Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
SPG HOT ESCAPES

$55 night

http://www.spghotescapes.com/all
~$1650 USD a month. We should all go live at the LM Chiang Rai
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:04 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Can you imagine all the complaints from those that didn't get an upgrade if we all went?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:38 pm

Is that an old hot escapes as I do not see this hotel listed for Thailand from this past Wednesday??
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Possibly a cheap way to [re]gain status? Cheaper than nearly all properties in the U.S. (assuming that you're already here and have no transportation costs, obviously).
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Is that an old hot escapes as I do not see this hotel listed for Thailand from this past Wednesday??
Nope still there but price is up a little
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Here for two days only. Wish I had more time!

No standard suites here, so I got uged to a Grand Deluxe room, which was nice enough.

Very pleased with the service and the hotel. Breakfast is okey, better in Bangkok and Chiang Mai thought.

The pools are excellent. Very nice infinity pools overlooking the river. And yeah, platinums have free and unlimited drinks from the poolbar, served at your sunbed, from 5PM-7PM. This is excellent! I am enjoying my stay at the pool with a complimentary pina colada right now. However, you can not have two drinks at once - if you want a coke with your beer or a coffee with your pina colada - well, thats not possible. Plats can also choose to have their drinks in the A/C'ed Latitude 19 bar in the lobby.

Great value for 2000 baht a night. Food and beverages arent too bad either, 300 baht for a burger or thai curry and 90 baht for a Chang beer in the bar. Sure it cant compare with the FS and MO resorts in town, but thenagain - you pay less than 10% of that, and on top you get more.

I guess the hotel is running at about 30% occupancy now.

Will be back!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC

Stayed there while ago. Thai foods and local beers are reasonably priced, unlike some overpricing resorts in Thailand.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC

Spent a few nights recently. Beautiful riverside landscape. Plat perks included free breakfast and evening cocktail.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:48 am

Just to continue on the trend of praises for this resort,

As I look back at my 10+ years as a starwood plat, this is arguably one of the best resorts I have stayed in. Definitely not the flashiest or the most romantic/lavish/luxurious etc but the most tranquil and relaxing and where I had the most 'healing' experience. You do feel like you are away from it all with the river flowing timelessly next to you as you sit in the swimming pool sipping on your chang beer. This rings even more true at night when you hear nothing but the gently flowing river and the competitively singing crickets. If you don't mind occasional service gaps and are in for a truly relaxing time off, I would recommend this resort at a heartbeat. I should also mention that the spa is great (or says Mrs. jaejaez).

It is worth mentioning that the Grand Deluxe rooms that plats get upgraded to is no suite, but is arguably bigger than some of the suites I have been to in other cities (definitely bigger than the junior suites I was put in my latest Spanish trip - Westin Palace and Alfonso XIII). Plat happy hour is very generous as previous posters have mentioned and the Italian restaurant is really good too... so good and so reasonably priced that we actually had Italian twice in Chiang Rai........

There are huge trees that dance to the wind in resort grounds and little tiny birds that bathe in the swimming pool when you're far enough away from them. The staff are also genuinely friendly - they are all from nearby towns and whilst may not have the best command of English or are used to dealing with the more demanding foreigners, are interested in where you come from, what you think of Chiang Rai and are psyched happy when you tell them that you would email the General Manager to praise their great service.

I hope it stays in Starwood for many years to come as I will definitely be back the next time I'm in the area.

^^^^
Old May 11, 2015, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Just to continue on the trend of praises for this resort, ....
I agree, this is a lovely place and priced reasonably, too. The only thing I mind is that during certain times of the year, one arrives back at one's room at night to find hundreds of mosquitoes buzzing around the light at your door. Impossible to get into the room without letting in a small battalion of them.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The only thing I mind is that during certain times of the year, one arrives back at one's room at night to find hundreds of mosquitoes buzzing around the light at your door. Impossible to get into the room without letting in a small battalion of them.
Sounds like a great excuse (not that I need one) to light up a cigar for the walk back to the hotel. Time it so the cigar is just about finished when you get back and use it to send the mosquitos away. Plus it will keep the skeeters away during your walk back from the restaurant, etc. That or take a sheet of paper and light it on fire.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Accor LeClub Platinum, IHG Platinum, SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Aegean Gold, AA Platinum
Heading up there tomorrow, so excited to see how it is. Only a SPG Gold, so no breakfast or evening cocktails for me. Pretty decent priced at 80 USD incl tax.

Like others mentioned before, it is tough to find a BRG for this property.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, LH / *A Gold, BA Bronze
Currently at the LM Chiang Rai for already 3 nights and will spend another 2 nights here with the Mrs on 3k points per night. The place is about 10min away from the airport and the cab (I insisted on the meter, don't go for offers such as "I go for 150 THB, its the same as the meter anyways" or for the 600 THB airport pickup unless you value someone to wait for you on arrival) was 80 THB and about 5 min waiting time at the airport for us.

Overall, I agree with the comments made ^^^:
- Got upgraded to the Grande Deluxe Room on top floor (they called it "Standard Suite" at check-in, but I knew what to expect from the discussion here) - great and very large room, everything is brand new, with a rainfall shower and a TV with a decent (although not great) selection of channels as well as a balcony outside
- From the room (apparently this is the Grande Deluxe Wing, where all Plats get put to) we are looking right at the three layers of inifinity pool, which are great (pool is not heated or cooled so it can get cold in winter or a bit hot as of now) to relax. They say the pool is open from 7am to 7pm, but nobody really minds if you go into it during other times.
- Breakfast is good (6am to 10h30am) and more than I expected - they got a station for eggs/omelettes and right next to it a station to create these Thai soups. In addition, they have frozen yoghurt, pasteries (not that much my favorite), salad (European style!), fried noodles/rice and some curry, Chinese hot buns, fresh fruits and a couple of fruit juices (not freshly made unfortunately). I always find some good stuff at breakfast and I was surprised a couple of times at the stuff they have given it is a category 2 hotel. They have decent coffee (Illy), but you gotta ask for it as staff is not proactive here.
- We went to the Italian restaurant (meals in between 300 THB for pizza/pasta up to 800 THB for tenderloin steak), which was good and quite cheap, even considering that we are spoilt for decent and rather cheap Italian food in Munich and to the Thai restaurants mentioned here outside the hotel to the right - went to LeLum and had the Pad Krapow (essentially beef & onions) for about 120 THB plus beers for 80 THB. It tastes like the Chinese restaurant and Asian shop food in Europe, but it is very tasty, so I can't really argue against. ^ Room service is about 300 THB for a burger and 100-150 THB for Thai food, with softdrinks at 60 THB and beers at about 80 THB.
- Plat benefits: We get the breakfast for free, which is really valuable, and 2 hours of free drinks at the bar next to the reception (from a limited choice, i.e. 3 wines, spirits, soft drinks, and either Singha or Chang beer) as well as a few small snacks, as well as the room upgrade. Late check-out was also possible. So overall a good treatment.

I have seen a guy that might be the GM, but haven't spoken to him and he did not reach out to me (only to the other Plat that is staying in the only suite of this resort) - besides me there are probably about 3 other SPG Plats here (briefly saw the list when I went for the drinks in the "Lounge").

Room occupancy is difficult to guess - during the day there is hardly anyone, but at night lots of Spanish speaking tour groups check in - so I'd go with the mentioned 30% as well. You only notice a few at breakfast (we went once at 6am and the other times at 9h30am) and the only times you notice them really is at the pool at 7pm when they all jump in. The only disgusting thing is that they tend to smoke cigarettes whilst being in the pool.

The staff tries their best, although English is not always 100% at full speed amongst everyone (if you speak slowly they'll understand everything though) and as mentioned they are not really proactive in coming at you and offering you things (except for the platinum drinks from 5pm-7pm where they'll ask you what you would like next if you finish your glass); but that might also be a cultural thing.

Haven't done any sightseeing, but we might go to see the White Temple tomorrow. Heard it is exceptional.

Meridien Chiang Mai is next up!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Frab Pad Krapow is usually with Holy Basil, Garlic and Chili. If you got Beef and Onios they saw a Farang :-0
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by Frab1
Currently at the LM Chiang Rai for already 3 nights and will spend another 2 nights here with the Mrs on 3k points per night. The place is about 10min away from the airport and the cab (I insisted on the meter, don't go for offers such as "I go for 150 THB, its the same as the meter anyways" or for the 600 THB airport pickup unless you value someone to wait for you on arrival) was 80 THB and about 5 min waiting time at the airport for us.

Overall, I agree with the comments made ^^^:
- Got upgraded to the Grande Deluxe Room on top floor (they called it "Standard Suite" at check-in, but I knew what to expect from the discussion here) - great and very large room, everything is brand new, with a rainfall shower and a TV with a decent (although not great) selection of channels as well as a balcony outside
- From the room (apparently this is the Grande Deluxe Wing, where all Plats get put to) we are looking right at the three layers of inifinity pool, which are great (pool is not heated or cooled so it can get cold in winter or a bit hot as of now) to relax. They say the pool is open from 7am to 7pm, but nobody really minds if you go into it during other times.
- Breakfast is good (6am to 10h30am) and more than I expected - they got a station for eggs/omelettes and right next to it a station to create these Thai soups. In addition, they have frozen yoghurt, pasteries (not that much my favorite), salad (European style!), fried noodles/rice and some curry, Chinese hot buns, fresh fruits and a couple of fruit juices (not freshly made unfortunately). I always find some good stuff at breakfast and I was surprised a couple of times at the stuff they have given it is a category 2 hotel. They have decent coffee (Illy), but you gotta ask for it as staff is not proactive here.
- We went to the Italian restaurant (meals in between 300 THB for pizza/pasta up to 800 THB for tenderloin steak), which was good and quite cheap, even considering that we are spoilt for decent and rather cheap Italian food in Munich and to the Thai restaurants mentioned here outside the hotel to the right - went to LeLum and had the Pad Krapow (essentially beef & onions) for about 120 THB plus beers for 80 THB. It tastes like the Chinese restaurant and Asian shop food in Europe, but it is very tasty, so I can't really argue against. ^ Room service is about 300 THB for a burger and 100-150 THB for Thai food, with softdrinks at 60 THB and beers at about 80 THB.
- Plat benefits: We get the breakfast for free, which is really valuable, and 2 hours of free drinks at the bar next to the reception (from a limited choice, i.e. 3 wines, spirits, soft drinks, and either Singha or Chang beer) as well as a few small snacks, as well as the room upgrade. Late check-out was also possible. So overall a good treatment.

I have seen a guy that might be the GM, but haven't spoken to him and he did not reach out to me (only to the other Plat that is staying in the only suite of this resort) - besides me there are probably about 3 other SPG Plats here (briefly saw the list when I went for the drinks in the "Lounge").

Room occupancy is difficult to guess - during the day there is hardly anyone, but at night lots of Spanish speaking tour groups check in - so I'd go with the mentioned 30% as well. You only notice a few at breakfast (we went once at 6am and the other times at 9h30am) and the only times you notice them really is at the pool at 7pm when they all jump in. The only disgusting thing is that they tend to smoke cigarettes whilst being in the pool.

The staff tries their best, although English is not always 100% at full speed amongst everyone (if you speak slowly they'll understand everything though) and as mentioned they are not really proactive in coming at you and offering you things (except for the platinum drinks from 5pm-7pm where they'll ask you what you would like next if you finish your glass); but that might also be a cultural thing.

Haven't done any sightseeing, but we might go to see the White Temple tomorrow. Heard it is exceptional.

Meridien Chiang Mai is next up!
They have only "1" suite locate in end of grade deluxe wing floor 3.
Do you get platinum Box as complimentary in plat happy hour ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.