Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The formula is pretty simple: Total Nights - Rollover Nights - Status Nights = Next Year's Rollover nights. Seems to work every time.

Add the fact that rollover nights count twice towards lifetime status, it's a nice perk.
The calculation is pretty simple but I think as evident on these boards many people including myself don't quite get it. I know I've heard roll over nights don't roll over but until an hour ago it didn't occur to me that I would have to actually stay more than 75 nights this year (60 technically with the CC nights) for me to receive rollover nights for 2013.

And yes I agree that rollover nights count twice is a nice perk.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by lexdevil
...in exactly the opposite direction. I ended 2011 with 216 nights, 66 of which were rollover nights. As a PP I expected to start this year with 75 rollover nights. Instead, my account now shows 150 nights, all listed as rollover nights! Yes, 150 nights were also added to my lifetime total.

We're all so quick to complain when Marriott makes an error that harms us. Now I need to decide if I should notify them when they make an error in my favor. Of course this could be the ultimate Platinum benefit: roll over all nights beyond 0 ;-) I think I'll wait a few days to see if they fix this on their own.
Same thing happened to me. 150 rollovers. Hooray! Then it was back to reality.....

Had about a little over 200 nights in 2011 (~60 of which were rollover from 2010) Only when I logged in the next day, all those were gone....now I'm down to 75 rollover nights carried over from 2011. Not that I'm complaining. Marriott's been very, very good to me over the years. Guess I'll have to wait another year or so to have a shot at Lifetime Plat.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
The formula is pretty simple: Total Nights - Rollover Nights - Status Nights = Next Year's Rollover nights. Seems to work every time.

Add the fact that rollover nights count twice towards lifetime status, it's a nice perk.
Originally Posted by nova08
The calculation is pretty simple but I think as evident on these boards many people including myself don't quite get it. I know I've heard roll over nights don't roll over but until an hour ago it didn't occur to me that I would have to actually stay more than 75 nights this year (60 technically with the CC nights) for me to receive rollover nights for 2013.

And yes I agree that rollover nights count twice is a nice perk.
It is the "FIFO" vs "LIFO" determination of what constitutes a rollover night "rolling over twice" that causes confusion. (There was a huge thread on this last year). Do you get to use your rollover nights to achieve status first? Or do you have to use your "real" elite nights to achieve status first?

Marriott has chosen the more restrictive path here (you have to use your real nights first before determining what's left to roll over), and I think it really hurts the program. I haven't done a scientific poll or anything, but I would have to believe that more people would prefer the program the other way around, even if it meant that you didn't get the lifetime nights twice. It would provide the sort of benefit you would think rollover is set up to provide in the first place (smoothing elite nights over periods of up and down travel, such that the person who averages 75 nights a year over many years keeps plat the whole time), but the way it is set up now, those smoothing periods are restricted to being 2 years long (ie, someone staying 150, 0, 150, 0 over 4 years gets the full benefit of rollover, but someone staying 100, 70, 60, 70 does not, despite staying the same number of nights over those 4 years).
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Basically rollover nights only roll over and are counted if you do not make the tier. However if you make the tier roll over nights don't count whatsoever.

Which is why it doesn't make sense.

So for example.

If one has 65 days earned and 10 rollover and one has 75 days earned and 10 rollover in 2011.

65 days + 10 days = 75 - Platinum = 0 nights rollover for 2012
75 days + 10 days = 75 - Platinum = 0 nights rollover for 2012

Basically if you don't stand a chance to make (for platinum) 75 nights + rollover from previous year it might make better sense for someone to just start earning with another chain after days + rollover = 75.

So in my case I have 28 days. There is probably no way I'll make 75 total nights next year with travel cuts announced (cost reduction). So anything between 47 nights and 75 nights stay I will get 0 rollover for 2013. With 15 days out there for CC and 4 nights already posted I only need 28 nights. Anything past that will not get me any benefit unless I get over 103 nights.

Pretty sad.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by msuroo
I haven't done a scientific poll or anything, but I would have to believe that more people would prefer the program the other way around, even if it meant that you didn't get the lifetime nights twice.
Also, I wanted to clarify that I don't necessarily think that this will be the popular opinion here, as a lot of the FT audience stays more than 75 nights every year, and thus the double lifetime night benefit is the only benefit of the program, no matter how they calculate it.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The primary benefit for me from rollover nights is the double counting of lifetime nights. I have 1,000 lifetime nights, and about 100 of these are from the rollover nights.

Another benefit is that rollover makes it easier for people to keep platinum for several years in a row, which makes them eligible for a grace extension of platinum status. Marriott will manually look at each platinum account that has been platinum for 3+ years to decide whether to extend platinum status even if the person does not have the necessary nights.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Remember the days we didn't have rollover? There are hundreds of ways MR could have augmented the program and what they did is a lot better than nothing. Unfortunately, they are not committed to this plan by having to renew it's implementation each year instead of making it a permanent addition.

It is a loyalty program so they want to encourage you to continue using their product. For those that don't make top tier each year, now has a means to reach it by combining two years to gain status. Those that do make top tier has a means to accelerate their lifetime status with the rollover nights counting double for that goal. I think they found a good mix to accomplish what they want.

Of course I would love to maximize my status with minimal stays, but they didn't ask me how I would build the program.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:59 am

Remember the days we didn't have rollover? There are hundreds of ways MR could have augmented the program and what they did is a lot better than nothing. Unfortunately, they are not committed to this plan by having to renew it's implementation each year instead of making it a permanent addition.

It is a loyalty program so they want to encourage you to continue using their product. For those that don't make top tier each year, now has a means to reach it by combining two years to gain status. Those that do make top tier has a means to accelerate their lifetime status with the rollover nights counting double for that goal. I think they found a good mix to accomplish what they want.

Of course I would love to maximize my status with minimal stays, but they didn't ask me how I would build the program.
Ah yes, the "deal with it or GTFO" response. Look, I get it. It is Marriott's program - they can do what they want, and it is up to us to decide whether or not it is the right program for us. The current rollover setup is certainly better than none at all. It doesn't really affect me either way (I'm keeping plat status regardless, and I still need 8 or so more years in the program to be eligible for lifetime status, by which point my night total will be well past 1000), but I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out some of the inequities in how it is set up (iztok's example was a good one too).
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Here's an example of the benefits of the Rollover program for me (actual numbers):

2010: Total nights stayed 151 (including credit card bonus nights).
Rollover nights into 2011: 76
2011: Total nights stayed 75 (including cc bonus)
Rollover nights into 2012: 151-(76+75) = 0

So with this program I got the same status in 2012 and the same number of rollover nights carrying into this year as if I had stayed zero nights at Marriott properties in 2011. Woohoo!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:11 pm

So basically as long as you meet your status with actual nights you don't have benefit of rollover nights.

I would understand that rollover nights would count once but in my case they counted zero times.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by illinidad
Same thing happened to me. 150 rollovers. Hooray! Then it was back to reality.....
I too was back to 75 rollover nights today. My lifetime nights were also corrected. Guess I'm Plat for 2013. Nice to receive the extra 75 nights toward lifetime status. I think I've got a year to go for lifetime Plat; the extra nights pretty much guarantee that I'll have the nights then too.

I have no complaints about the rollover program.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
my initial guess is a big fat NO you can not assume that

I just checked mine, I didn't even requalify for Gold (although I'm lifetime gold so that solves that problem) but my account shows two nights for Plat for 2012. Those were MR Visa CC spend nights too. I'm glad my Xmas shopping hit this year

the site still shows me as Plat but no way I'm plat this year
I agree. I'm currently Plat until end Feb 2012 but only did 25 nights last year so didn't even make Gold. I'm hoping for a soft landing and Gold to Feb 2013
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
Rollover and Question re: Rewards Credit Card Bonus Night

In 2010, I ended the year with 109 nights and 34 rolled over for 2011 (109-75=34).

In 2011, I ended the year with 113 nights and 4 rolled over for 2012(113-34-75=4).

I'm deducing from the discusssion on this thread that this is the proper number of rollover nights carrying forward into 2012, correct?

So far this year, I've stayed 1 night. But, but my Total Nights Stayed This Year is 6 because I was credited for 1 Rewards Credit Card Bonus Night. Can anyone explain how these bonus nights are accrued?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:20 pm

Another calculation:

Person A:

2010 80 night stay = 5 roll over
2011 75 night stay + 5 (2010) roll over = 0 roll over

Total 155 nights stayed

Person B:

2010 80 night stay = 5 roll over
2011 70 night stay + 5 (2010) roll over = 0 roll over

Total 150 night stayed

Both have made platinum, both have 0 roll over for 2012.

It is even more interesting with:

Person C

2010 150 nights = 75 nights roll over
2011 0 nights + 75 roll over = 0 roll over (stayed 150 nights in other chains reaching top tier in them)

Total nights stayed 150 at MR and 150 stayed at other property.

Person D:

2010 150 nights = 75 nights roll over
2011 75 night stayed + 75 roll over = 0 roll over

Total nights stayed 225.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by rcarovano
In 2010, I ended the year with 109 nights and 34 rolled over for 2011 (109-75=34).

In 2011, I ended the year with 113 nights and 4 rolled over for 2012(113-34-75=4).

I'm deducing from the discusssion on this thread that this is the proper number of rollover nights carrying forward into 2012, correct?

So far this year, I've stayed 1 night. But, but my Total Nights Stayed This Year is 6 because I was credited for 1 Rewards Credit Card Bonus Night. Can anyone explain how these bonus nights are accrued?
Yes, your nights calculated correctly. Bonus elite nights from the credit card occur on your anniversary date (10 or 15, depending on which card you have), and then an additional 1 for every 3k in spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.