Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:29 pm

Are rollover nights for sure for 2012?

I will end the year way above the platinum quota again, but wondered if anyone has something official that says extras in 2011 will roll over into 2012
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: MVCI, MRP
Here's a FT thread started by Marriott Concierge: Elite Rollover is Back for 2011 Note "... all nights you earn in 2011 in excess of the Elite requirements are automatically applied to your 2012 status."

Here's a link to a Marriott.com page which also says, "... all nights in excess of the Elite requirement are automatically applied to your 2012 status."

Both of these say that the promotion was extended for only one more year.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:01 pm

I have a rollover question --sorry if this is a thread hijack. Seems relevant and more efficient than a new thread.

I am closing in on 50 nights this year, which is high for me. I have an 8 night stay planned for early January. It seems to me that I get more use of gold if I don't hit 50 this year. If I hit 50, it will be in mid-december. That would give me gold only for the rest of this year and next, right? If instead I stop at 49 this year, 39 will rollover. With my 8 night stay plus some other stays, I shoud make gold by early Feb next year. That makes me gold thru 2013, right? Seems by waiting, all I miss on is being gold for my Jan stay. (Not a big deal to me -- not an expensive stay.). And I get to be gold for 10 more months. Anything I am missing?

Last edited by lkar; Sep 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Anything I am missing?
Your plan could work (and if you qualify for Gold in early 2012 the status would carry through February of 2014).

However, often Marriott will grant status at the next level if you're a night or two away, so you could get raised to Gold for 2012 based on 49 nights in 2011. Note I said "could", not "will".

P.S. Have you considered getting the Marriott Premier credit card? It gives you 15 nights credit each year toward elite status (and lifetime status) as well as other benefits.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Your plan could work (and if you qualify for Gold in early 2012 the status would carry through February of 2014).

However, often Marriott will grant status at the next level if you're a night or two away, so you could get raised to Gold for 2012 based on 49 nights in 2011. Note I said "could", not "will".

P.S. Have you considered getting the Marriott Premier credit card? It gives you 15 nights credit each year toward elite status (and lifetime status) as well as other benefits.
And if you are granted Gold by Marriott, then your plan won't work and you won't have any roll over nites.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor

Thanks. I didn't know about Marriott granting status. I think I'll just continue to stay at Marriott and if I get to 50 this year so be it; probably not much advantage in trying to game the system too much.

I do have the marriott card -- it gave me 15 nights a few months ago, which is what has me close to 50. I think it won't give me the next 15 until late next year, on my anniversary. Even with those 15 and my 12 in January, I don't think I'll qualify for gold next year, but I might. Just have to see.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriot Plat Prem, Hyatt Diamond, AA EP
i used to stay exclusively at marriott and hilton, now i have switched to starwood and hyatt as often as possible, and using the other two to fill in the blanks.

now i had 76 rollover nights last year from marriott - which was enough for plat this year.

I will probably end this year at the 75 nights stayed, but I'm curious. If I were only to stay 60 nights this year + the 76 that rolled over - would I have 66 rollover nights next year? How does that work?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ekardz
I will probably end this year at the 75 nights stayed, but I'm curious. If I were only to stay 60 nights this year + the 76 that rolled over - would I have 66 rollover nights next year? How does that work?
If you stay 60 nights this year, your balance, including the 76 that rolled over last year, would be 137 at the end of this year. The excess above 75 would roll over, so 61 would roll over and you would start 2012 with 61 nights and be platinum for 2012.

Note that in this example, one of the nights that you're rolling over to 2012 was actually a rolled over night from 2010 to 2011. As I understand it, previously rolled over nights did indeed rollover to the next year this year. I'm not sure whether Marriott has yet made clear whether you can rollover to 2012 nights that previously rolled over.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:25 am

... Note that in this example, one of the nights that you're rolling over to 2012 was actually a rolled over night from 2010 to 2011. As I understand it, previously rolled over nights did indeed rollover to the next year this year. I'm not sure whether Marriott has yet made clear whether you can rollover to 2012 nights that previously rolled over.
Last year first they said previously rolled over nights would roll over, then they said they wouldn't, then they made allowances for those who expected they would based on what they said.

Based on this post from Marriott Concierge, this year previously rolled over nights will not roll over again. This year I'm figuring, "... take the total number of nights you accrued in [2011], subtract the amount of nights that rolled over from [2010], and then subtract the number of nights needed for your status. What is left will roll over."
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by SueDonJ
Last year first they said previously rolled over nights would roll over, then they said they wouldn't, then they made allowances for those who expected they would based on what they said.

Based on this post from Marriott Concierge, this year previously rolled over nights will not roll over again. This year I'm figuring, "... take the total number of nights you accrued in [2011], subtract the amount of nights that rolled over from [2010], and then subtract the number of nights needed for your status. What is left will roll over."
Supporting that view is the fact that my account seems to be tracking rollover nights from last year to this year.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by ekardz
i used to stay exclusively at marriott and hilton, now i have switched to starwood and hyatt as often as possible, and using the other two to fill in the blanks.

now i had 76 rollover nights last year from marriott - which was enough for plat this year.

NO. You will have Plat status with zero rollover nights. Here's the official way that rollover is computed (rewritten/clarified after the 2010 to 2011 rollover debacle):

Will previous year Rollover Nights roll over into the following year?

No. Elite Rollover Nights do expire after one year and will not roll over beyond the one-year timeframe.

For example, Silver Elite Member
•5 rollover nights in 2010 (rolled over from 2009)
•20 nights stayed in 2010

10 nights are needed to renew at Silver Elite

The 10 excess nights above the level threshold (10 nights to renew) will roll over to your 2011 account. The 5 rollover nights from 2009 will have expired.

Link: https://www.marriott.com/marriott/eliterolloverFAQs.mi

Personal note: Because of the 2010 to 2011 double rollover debacle, I had 235 nights, many that rolled from 2009, roll over to this year's totals.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Sep 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
NO. You will have Plat status with zero rollover nights. Here's the official way that rollover is computed (rewritten/clarified after the 2010 to 2011 rollover debacle):

Will previous year Rollover Nights roll over into the following year?

No. Elite Rollover Nights do expire after one year and will not roll over beyond the one-year timeframe.

For example, Silver Elite Member
5 rollover nights in 2010 (rolled over from 2009)
20 nights stayed in 2010

10 nights are needed to renew at Silver Elite

The 10 excess nights above the level threshold (10 nights to renew) will roll over to your 2011 account. The 5 rollover nights from 2009 will have expired.

Link: https://www.marriott.com/marriott/eliterolloverFAQs.mi

Personal note: Because of the 2010 to 2011 double rollover debacle, I had 235 nights, many that rolled from 2009, roll over to this year's totals.
I thought ekardz was saying that he had 76 nights roll over last year to this year, to which he's adding 60 stay nights in 2011. In that circumstance, won't 60 rollover? He's not doing a double rollover -- 75 of the 76 nights that rolled over are being used this year to maintain plat. The rest of his stay nights will rollover, and he'll lose 1 night, because that would be a double rollover.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I thought ekardz was saying that he had 76 nights roll over last year to this year, to which he's adding 60 stay nights in 2011. In that circumstance, won't 60 rollover? He's not doing a double rollover -- 75 of the 76 nights that rolled over are being used this year to maintain plat. The rest of his stay nights will rollover, and he'll lose 1 night, because that would be a double rollover.
No, all previous rollover nights die.
I posted my rollover specifics but I'll flesh out more details for 2011:
Nights stayed: 18
Credit card nights: 27
Rollover nights: 235

I expect to get Plat Premier again this year because I'm at 280 nights. However, I will have zero rollover nights. I would need 75 nights (more than that but that's what they subtract) to keep Plat Premier.
My nights eligible for rollover are 18 + 27 = 45. However, the 75 is first subtracted from eligible rollover nights so I have zero rollover nights.
Although I have zero rollover nights, the previous 235 rolled over nights will apply to my next year's status AFTER nights earned this year have been subtracted.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:06 pm

Oh, I see -- they take from night stayed first. That's the part I was missing.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:10 pm

Going by what MC said it seems like iflyjets is right. There are a few different ways to go about doing the math but I think the way MC explained it is the simplest, especially when you have nights earned from stays, the VISA card and any other bonuses:
~ combined total of all nights for 2011
~ less 2010-into-2011 rollover nights
~ less status requirement
~ equals 2011-into-2012 rollover nights.

136 total nights,
less the 76 rolled over from 2010 is 60,
less the 75 Plat requirement is -15.
Since what's left over is less than zero, no nights roll over to 2012.
(Now if ekardz was Gold Elite, then he'd (she'd?) be rolling over the 10 nights above 50 for Gold status.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.