Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CPRich
So if I was Gold last year, and carry over 20 nights, stay 55 nights this year - so exactly 75 qualifying nights and 55 earned nights - my rollover "bar" for this year gets reset to 75, and I rollover nothing, even if that last stay is December 30th. I don't roll over the 5 that exceeded the number of 50?

I'll need to look at that more closely - not as I understood it.

And this appears to be at odds with your earlier statement

Which agrees with my calculation - OP was Gold at the end of last year, which means 50.

(I also made a correction upstream - it's not just "paid nights in Marriott rooms this year", it's "all night credits earned this year", which would include credit card, bonus, etc. As noted, this can also be calculated by subtracting rollover nights from the status counter nights at any point)
Please read my ENTIRE post. I was trying to make a generic that would work for any year...
Given the formula only works after year-end:
Specifically, your rollover nights granted for 2013 will depend upon your status at the end of 2012 (or beginning of 2013 since status is good through February). IF you make Plat during the year then only those nights EARNED that exceed 75 will roll over.

That's the way it has been and MR has not posted any changes. Not that we see them here on FT much anymore.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Ah, but here's the thing: status does not expire on January 1st. It expires in February. So, in your scenario, you'd still be Gold at the beginning of the year, thus your threshold would be 50.

We had this whole debate last year, didn't we?
Yes, we did. And my guess it will continue. This is a good example Marriott Concierge should be stepping in, but then they have messed it up (at least in the beginning) and since they don't seem to chime in, my guess is they have their hands full with MI and have given up on FT.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's three different scenarios-

Scenario 1- Status in 2012 is higher than status earned for 2013. (IE you were Gold, didn't requalify and will fall to silver) Marriott has been crystal clear that in this case you get no rollover nights.

Scenario 2- Status the same for both years (IE you were Gold and you earn between 50 and 74 nights) Marriott has been clear you rollover nights above requalification level (excepting rollover nights from last year, whcih michelle didn't understand but is now, this morning, rechecking as an Insider she trusts has again pointed out to her that her statement yesterday was wrong)

Scenario 3- Status for 2013 higher than status at beginning of 2012 IE you were silver on Jan 1, 2012, you stayed 100 nights in 2012 and are now Platinum. CPRich is saying he believes you should rollover 90 nights. I think you rollover 25 nights.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Ah, but here's the thing: status does not expire on January 1st. It expires in February. So, in your scenario, you'd still be Gold at the beginning of the year, thus your threshold would be 50.
I don't think this is related to the question. If you earned PLT during the year, you achieve PLT immediately, not in February, so your status at the end of the year/beginning of next year is PLT.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Specifically, your rollover nights granted for 2013 will depend upon your status at the end of 2012 (or beginning of 2013 since status is good through February). IF you make Plat during the year then only those nights EARNED that exceed 75 will roll over.
I think we agree on the scenario, just disagree on the result. I think it's 50 (required to renew the status held at the start of the year), you believe it's 75 (basis is stepped by achieving a higher level during the year, so based on status at the end of the year).

That's precisely the scenario I proposed and await an "official" response.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
My understanding is that Rollover nights kick in when you exceed the nights needed to to renew your current level, but don't achieve the next level. I could be wrong however, and as I said earlier, any benefit that causes this much confusion amongst memebers and employees needs to be better defined.
It is not really all that difficult. Nights EARNED during the year that exceed your HIGHEST status during the year ROLLOVER to next year.

The only gotcha is rollover nights are not earned and therefore they do not rollover a second year.

There are many corner cases and what ifs that get presented and sometimes the responses tend to get as complicated as the problem presented (I'm guilty of that too often).
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPRICH what if someone had no status at the beginning of the year? Then they rollover everything above 0? Or if they were only silver and they stay 200 nights, I just don't see Marriott giving them 190 nights.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I think we agree on the scenario, just disagree on the result. I think it's 50 (required to renew the status held at the start of the year), you believe it's 75 (basis is stepped by achieving a higher level during the year, so based on status at the end of the year).

That's precisely the scenario I proposed and await an "official" response.
Having been involved with rollovers since their beginning, all I've got say, this is how it happened years past. The first year of rollovers even Marriott Concierge got it wrong. So I'll let history speak for itself.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
any benefit that causes this much confusion amongst memebers and employees needs to be better defined.
Agree 100%.

Cheers.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree 100%.

Cheers.
I will say, assuming the trend continues in that Rollover nights don't rollover, the way the website breaks down your nights does make it a little easier.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what if someone had no status at the beginning of the year? Then they rollover everything above 0?
Does the proposed alternative indicate that someone with no status the previous year, who stays 22 nights, will roll over 12?

I don't think they roll over anything. They didn't earn elite status the previous year, which defines the target audience. Another interesting situation to get an answer to.

Or if they were only silver and they stay 200 nights, I just don't see Marriott giving them 190 nights.
Yes, I thought of exactly this scenario also, and the logic would indicate 190. As I've stated, I've asked and, hopefully, we'll get an answer. Though, as noted, even MR reps have had it wrong numerous times. In fact, it may have been you that corrected Michelle in the last 24 hours.

(fwiw, I've earned PLT for 13 consecutive years, so I have no dog in this hunt - just an interesting discussion)

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:36 pm

Can anyone explain how the infield fly rule works?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I don't think this is related to the question. If you earned PLT during the year, you achieve PLT immediately, not in February, so your status at the end of the year/beginning of next year is PLT.
It is, because when they say beginning of the year, they mean beginning of the year that the nights will roll into, not the year they are rolled over from.

To put it literally, your nights that rollover from 2012 to 2013 are determined by your status at the start of 2013, not 2012. Therefore...

Does the proposed alternative indicate that someone with no status the previous year, who stays 22 nights, will roll over 12?
Yes, they will. That is exactly what happened to me the first year I was active in MR - stayed 11 nights, earned Silver after my last stay of the year, rolled over 1 night.

Originally Posted by diogenes2011
No. No one knows how the infield fly rule works.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, Marriott - lifetime Platinum
I apologize I started such a confusing question. The good news is that I made a decision to not spend anymore nts with Marriott over the 75 since I couldn't guarantee I would hit significantly more than the 81 I believe to be my threshold for rollover next year. No promos by Marriott to help push me either (i already met the 3 cat 4 cert limit) so I concentrated on the lame 1000 pts from Hilton and some double bonus miles.

I will have the definitive answer to this question in January (I either have 0 or 19) when my account resets and shows rollover nights if any. I will most def post results here for everyone to discuss and interpret themselves how the results were achieved.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by diogenes2011
No. No one knows how the infield fly rule works.
Nor how the BCS computer calculates rankings.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, it was confirmed on Marriott Insider that your basis for rollover nights is "stepped up" when you achieve a higher level. So a Gold member staying 74 nights would carry over 24, but stay one more night and make PLT, and you roll over none.

And only achieving a lower level doesn't roll over at that lower level - you get none. E.g. PLT staying 60 nights doesn't roll over 10.

I won't quote the specific guidance provided, as there is still at least one mistake and one very misleading piece in the answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.