Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by StationaryTraveller
Amazing. Because ... there are only one Grand Suite
I believe that there are two of these suites and our stay was just for about 24 hrs.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:10 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold

I don't see Grande Suite bookable on spg.com . Only Grand Deluxe ...

Edit: I just checked the link/picw you provided, nice upgrade )
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum. Hilton Gold. IHG PA. Accor Platinum
SPG Platinum Benefits Jan 2014

- 500 Points
- Fully buffet breakfast at Latest Recipe
- Unlimited drink during PM 5~7 at Latitude 19 or Chill Bar

Photo Here

Shuttle bus was microtransaction
Thb 50 'Per Person Per Way'

Last edited by StationaryTraveller; Jan 21, 2014 at 10:31 pm Reason: not see photo
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StationaryTraveller
Amazing. Because ... there are only one Grand Suite
There are two and if they are available they will certainly let you use points or cash to upgrade.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum. Hilton Gold. IHG PA. Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
There are two and if they are available they will certainly let you use points or cash to upgrade.
Now
I asked to go the front desk
Grand Suite one? Two?
Said that only one Grand Suite
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Just read through the last several pages of this thread. LMCR is offering rooms for amazing prices in July and August.
I am only Starwood Preferred Plus (below Gold!)
Would you:
1) Pay THB1850 for standard room but no breakfast or (I think) wifi.
2) Pay THB3300 (2900 single) for standard room with breakfast, plus Lunch Buffet (Mon to Fri/ or Dinner Buffet on Sat/Sun), wifi, and a 30 minute massage for 2.
3) Pay 3,000/4,000 Points per night as a Category 2 hotel, no breakfast or wifi.

Reading through this thread, about 90% of the posts are from SPG Platinums, so most of your perks don't apply.
Yet after 2 weeks in BKK sitting poolside or on a balcony sounds nice. Walking down the road for dinner sounds ok too. Taking a few day trips could be fun.
Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by kyushuman

1) Pay THB1850 for standard room but no breakfast or (I think) wifi.
This. I would check 3rd party sites to see if they have BRG opportunities too.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by holtju2
Just checked and I'm seeing exactly the same rate down to the Baht on Booking dot com and the others are actually more (Exp, Hotels, etc).
What would you do?
Of course I could also stay at a cheaper hotel closer to town.... the idea of having lunch/dinner included is nice but then again in Thailand local food can be so tasty-and cheaper, too!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
1850thb sounds like quite a bargain, imo. If you are gold you can choose free wifi as your amenity.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
1850thb sounds like quite a bargain, imo. If you are gold you can choose free wifi as your amenity.
Lol no status. That's why I'm still deciding if 1850 is all that good when we'll have to pay for WiFi and Breakfast. Or the 3300 including breakfast and lunch or dinner buffet and wifi and short massage.... sounds nice but might be better off to just stay somewhere else and do those things a la carte. Decisions, decisions. It does seem like the reviews of this place are nice (even when you take away all Platinum perks)--
If I put it this way:
If I took away all of the Platinum/Gold perks for this hotel, would you guys still choose it for THB1850? Or would you book elsewhere?
Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
Just checked and I'm seeing exactly the same rate down to the Baht on Booking dot com and the others are actually more (Exp, Hotels, etc).
What would you do?
Of course I could also stay at a cheaper hotel closer to town.... the idea of having lunch/dinner included is nice but then again in Thailand local food can be so tasty-and cheaper, too!
I live about an hour and a half outside CR and often spend weekends or have errands to attend to there. I've stayed at the hotel a number of times over the years and used it as my base in CR. Its a very nice hotel. I'd certainly recommend it as the best in the area.
That said, I don't stay there anymore. The 450 baht wifi fee is the total price of the perfectly nice guesthouse I've chosen (which includes free and very fast wfi). The food at the Meridian is very good, but the hotel is a a fair walk from some of the the small restaurants in CR that offer some of the best food in northern Thailand like the "Khao Soi Phor Jai" restaurant on Jedyod where a Kaoi soi piset is 50 baht (breakfast at the Meridian is 650 baht).
Of course you can't directly compare a 5 star hotel with a guesthouse experience, just pointing out that there are alternatives. It was the wifi fee that turned me away from the Meridian at first. I've never regretted moving on from staying there, except for the pool.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Lol no status. That's why I'm still deciding if 1850 is all that good when we'll have to pay for WiFi and Breakfast. Or the 3300 including breakfast and lunch or dinner buffet and wifi and short massage.... sounds nice but might be better off to just stay somewhere else and do those things a la carte. Decisions, decisions. It does seem like the reviews of this place are nice (even when you take away all Platinum perks)--
If I put it this way:
If I took away all of the Platinum/Gold perks for this hotel, would you guys still choose it for THB1850? Or would you book elsewhere?
Thanks!
If you've been in Thailand for a few weeks doing the guesthouse thing for a while then I'd personally take a night to relax in proper Western style and pay 3300 THB to have everything included. Human nature is to enjoy things more when it's prepackaged instead of a la carte. Saving $30 usd (vs the lower rate and going out for food) won't change your world. It's a great relaxing property.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
If you can find e.g. Dusit for a decent amount of cash with amenties included, it might be better value for you. The breakfast at LM wasn't that great. It's the best SPG in Chiang Rai, though
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by holtju2
Unfortunately he has no status so may not be beneficial.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
SPG HOT ESCAPES

$55 night

http://www.spghotescapes.com/all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.