Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by ftrichard
No. What. Really? I was there in March this year for the second time and they had the two hours of drinks from a limited menu plus snacks in the bar.

This has finished?
Yes it has finished. But you know at the price point... It's sort of acceptable. You sometimes see them publish rates well below 3000 Baht a night.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Frab1
According to the staff the suite is at the end of the wing on floor 4 ....
I believe that it's room 5407. One of my friends stayed in it while I was there; although I did not see the interior.

Just finishing up a delightful three days here. Some observations:

The physical plant is gorgeous. The first impression of the large open air lobby with very high ceilings is one of airiness and calm. Ample smiling staff were present to deal with bags and provide cool drinks during the checkin process, which takes place sitting at a normal desk, as opposed to standing at a checkin desk. Smiling and friendly checkin agent explained the hotel a bit as well as PLT benefits. All paperwork was in order on arrival.

The grounds, too, are beautiful. While I was there, I saw from my room a wedding setup on one of the lawns. It was just perfect, -- romantic, shaded by large trees and beautiful. Given the grounds, pool and some interesting sightseeing in the general local area, I can imagine that this would be a great location for a laid-back destination wedding.

The omnipresent General Manager, Mr. Murali Viswanathan, was in the lobby area while we were checking in and welcomed us personally. He’s a lovely and gregarious man with both a quick mind and quick wit. (I know him from his previous position in Starwood.)

The guest rooms are situated in a series of long, four story buildings spread throughout the property and connected by walkways. I used SNAs and was upgraded to the Grand Deluxe Wing and thus can comment only about that. (I believe that the PLT upgrade percentage is pretty good here; but I wanted to increase my chances on this particular visit.) The room was quite large, almost too large, with very high ceilings. Off the entrance hallway is a large, walk-in closet with lots of space as well as a tall hanging rod and a shorter one, plus a platform for suitcases. Opposite, on the other side of the entrance hallway, is the bathroom, with a tub in the main part of the room, along with separate sub-rooms for shower and toilet. The shower is quite large, would fit 2-3 people comfortably, and is equipped with a regular shower head on a hose and mounted on the wall as well as a rain head. Standard LM brand toiletries (which I happen to quite like).

The room has a large balcony equipped with a large, padded lounger as well as a chair or two. The balcony looks out on the pool area. Everything in the room worked as it was supposed to, except....

Returned one afternoon to find a puddle in the front hall. It obviously came from the air conditioning unit in the ceiling above that space. I asked for assistance from the front desk; and two gentlemen from engineering came quickly with towels and a tall ladder. They opened up the ceiling and fixed the problem quickly. 10-15 minutes later someone from management called to make sure that the repair was completed to my satisfaction. This is exactly how it should have been handled. Problems occur; but it’s how the hotel handles them that is really telling.

There is a pretty good sized flat screen TV mounted on the wall opposite the bed. Viewing options were limited during my visit as H.M. King Bhumibol had just died; and all programming was pre-empted by coverage of this sad event.

The pool is large and beautiful. It’s a multi-tiered infinity-edged pool with three levels going down to the adjacent river level. There are comfortable lounges in pairs generously spaced around the pool; you never felt crowded. While I was at the pool, there were always two staff members standing discreetly off to one side watching to see if anyone needed anything. If you looked up to try to catch their attention, one of them came right over with a menu, a smile and a pleasant greeting. If memory serves me correctly, the top tier of the pool is not as deep, and thus more suitable for children.

PLT happy hour benefit is 50% off drinks in Latitude 19 Bar.

One of this hotel’s great strengths is its staff. With only one exception that I noticed, all staff members were sufficiently fluent in English to understand and be understood in a hotel context. They are genuinely friendly, too (with the same exception)! Pass a staff member anywhere in the hotel and you’ll invariably get a smile and a greeting. Ask any of them for assistance and they will be pleased to assist, regardless of your specific request and their position or job. These people seem genuinely happy in their work.

The only area I found which could use some improvement is food. We ate dinner in both Latest Recipe and Favola, and breakfast in Latest Recipe. While there was nothing particularly wrong with any of the food, I would describe it as uninspired. Note that there are both indoor and outdoor tables at Latest Recipe. An outdoor table on the balcony makes for a very pleasant breakfast experience.

There’s a small village only five minutes’ walk down the street (turn right as you exit the driveway) with some good restaurant options. In particular, I recommend Lulum for authentic Issan food. I believe that there’s also a Chinese restaurant, but I’ve never eaten there.

One interesting note was that I was speaking one afternoon with Mr. Viswanathan and I mentioned that the hotel seemed nearly empty. I wondered aloud what plans he had to increase occupancy. He replied that at that moment, the hotel was 80% full! During my visit, the hotel was always both quiet and peaceful. Even in the late afternoon, when tourists return from sightseeing and business visitors from work, with 20-30 people or more in and around the pool, it didn’t seem crowded or noisy at all. Nor did the staff seem at all overwhelmed, harried or frantic. Service was consistently relaxed and smiling.

This is a great resort hotel. It’s definitely low key, -- calm, peaceful and relaxing. The beautiful and spacious grounds, low-rise design and expansive pool all contribute to a feeling of calmness which I really liked. I would definitely classify this property as a solid five star resort.

And it’s a bargain, too. Just checked a random week next March (2017), -- THB 3,040++/night, or USD $86++/night, for a seven night stay.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
We stayed here (again) for two nights after New Year's, using points. The hotel and grounds and room are pretty impressive given the category level. The platinum perks weren't so great, though.

1) Have to use your 500 points to get breakfast (most Thai SPG hotels give you the points and breakfast).
2) We didn't get a room upgrade.
3) We couldn't get a late checkout past 1 PM, even though 15+ rooms were bookable on the website. It's a resort, so it's "based on availability" and perhaps it's never "available".
4) As people have said, you just get half off coupons for drinks. No free drinks or free food.
5) We did get a few chocolates and candies and fruit as a welcome gift in the room. That would be the only substantial thing they give to plats above the minimum required, though I'm not sure it's actually platinum-specific.

The breakfast was pretty good for the level, except the pastries lacked freshness. I'd rather have Four Points BKK, or any other Thai SPG hotel, but it is (for me) not far off, and is better than the Aloft.

We ate once in the restaurant and it was pretty good. There are several restaurants about 2-3 blocks away which are even better and half the price. And busy, it seems. I had a whole fried Tilapia in Tamarind sauce (Leelawadee) for only 240 baht.

Right now they have a free boat shuttle to the free flower festival, both of which were quite nice. They also still have a shuttle that goes to town (Night Market and Central Mall) many times a day for 50 baht/person roundtrip.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
This is disappointing. It looks like the hotel has significantly cut its Platinum benefits. Maybe they have so many tour groups that they don't need/value us any more.

I stayed twice last year and both times got both 500 points *and* breakfast and the two hours of Platinum drinks with nibbles in the bar. Nice room upgrade to one of the huge double-fronted rooms that faces the pool too. Felt they wanted me to stay there.

Sure, it's on the cheaper end for a Le Meridien in Thailand but that's more of a reflection of Chiang Rai's location somewhat out of the way and more on the backpacker trail than a luxury resort destination. Looks like the Four Points Sandakan with its lounge, breakfast, points and suite upgrades is now the value property of choice in Asia...
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
With the current and reducing platinum benefits, this property is no longer on my radar.

It's not their fault, just don't worth my effort to go there.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:58 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
With the current and reducing platinum benefits, this property is no longer on my radar.

It's not their fault, just don't worth my effort to go there.
How is this not their fault?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:57 am

Was on my radar also for the longest time but not anymore. I will be visiting the Le Meridien in Saigon next month as I believe the old Manager here is now Managing that Le Meridien?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by yosithezet
How is this not their fault?
Indeed. I agree with you. I went twice last year because it's a nice hotel and the benefits were good. I would return just to, you know, hang out if I had some spare days but not now with the cut in Platinum benefits.

That is definitely their fault.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:19 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Well, I mean free booze for this rate or points, together with free breakfast. plats just didnt bring in enough revenue to have this freebies justified. with Marriott spg merger there are even more plats....

​​
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BigE
We stayed here (again) for two nights after New Year's, using points. The hotel and grounds and room are pretty impressive given the category level. The platinum perks weren't so great, though.

1) Have to use your 500 points to get breakfast (most Thai SPG hotels give you the points and breakfast).
2) We didn't get a room upgrade.
3) We couldn't get a late checkout past 1 PM, even though 15+ rooms were bookable on the website. It's a resort, so it's "based on availability" and perhaps it's never "available".
4) As people have said, you just get half off coupons for drinks. No free drinks or free food.
5) We did get a few chocolates and candies and fruit as a welcome gift in the room. That would be the only substantial thing they give to plats above the minimum required, though I'm not sure it's actually platinum-specific.

The breakfast was pretty good for the level, except the pastries lacked freshness. I'd rather have Four Points BKK, or any other Thai SPG hotel, but it is (for me) not far off, and is better than the Aloft.

We ate once in the restaurant and it was pretty good. There are several restaurants about 2-3 blocks away which are even better and half the price. And busy, it seems. I had a whole fried Tilapia in Tamarind sauce (Leelawadee) for only 240 baht.

Right now they have a free boat shuttle to the free flower festival, both of which were quite nice. They also still have a shuttle that goes to town (Night Market and Central Mall) many times a day for 50 baht/person roundtrip.
Disappointing.

I've been eating at Leelawadee since 2008. Some nights are better than others but in general it's consistent. The music is, um, entertaining at best and large groups can be quite loud but it's part of the package.

The menu is extensive.

Originally Posted by ftrichard
This is disappointing. It looks like the hotel has significantly cut its Platinum benefits. Maybe they have so many tour groups that they don't need/value us any more.

I stayed twice last year and both times got both 500 points *and* breakfast and the two hours of Platinum drinks with nibbles in the bar. Nice room upgrade to one of the huge double-fronted rooms that faces the pool too. Felt they wanted me to stay there.

Sure, it's on the cheaper end for a Le Meridien in Thailand but that's more of a reflection of Chiang Rai's location somewhat out of the way and more on the backpacker trail than a luxury resort destination. Looks like the Four Points Sandakan with its lounge, breakfast, points and suite upgrades is now the value property of choice in Asia...
My stays, though none since 2015, were like you describe. This is a significant scaling back of benefits ala Four Points BKK a few years ago.

Originally Posted by cln
Well, I mean free booze for this rate or points, together with free breakfast. plats just didnt bring in enough revenue to have this freebies justified. with Marriott spg merger there are even more plats....

​​
Doubtful. The hotel likely gets more revenue from tour groups so just doesn't care about anything/anyone else. They'll give the bare minimum and be content.

I've already reverted to cheaper establishments in Chiang Mai which are better located (I despise the night bazaar/tourist ghetto area - with the exception of Boy Blues Bar) and not group tour havens.... looks like this hotel is also off the map for me.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:40 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
The Le Meridien Chiang Rai is a great place for a wedding or group stay

Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

221 / 2 Moo 20 Kwaewai Road Tambon Robwieng Amphur Muang Chiang Rai, TH 57000

The Le Meridien Chiang Rai is a great place for a wedding or group stay (4 Photos)

I'm a fan of this property. I think it is beautiful, the rooms are spacious, the pool is delightful and the views are great.

I don't expect suites at this property as they only have one suite, which I shall describe later. 

The lack of free flow drinks doesn't bother me, but the 50% off coupon feels like a slap in the face. Giving a single complimentary drink per stay pe pax would feel less stingy, though it possibly would cost less to implement than the current 50% off coupons.

The lack of breakfast is also a bit annoying, but I book rates here which include breakfast typically. The rates at this property are so low that I can't imagine using points to book roomsIMG_4664.JPG

In October we used this property as the base for our wedding. We had 12 rooms at the height of the festivities. The actual wedding was some 2 hours away, but we had a karaoke evening when we got back to the hotel. The karaoke machine , from an external company, left a lot to be desired The Thai buffet was a real hit with the guests.

Service

Besides the typical stay, as this was a wedding weekend, we booked a room for a karaoke dinner party. The hotel organized a Thai buffet just outside the room, a wet bar in the room with mixers from the hotel and alcohol that we bought at Makro.

The buffet was a huge hit. Everyone found multiple dishes that they enjoyed.

The karaoke was a bit disappointing as the software on the machine they hired was quite unintuitive and the staff that came with the machine were not on the ball. 

The hotel staff were superb and really took care o

Check In

Check-in was vey smooth considering that I had 5-6 rooms booked on various rates with different arrival and departure dates. Many of the rooms were grouped in the same part of the hotel. The staf

I think that the location of the hotel is a huge plus. There are a few nice local restaurants nearby, a convenience store. I rent a car when I'm in Chiang Rai and the resort is well located with regards to everything you could want to access. They have changed the parking arrangements recently. In past years they just left my car parked outside the lobby. Now they take it park it in the parking lot. There was no charge for parking. Tips for fetching the c

Room

This property only has a single suite. Generally, the rooms are all very spacious. The suite is enormous and was very well suited for hosting a large group of friends. The hotel brought us a 10 liter bucket of ice and there was always plenty of water in the room.

IMG_4626.JPG

The bedroom and bathroom we also enormous with a big bathtub in the middle of the bathroom.

IMG_4622.JPG

Coming back to the hotel from the wedding we found some very nice amentities.

Overall

I get that some people are turned off by the need to pay for breakfast and drinks. But I think that overall, the property is very relaxing, well located and beautiful. If you find a great rate that includes breakfast and are just as happy buying some booze down the street at the convenience store, I can't imagine someone not enjoying their time at this property.IMG_4632.JPG

The Le Meridien Chiang Rai is a great place for a wedding or group stay

Would you like to write a review on the Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A non-FTer friend stayed at this property last week & emailed me the following. The email was about a variety of things not travel-related, but in the middle was this report re: his stay. He's Platinum. I have his permission to post the property info/trip report part of his email to me on FT.

"The Chiang Rai Meridien is a Resort but still benefits provided are really pitiful -

Breakfast chosen as platinum "gift" and was told to eat in their Italian Rest Favola where it's an upgraded breakfast vs the breakfast restaurant, but getting a second cup of coffee was worse then pulling teeth (and there was only 1 other table occupied). Breakfast was not buffet but choice of 8, with such appetizing items such as 3 previously frozen hash brown wedges or many chicken sausages (and this is not a halal area). My wife got sick on the undated yogurt. That night asked Guest Services about going to the normal breakfast and was told, sure as Platinum you have choice (but informed differently at checkin).

No Lounge but given vouchers 50% off drinks off a selected menu (no chardonnay) during 5 to 7PM.

GM and SPG Guest Service Rep - neither identified nor introduced themselves.

Since this hotel is currently a Cat 2 but moving up to a 3 I had made reservations for a return next year (prior to arrival) but after this 3 nighter will be cancelling those reservations."

Cheers.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Has anyone booked the C&P rate of 2k + $35 and remember how much tax & fee is added? Is it about 20% of the $35?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA/AA
You are close. It should be 18-19 %.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.