Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, Marriott Lifetime Ti
Marriott Bonvoy Chase Visa Fee

I just received my statement with the $95 annual fee. Given that I am not able to travel I thought perhaps they might waive the annual fee. I called into Chase and they said no to any membership waiver - so I cancelled the card. This seems quite short sighted on their part, but maybe there is so much card churning that they won't waive the membership.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Canceling your card is the strongest message you can send to them.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by marcusf
I just received my statement with the $95 annual fee. Given that I am not able to travel I thought perhaps they might waive the annual fee. I called into Chase and they said no to any membership waiver - so I cancelled the card. This seems quite short sighted on their part, but maybe there is so much card churning that they won't waive the membership.
How long did you have the card?

David
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Did you tell them you wouldn't be needing your free night certificate?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by marcusf
You shut down the "old style" card that gave elite night credits for spend? Wow. Can't get that card benefit back.
SPN Lifer and kar120c like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone check their Marriott account after their Premier Visa card statement closed? I'm now getting the following:

Are "Marriott Bonvoy Chase Points" now the same as what was "Premier Visa - Marriott Spend"?

David
Old May 6, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
for a lifetime plat (don't need elite credits) is there any reason to keep the card at this point?
Old May 6, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karenkay
for a lifetime plat (don't need elite credits) is there any reason to keep the card at this point?
For Chase: annual fee + their 1.51% + $0.10 per transaction

For Marriott: Chase buys points so they get cash

For You - LTP: points and, every 3,000 points, night credits

So if you don't need to earn points within this credit card's use framework in order to redeem room nights with Marriott, then probably not.

Personally, I've liked earning the points as well as night credits and only those folks who already have the card have the card.

David
karenkay likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by karenkay
Only if you need $3000 / 1 night to help hit 75 nights to make titanium.
SPN Lifer and karenkay like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Anyone check their Marriott account after their Premier Visa card statement closed? I'm now getting the following:

Are "Marriott Bonvoy Chase Points" now the same as what was "Premier Visa - Marriott Spend"?

David
Following up after having a few minutes to investigate and document.

Short answer: these are the 6x grocery points

Longer answer:

Marriott account:

Visa Statement:

David
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:14 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Is anyone else experiencing a delay on their elite nights from the 3K spend posting?

A while back I had issues with long delays but for months now my nights have posted soon after my statement closed.

This month however it’s delayed again.

Not sure why the Chase Legacy Marriott card has these issues when Elite nights from the Chase World
of Hyatt card post like clockwork typically within 24 hours of statement closing.

Makes me wonder if it’s a Marriott issue and not a Chase one.

Interested if others are having the same problem this month.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
Is anyone else experiencing a delay on their elite nights from the 3K spend posting?

A while back I had issues with long delays but for months now my nights have posted soon after my statement closed.

This month however it’s delayed again.

Not sure why the Chase Legacy Marriott card has these issues when Elite nights from the Chase World
of Hyatt card post like clockwork typically within 24 hours of statement closing.

Makes me wonder if it’s a Marriott issue and not a Chase one.

Interested if others are having the same problem this month.
I have read others were having same problem. Sorry I cannot confirm personally as I have not used mine since March.
Previously, the nights had posted about a week after my statement closed.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I have read others were having same problem. Sorry I cannot confirm personally as I have not used mine since March.
Previously, the nights had posted about a week after my statement closed.
Ditto for me - in case anyone from Marriott and/or Chase is reading: all of my family's spend has shifted: New HH Amex benefits for a period of time. Probably until at leas the end of the year unless Marriott and/or Chase come up with some reason of value to spend on this credit card again.

Also agree with YoungBubbie , the 1 night per $3K spend would post with a few days of the points from my Visa bill posting to my Marriott account.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
Ditto for me - in case anyone from Marriott and/or Chase is reading: all of my family's spend has shifted: New HH Amex benefits for a period of time. Probably until at leas the end of the year unless Marriott and/or Chase come up with some reason of value to spend on this credit card again.

Also agree with YoungBubbie , the 1 night per $3K spend would post with a few days of the points from my Visa bill posting to my Marriott account.

David
Yes. I thought they had solved whatever was causing the prior delays since it’s been great for the last few months.

But here we go again

Sigh

I don’t even know if I will be able to use SNAs but figured I might as well hit 75 nights since I am so close.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes, after expedited posting of the Elite Nights over the past several months, I, too, am back to the old delay of (at least) two weeks after statement closure. Still waiting.

Fortunately, the points always post promptly.

It would be worse if it were the other way around. (!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.