FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/528273-bonus-bucks-questions-issues-merged-threads.html)

WBrookSoxfan Jan 27, 2008 2:25 pm

Just ordered one of these..

Seems like a good deal. I figured it's like $40 off each night for the 2 night stay ($100 off - $20 for the coupon = $80 / 2 nights = $40). I'm sure I could get a better deal using hotwire or priceline, especially if you figure out how to guarantee your preferred Marriott hotel by using biddingfortravel.com/betterbidding.com.
Still a very good deal though!

Can I use my MR points along with this $100 Mariott BB?
Thanks in advance!

sophiegirl Jan 27, 2008 5:16 pm

[QUOTE=WBrookSoxfan;9144298]Just ordered one of these..
Can I use my MR points along with this $100 Mariott BB?
QUOTE]

If you mean can you use points and then use the BB to cover incidentals, the answer is no. You must have a 2 night paid stay on a rate that is 100% available to the public. (ie - no AAA, no Marriott Reward rates, no corporate rates). You can however, book X nights on points, and then 2 nights with a BB on a public rate. We do this quite often - especially in hotels that are pricey during the week (we use points) then have a leisure rate on the weekend (we use a BB).

If you mean do you GET MR points when you use a BB, the answer is yes. Just remember that using the BB is like paying cash - so your points total should be inclusive of your entire stay, not your stay minus the BB. Some hotels do not register this correctly, so the points you receive is reduced.

We get a lot of use out of these - we always keep both denominations on hand - the $50's are good at ANY Marriott property (SHS, CY, RI, FI, as well as FS & Ren) while the $100 are only good at FS and Ren.

And perhaps we have just been lucky - but properly planned, these have always pretty much beat any of the .com rates - and I am sure of where I am staying!:D

SkiAdcock Jan 28, 2008 9:27 am

I like the little Geico guy with his Brit accent! Thanks for the heads up on buying the BB on Geico site.

Cheers.

wolfreiser Jan 28, 2008 1:32 pm

Mine finally came.

bobbysfca Jan 28, 2008 6:53 pm

London East End, I'd say. Fairly Cockney, it is...

Originally Posted by bassmanben (Post 9141908)
doesn't the little gecko already have a british accent?.....

The Weekly Flyer Jan 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Marriott Bonus Bucks

How does one earn Marriott Bonus Bucks Certificates?

travelismylife Jan 28, 2008 8:19 pm

Mine came

Mine 2 BB just came today. Exp. date is Sep. 23rd.

sophiegirl Jan 28, 2008 8:29 pm

there are 5 ways that I know of -

1) There is a rate at Marriott that includes receving a Bonus Buck. Primarily run in summer and fall - but some hotels have it more often. They come in both $50 and $100 denominations.

2) Stay at a Marriott when VISA is running their Bonus Buck promotion - pay with VISA, get a BB.

3) Go to Geico.com; log onto Geico Privileges and buy one. (legal)

4) Go to ebay and buy one. (illegal, but people certainly do it evey day)

5) Trade or receive one as a gift on FT CC.

gomike Jan 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by sophiegirl (Post 9151663)
1)
4) Go to ebay and buy one. (illegal, but people certainly do it evey day)

maybe against Marriott terms but not illegal

holtju2 Jan 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 9132245)
Quick question, I need to validate a stay with a specific Marriott and they asked me where I got my PP voucher.

Don't they normally come from Hawaii? :D

sophiegirl Jan 29, 2008 12:07 am

Originally Posted by gomike (Post 9151724)
maybe against Marriott terms but not illegal

Illegal as in carted off to jail - no.

But -

It has always appeared to me that FT expected posters (and posts) to remain within the parameters of the program under discussion. IE - we would not post/use discount codes that were private or to which we were not entitled, etc.

#8 on the BB clearly states - "this coupon is void and will not be honored if sold for cash or other consideration or auctioned on the internet.'

In another thread (under Marriott) a poster was asked where he got his BB/PP.

If Flyfarfar does not know how to get a BB they certainly are not going to be aware of the policies behind them. If they were asked - and replied that it was bought on ebay - then the Marriott in question would have every right to decline the usage.

IMO, Marriott terms are the ones that count in this instance.

wharvey Jan 29, 2008 5:23 am

Moving to Marriott forum where the experts can - and have - answered this question many times.

rahmanbar Jan 29, 2008 6:05 am

Originally Posted by sophiegirl (Post 9151663)
1) There is a rate at Marriott that includes receving a Bonus Buck. Primarily run in summer and fall - but some hotels have it more often. They come in both $50 and $100 denominations.

2) Stay at a Marriott when VISA is running their Bonus Buck promotion - pay with VISA, get a BB.

There was one like that last fall.

If memory serves me, the dates were (approximately) Day after Labor Day through 12/30/07.

Trouble was that the BBs that were being distributed all had an expiration date of 12/.30 (which was not disclosed in the T's and C's that accompanied the announcement).

So, if your stay ended, (let's say 9/29) you'd get a BB with a 12/30 expiration date.

And if your stay ended on 12/29 you'd get a BB with a 12/30 expiration date.

I discovered that last November when I had a stay on a rate that provided a BB ($50. or $100. as applicable) that was not tied into Visa. The T's and C's indicated that the BB's would have expiration dates 8 months from the date of issue.

Naturally, the property I was staying at mixed up the two promotions, gave me a Visa-branded BB with an expiration date 3 weeks later. And, since it was a weekend stay I could get nowhere when I pointed out the above to the obviously very junior FD associate. (The Mgr. on 'Duty was not on site for some reason.)

Even "Customer Care" stonewalled on the subject and it didn't get resolved (in my favor) until I provided them with a link to the offer I was both alluding to which established, beyond all doubt, that my stay was consistent with each and every one of its T's and C's.)

You know, these continuing promotions combined with what seems the inevitable unfamiliarity of public contact associates' with all their T's and C's and nuances makes me wonder.

Are the ongoing issues as to promotions (that are discussed here so often), reflective that the quality level, completeness, timeliness of the instructions and procedures attendant to them that are distributed to hotels? (Which they are expected to follow.)

I'm not an "insider" so I don't pretend to know the reasons why something's amiss to the extent that so much discussion is generated on FT/MR during and after a promotion is being conducted.

Only that something is amiss.

GlennTheBaker Jan 29, 2008 8:42 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 9152288)
Don't they normally come from Hawaii? :D

Mine certainly do :cool:

Triple7 Jan 29, 2008 4:03 pm

I just called Geico and they said they have gotten a "flood" of orders. A bunch of BBs came in and were shipped out on Friday, 1/25. So if you're missing one and ordered in January they're hopefully on their way.