Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Why wouldn't the 15 credit card nights post on January 1? I thought that since part of the credit card program was that you get Silver Elite status, the 15 nights would have to post on January 1 so that you always have Silver status?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
my understanding is that the 15 nights will post after your anniversary date and you will get silver status by just having the credit card
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 15 nights post on your anniversary date and since sstatus extends thru the next year after you qualify you always have silver status if you have the card.

For example a member with no nights gets the card on April 1, 2011

15 nights post April 1, 2011

Silver status extends thru end of 2012

15 nights post on April 1, 2012

Silver status extends thru end of 2013

15 nights post on Aprill 1 2013

and so on.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:15 pm

Crud.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is your anniversary date for your cc, from the "crud" I take it it is late in the year?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
What is your anniversary date for your cc, from the "crud" I take it it is late in the year?
July.

So my options are to get my Gold status for 2012 by hitting 4 more nights.

OR

Get 4 nights sometime by July and when I hit my anny, get Gold for the rest of 2012 and all of 2013.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You current have 45 nights, you are getting 1 more, so will end the year with 46. 36 will roll over into 2012. As soon as your 15 cc nights post you will have 51, "earning" you Gold in 2012/2013 wiht no stays at all.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The 15 nights post on your anniversary date and since sstatus extends thru the next year after you qualify you always have silver status if you have the card.

For example a member with no nights gets the card on April 1, 2011

15 nights post April 1, 2011

Silver status extends thru end of 2012

15 nights post on April 1, 2012

Silver status extends thru end of 2013

15 nights post on Aprill 1 2013

and so on.
You're right -- they work out so that you requalify before you lose status, so you always have the elite status.

However, I think the elite status extends through the end of February of the second year after the year in which you qualify (i.e., qualifying in 2011 gives elite through 28 February 2013). This comes in handy for folks who didn't quite manage to requalify, but do so before March of the next year.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
rollover

Originally Posted by RogerD408
They have stated 2011 nights will roll over to 2012. So no issue there. The next question is will they allow 2012 nights roll over to 2013? Until they make it a permanent addition to the program (which I doubt they will do), we can only wait until they make the announcement each year.
My guess would be January, but looks like the Mrt web page is CYA for 2012.

The words " for one more year " are crystal clear.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Counsellor
As to whether the program is ongoing into 2012 (rollover to 2013 for earning status in 2014), see the second post in this thread and the links in that post. They say "one more year". So, no, it hasn't been extended into 2012 (but of course they could do so if they wanted to).

Point about "not new news" is the story in USA Today referenced above and in TopFlyer reporting that excess nights earned this year (2011) will roll over into 2012. That's been known over here since December of 2010.

I hope Marriott does decide to do rollovers next year as well, due to the poor economy, or something like the "double nights" promotion they did right after 11 September 2001 when travel nosedived, but nothing yet, just the "one more year" statement in 2010. I'd expect we would hear in mid- to late December if they decide to offer it again for 2012.
I would be in heaven if Marriott gave a double night promotion to lock up my LT platinum sooner

Now double points would be even better@:-)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I just take one year at a time. I think if everyone is happy then MR will probably continue the roll over. Can't plan anything for long with any loyalty program since everything could change with or without notice.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
I certainly hope they do rollover as I will have 165+ nights (butt in bed) this year which will give me plat for 2013 by default.

However I will be over 75 nights again next year so it's somewhat moot for me. With business dropping off for my company we never know if they'll cancel travel for a quarter or two so it's nice to have the insurance of keeping status rather than starting over from a lower tier.

I would LOVE to go six months with no hotel stays
This exact scenario caused me to qualify for Fairmont status, challenge to Hyatt status, and credit card (surpass) to Hilton status.

Get out and play the field a bit, see how the grass looks on the other side of the fence.

(Marriott is still my primary program!)

Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
...a status card just fills up space in my wallet
Blasphemy!

Last edited by LarkSFO; Dec 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
This exact scenario caused me to qualify for Fairmont status, challenge to Hyatt status, and credit card (surpass) to Hilton status.

Get out and play the field a bit, see how the grass looks on the other side of the fence.

(Marriott is still my primary program!)

Blasphemy!

If only UA treated me half as good as Marriott

I've even kept and use the Marriott card as it's benefits are worthwhile. Hotel points are worth more to me than FF miles anyways.

My plan is to make sure I have enough points and nights for LT platinum. But thus far there's not been much reason to change as I've had good luck using my points for the places I want to stay. Two vacations this year will be funded soley on points (Cat 6 hotels) and I'll still have a plenty left^
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So if I only stay 15 nights next year, but my lifetime Gold kicks in for 2013, is it still only nights over 50 that will carry over in 2013, not over 10? I may have a slow year next year and am trying to figure out how to get those final 60 to lifetime PLT.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich
So if I only stay 15 nights next year, but my lifetime Gold kicks in for 2013, is it still only nights over 50 that will carry over in 2013, not over 10? I may have a slow year next year and am trying to figure out how to get those final 60 to lifetime PLT.
If that close get the credit card. You get 15 elite night credits per year. Not sure if you know but you also must be MR member for 12 years and have 2M pts for LT plat...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.