FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/528273-bonus-bucks-questions-issues-merged-threads.html)

VA1379 Feb 13, 2008 11:41 pm

Maybe you live in a different world than me, but I am more concerned about mail theft. This is not some theoretical event. It is why mail theft is listed as a felony, and why all federal mailings have a warning as such.

People have had their social security checks, tax refunds, health insurance bills, and other documents stolen in the mail. It is why my health insurance company does not use Social Security numbers as policy IDs anymore since people have had their identity taken.

This is also one of the reasons why the federal government encourages people to have direct deposit for social security checks and tax refunds (with cost savings for the government being another).

You call me an idea killer, but you are the one without an open mind. You should have looked at your mail instead of instinctively throwing it away because it looks like junk mail. Or was the extra 10 seconds of effort too much for you to spare?

rmagritte Feb 14, 2008 5:10 am

I received my second order of coupons two days ago, only about a week after I ordered them, so things seem to be speeding up. However, I ordered 2 certificates and I was charged for two certificates, but there was only one in the envelope. I called, and they said they would look into it, but I haven't heard back in their promised two days. I guess I'll call again today...

2bagator Feb 14, 2008 6:09 am

Do you need to have the Bonus Bucks in hand while making a reservation? I am not sure if there are any codes on the Bonus Bucks that customer service would need to make the reservation. Thanks

fredlisancnc Feb 14, 2008 6:22 am

Originally Posted by VA1379 (Post 9248838)
Maybe you live in a different world than me, but I am more concerned about mail theft. This is not some theoretical event. It is why mail theft is listed as a felony, and why all federal mailings have a warning as such.

People have had their social security checks, tax refunds, health insurance bills, and other documents stolen in the mail. It is why my health insurance company does not use Social Security numbers as policy IDs anymore since people have had their identity taken.

This is also one of the reasons why the federal government encourages people to have direct deposit for social security checks and tax refunds (with cost savings for the government being another).

You call me an idea killer, but you are the one without an open mind. You should have looked at your mail instead of instinctively throwing it away because it looks like junk mail. Or was the extra 10 seconds of effort too much for you to spare?

you're right! ...the world is looking for your bonus bucks!

MsEverywhere Feb 14, 2008 6:29 am

Originally Posted by 2bagator (Post 9249781)
Do you need to have the Bonus Bucks in hand while making a reservation? I am not sure if there are any codes on the Bonus Bucks that customer service would need to make the reservation. Thanks

No, you don't need the certificate when you make the res. In fact, I don't usually say anything about them when making the res. I usually just show up and present them at checkin, or some time before checkout.

sophiegirl Feb 14, 2008 6:38 am

:pNOW - fredlisancnc and VA1379 - don't make me stop this car! And set a better example for your younger siblings!

C'mon, the great thing about opinions is everyone has one and we are all entitled to our own.........

(and I will go put my soapbox away now and change my name to Pollyanna):D

gomike Feb 14, 2008 9:56 am

Use Bonus Bucks @ MVCI

I know most BB say NOT valid at MVCI, has anyone ever had one they were able to use at one while on a timeshare stay exchanged with II? If so where did you get the BB certificate from?

Michigan Czar Feb 14, 2008 11:51 am

A long time ago BB were eligible to be used at MVCI during a paid stay. Not during a II getaway or exchange. I have not seen any BB available to be used at MVCI for a couple years.

rmagritte Feb 18, 2008 6:09 am

An update to my purchased-two-but-only-got-one issue: After 3 days without hearing back, I called again, and explained (w/o any anger or complaining) that I hadn't been contacted. They put me on hold, tracked down the status of my original complaint, and said that they would ship the second certificate out the same day, so I should have it in a day or two.

Obviously, getting the order right the first time would be great, but all-in-all, for the money this promotion has already saved me, I don't mind an occasional glitch.

...and with a bunch of two-day stays between now and mid-May, not only am I going to save over 500 dollars on my rooms, but I'm also going to get a nice chunk of points w/ the MegaBonus promotion. A wonderful confluence of events.

flyerwife Feb 18, 2008 7:53 am

Originally Posted by rmagritte (Post 9269625)
They put me on hold, tracked down the status of my original complaint, and said that they would ship the second certificate out the same day, so I should have it in a day or two.

If you don't mind, please post here and tell us when your replacement certificate arrives.

I've been waiting on a replacement (from their error) since January 30th and it still has not arrived (I'm about 40 miles east of where their office is; I am assuming the pigeon got lost....again)

:mad:

rmagritte Feb 18, 2008 10:34 am

Originally Posted by flyerwife (Post 9269979)
If you don't mind, please post here and tell us when your replacement certificate arrives.

Gladly. They said it was going out on Friday (the day I called), so it should be here by mid-week.

This was my second order of certificates, and unlike the first one (in the middle of the first wave of activity), this one was less than a week between order and arrival. Theoretically then, the replacement shouldn't take more than week either.

rylan Feb 18, 2008 2:08 pm

bonus bucks usable with ebrakes?

Yup... just what the title says.
I have a $50 bonus bucks certificate. Anyone know if its usable on an MEB ebrakes code? I don't see anything on the cert mentioning that it isn't.

rmagritte Feb 18, 2008 3:18 pm

I've not tried it, but I believe the consensus around here is that since you have to be a member of an e-mail list to get the eBreaks messages, they are not considered a "publicly available" rate (even though anyone could sign up for the e-mail messages), and therefore Marriott could deny your use of the certificate.

That said, it also seems like some properties are more lax about the restrictions on the certificates than others, so it might be worth trying to use the coupon, but they are within their rights to say it is not valid for the stay.

rmagritte Feb 18, 2008 3:30 pm

Sorry, I should have gone looking before posting. Here's a link to a current BB thread. On this page Jonathansullivan reports never having success applying BBs to a eBreak rate and Username reports success. Seems like the right idea is to only book the room if you're happy with the rate sans coupon, and then try to use the coupon and see what happens.

saschaa Feb 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rmagritte (Post 9272349)
I've not tried it, but I believe the consensus around here is that since you have to be a member of an e-mail list to get the eBreaks messages, they are not considered a "publicly available" rate (even though anyone could sign up for the e-mail messages), and therefore Marriott could deny your use of the certificate.

That said, it also seems like some properties are more lax about the restrictions on the certificates than others, so it might be worth trying to use the coupon, but they are within their rights to say it is not valid for the stay.

but everyone could reserve a room using the MEB Code, so I guess it's publicly available.