been happening and so I have to go back and check for some time to see how many times I've got ripped off. But that's what I'm seeing, FWIW.

FTF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.