Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by italdesign
Has anyone booked the C&P rate of 2k + $35 and remember how much tax & fee is added? Is it about 20% of the $35?
A dummy booking (cash) shows 17.7% which should be no different for C&P but you're at the mercy of the hotel's initial exchange rate which is the proverbial wrench in the cogs.

I've long pined for SPG to set a local currency rate at the time of a C&P booking akin to Hyatt's practice.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:03 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A non-FTer friend stayed at this property last week & emailed me the following. The email was about a variety of things not travel-related, but in the middle was this report re: his stay. He's Platinum. I have his permission to post the property info/trip report part of his email to me on FT.

"The Chiang Rai Meridien is a Resort but still benefits provided are really pitiful -

Breakfast chosen as platinum "gift" and was told to eat in their Italian Rest Favola where it's an upgraded breakfast vs the breakfast restaurant, but getting a second cup of coffee was worse then pulling teeth (and there was only 1 other table occupied). Breakfast was not buffet but choice of 8, with such appetizing items such as 3 previously frozen hash brown wedges or many chicken sausages (and this is not a halal area). My wife got sick on the undated yogurt. That night asked Guest Services about going to the normal breakfast and was told, sure as Platinum you have choice (but informed differently at checkin).

No Lounge but given vouchers 50% off drinks off a selected menu (no chardonnay) during 5 to 7PM.

GM and SPG Guest Service Rep - neither identified nor introduced themselves.

Since this hotel is currently a Cat 2 but moving up to a 3 I had made reservations for a return next year (prior to arrival) but after this 3 nighter will be cancelling those reservations."

Cheers.
I just completed a stay there, beautiful property on the river. I too was a bit disappointed by lack of platinum drinks, but as someone posted this property is so cheap and alcohol is expensive in Thailand so don't see how they could make a profit, pRticularly if some elites abused the privilege (have seen this in other Asian properties where people take advantage) sorry don't think you can complain when your Marriott don't even offer breakfast at resorts! Breakfast is free, if taken as plat amenity, why do so many ( particularly those from NA complain about losing 500 measly points, given the horrible offerings for breakfast in US properties)

I agree it is a bit cheap offering 50 % off, a free drink would have been more appreciated
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fdem
Breakfast is free, if taken as plat amenity, why do so many ( particularly those from NA complain about losing 500 measly points, given the horrible offerings for breakfast in US properties)
Perhaps because many of us don't base our (breakfast offerings as a reference to NA properties).
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:17 pm

anyone have thoughts on the number of nights to explore and relax here? We held a week here at Cat 2 in case we need more than a few, but it's nice to hear what people think is enough. thanks
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
finally, they did upgrade plat member to the highest room category, grand suite.
As has been written elsewhere, I believe that this hotel has only one real suite. The normal PLT upgrade is to the wing with larger rooms. I've stayed in them a number of times, and, IMO, they at least as good as a suite. Walk-in closet, good-sized bathroom, and I love the large balcony overlooking the pool and river.

Originally Posted by spellbound2
anyone have thoughts on the number of nights to explore and relax here? We held a week here at Cat 2 in case we need more than a few, but it's nice to hear what people think is enough. thanks
A week would be a good amount of time for a lazy, relaxed visit. I'd say do your sightseeing in the mornings and take leisurely afternoons by the pool, and seven days sounds about right.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:43 am

I too ended up reserving some rooms for Feb.2018 before the category moved up..always wanted to venture up to the northern part but was a little turned off when they really cut the PLT benefits. We are thinking of flying into BKK for a couple nights then off to Chiang Rai and heard about this Yellow VP Bus or something of the sort - thought it might be a nice 3 hour ride to Chiang Mai and try out the Le Meridien for a couple of nights then fly back to BKK.
Anyone heard anything about this bus etc.,
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bravada04
I too ended up reserving some rooms for Feb.2018 before the category moved up..always wanted to venture up to the northern part but was a little turned off when they really cut the PLT benefits. We are thinking of flying into BKK for a couple nights then off to Chiang Rai and heard about this Yellow VP Bus or something of the sort - thought it might be a nice 3 hour ride to Chiang Mai and try out the Le Meridien for a couple of nights then fly back to BKK.
Green Bus.

http://www.greenbusthailand.com/webs...bus/time-table
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:37 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
going LM chiang mai and chiang rai now for five years, and i have only taken the bus the first time. It was a horrible experience

I suggest renting a car, there is a lot to see on the way as well
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cln
going LM chiang mai and chiang rai now for five years, and i have only taken the bus the first time. It was a horrible experience

I suggest renting a car, there is a lot to see on the way as well
I've taken the bus and survived. Also to Mueang Nan... .and survived.

Your point is well taken though, having your own transportation in the north is convenient and liberating. For OP they'd be hit by a o/w surcharge on the itin described however.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:03 pm

Oh noooo! UGH. LOL. Here I thought this VIP bus was going to be such a great idea..leave in the morning and enjoy the countryside? The pictures of the thing look decent with 1 - 2 seating for room and even a bathroom on board!!

I would rather not fly such a short route.....by the time we dk around at the airport and such we could probably be there driving.
..and yes you are right. Not interested in getting nailed for one way charge nor have I ever rented a car in Thailand?

How come this bus was so horrible.....it makes no stops correct? ....or is it just the 3 hour or whatever long ride.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:53 pm
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
For us 100 just take a car with driver. Bus is full of backpackers really beautiful drive and you can make stops at White Temple an hot springs en route
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh noooo! UGH. LOL. Here I thought this VIP bus was going to be such a great idea..leave in the morning and enjoy the countryside? The pictures of the thing look decent with 1 - 2 seating for room and even a bathroom on board!!

I would rather not fly such a short route.....by the time we dk around at the airport and such we could probably be there driving.
..and yes you are right. Not interested in getting nailed for one way charge nor have I ever rented a car in Thailand?

How come this bus was so horrible.....it makes no stops correct? ....or is it just the 3 hour or whatever long ride.
The bus is not horrible at all. Green Bus runs several different styles and the VIP 1x1 seating (1x2?) is spacious and more than adequate for a 3hr ride. There's a/c, they give out water bottles and it's, in reality, completely fine.

However you are at the mercy of their schedule.

Oh, and there are no flights in between unless you want to connect in BKK.

Originally Posted by fdem
For us 100 just take a car with driver. Bus is full of backpackers really beautiful drive and you can make stops at White Temple an hot springs en route
Your description doesn't sound at all like Green Bus VIP.... have you actually taken it?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, SPG Plat, HGVC, AsiaMiles
We took the VIP bus a few years ago and quite enjoyed it. The main drawback if you have luggage however is that the bus stations in both CM and CR are a fair distance out of the center of town.

We often rent cars and don't mind driving in Thailand at all but don't really need a car in either of the two cities and don't want to pay a one-way charge (not to mention the hassle we've had with car rental agencies in the past).

For that reason we now just hire a car and driver.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:09 am

The VIP bus that I looked at showed 1 x 2 seating - I never seen 1 x 1 seating? As for choosing a car & driver one way how much does that set a person back?

.....and correct. If there are no flights in between I would not be interested in connecting back in BKK
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:33 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
the bus i took was horrible 5 years ago, maybe there are other options now, the bus was packed with very loud tourists ( i wont mention where they came from... )
budget thailand has no oneway charge if u rent more 5 or more days...
In Chiang Rai the car can be very useful as well :]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.