Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by trekker954
I rolled over 5 bites in 2010, then in 2011 I had ended with 81 mites. I wasn't happy that they only rolled over 1 nite rather than 6. They basically minus what I didn't need to maintain the status. BUT I EARNED THEM, I personally do not feel this is a true rollover program!

Grrrrrrr
You think you're mad? I lost 18 nights that didn't roll over (ended the year with 68 nights and none rolled into 2012). There were several instances, particularly toward the end of the year, where I paid more and/or stayed in a less convenient location just so that I could earn the nights at Marriott. I won't make that mistake again.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:00 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I'm wondering what status I should be at this point?

In 2010, I took the Platinum challenge late in the year, completed it, which earned the status through 2011.

Since I didn't actually reach 75 nights, my recollection is that I entered 2011 with 0 rollover nights and the "earned" Platinum status from the challenge.

In 2011, I earned only 31 nights. So for 2012, my expectation was to start the year as a Silver with 21 rollover nights.

As of last week, well after the rollover counters were reportedly reset, I was a Platinum with 0 rollover nights. I figured this was some sort of good fortune and didn't think twice about it.

Now today, I'm Gold with 0 rollover nights.

So... what should I actually be? (I can't decide if I'd rather have the rollover or the status at this point.)

EDIT: Just saw this in the post from BigE right before mine:

They didn't clarify IMHO that you first have to re-earn end-of-previous-year status (2011). I mistakenly thought you earned the rollover nights above the new status level that you qualified for in 2012.
Is that true? Maybe that's part of what I'm seeing? Was I given a soft landing to Gold, but since I didn't re-earn Platinum, all the rollover was taken away? Ugh. Clear as mud.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
In 2010, I took the Platinum challenge late in the year, completed it, which earned the status through 2011.

Since I didn't actually reach 75 nights, my recollection is that I entered 2011 with 0 rollover nights and the "earned" Platinum status from the challenge.

In 2011, I earned only 31 nights. So for 2012, my expectation was to start the year as a Silver with 21 rollover nights.

...Now today, I'm Gold with 0 rollover nights.

So... what should I actually be? (I can't decide if I'd rather have the rollover or the status at this point.)
Welcome to the club. I see now that I turned back to Gold despite 78 nights in the last 12 months, and still don't have the 13 rollover I was hoping for.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the thing- you can't get a soft landing to Gold and then expect to get rollover nights for anything above 50. The terms state-

Any extra nights you rack up on your way to earning Marriott Rewards Elite status can be applied toward retaining your status the following year.

Retaining current status, not towards a lower status. You were gifted a lower status via the soft landing perk. (Which is unpublished, but handy)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I'm wondering what status I should be at this point?
Is that true? Maybe that's part of what I'm seeing? Was I given a soft landing to Gold, but since I didn't re-earn Platinum, all the rollover was taken away? Ugh. Clear as mud.
Given the soft landing from Plat, Gold is your valid status this year. None of your rollover nights were "taken away", you did not earn any in the first place. In your situation, you would have had to earn more than 75 nights (through actual stays or CC nights and not rollovers) to keep your Plat status and have any rollover nights.

Given you are Gold now, any nights over 50, but under 75, should roll over for 2013. If you hit 75 nights during the year, you will be Plat and any nights over 75 should roll over. This process is explained many times in previous posts.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Given the soft landing from Plat, Gold is your valid status this year.
Please understand, I'm not at all ungrateful. Marriott has been very generous to me.

I'm just a little sad, because I thought I had been gifted another year of Platinum for some reason... and now I'm "only" Gold and I still have to earn back the hard way.

The terms on the website are still not aggressively clear. If I didn't have FT, I wouldn't pick up on that "retain" language even now.

But I'm sticking with Marriott, even at Gold.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Please understand, I'm not at all ungrateful. Marriott has been very generous to me.

I'm just a little sad, because I thought I had been gifted another year of Platinum for some reason... and now I'm "only" Gold and I still have to earn back the hard way.

The terms on the website are still not aggressively clear. If I didn't have FT, I wouldn't pick up on that "retain" language even now.

But I'm sticking with Marriott, even at Gold.
There are many that claim they get just as good service being Gold as they got being Platinum. As stated in most all the hotel threads I've read, your relationship with a particular property will do you more good that any status with their program. If you frequent a particular property frequently, get to know the management and front desk staff, you'll find more perks coming your way than if you were THE top person in any program.

I find many sites are missing the finer points of their program and that is why sites like FT thrive. Those of us in the trenches know more about how the program works than those that designed them.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: ICH Platinum, Marriott Gold
2012 Roll Over nights and gold promotion from 2011

In the Spring of 2011, I signed up for a gold promotion where if I stayed 12 nights over a certain time period, Id get gold until February 2012. I stayed the nights and got gold status.
- At the end of 2011, my total nights were 33. This included 28 stays and 5 roll over nights from 2010. Note that I was silver in 2010.
- At the end of February 2012, my status was dropped from gold to silver and all of my roll over nights were removed.

Maybe Im completely misunderstanding this, but I think I should have had 18 nights roll over from 2011 into 2012. I had 33 last year. Five were deducted because they were rolled over from 2010 and 10 should have been deducted in order for me to keep silver status. That leaves 18 roll over nights.

I emailed Marriott and the response I got was:
You accrued 33 Elite nights in 2011. Of these, five were Elite Nights rolled over from 2010, so these nights were not included when the number of Elite Rollover Nights for 2011 was calculated. That calculation deducted the five nights from the 2011 total of 33 Elite nights. This resulted in a total of 28 earned Elite nights, so you have zero Elite Rollover Nights applied to your 2012 Elite night total.

Why would I have zero Rollover Nights? Im irritated because Ive already stayed 23 nights this year, so with the 18 roll over nights Id currently have 41 nights, just 9 away from true earned gold status. Ill easily do another 30 nights this year (Im traveling a lot more for work now) which means Id hit platinum. The way it stands now, I wont even regain Gold until much later this year. What am I missing here?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:04 am

The way I understand the program, you have to go over the minimum number of stays in your status level to get rollover nights...so, as you made Gold for 2012, you'd need to have over 50 nights in order to rollover the excess (ie., those over 50).
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:52 am

I didn't make gold for 2012. My status was dropped from gold to silver at the end of last month.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would call and argue it.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I think Marriott is right. You need to have stayed/earned 50 nights in 2011 to remain Gold after Feb 2012. Since you have only earned/stayed 28 nights. Therefore, you are now Silver.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by LAXgt
I think Marriott is right. You need to have stayed/earned 50 nights in 2011 to remain Gold after Feb 2012. Since you have only earned/stayed 28 nights. Therefore, you are now Silver.
I understand that part. But, since I was dropped down to silver, should I get roll over nights for all nights that I stayed in excess of the 10 nights needed for silver? Isn't that how roll over nights work?

My issue isn't that I was dropped to silver, it's that I wasn't given credit for any roll over nights.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
i understand. but your status last year was not silver. it was gold.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would argue that you started the year as silver, and ended as silver. You were temporarily granted Gold due to a promotion, but that you should not be penalized for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.