FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:55 pm
nongsom

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by Frab1
Currently at the LM Chiang Rai for already 3 nights and will spend another 2 nights here with the Mrs on 3k points per night. The place is about 10min away from the airport and the cab (I insisted on the meter, don't go for offers such as "I go for 150 THB, its the same as the meter anyways" or for the 600 THB airport pickup unless you value someone to wait for you on arrival) was 80 THB and about 5 min waiting time at the airport for us.

Overall, I agree with the comments made ^^^:
- Got upgraded to the Grande Deluxe Room on top floor (they called it "Standard Suite" at check-in, but I knew what to expect from the discussion here) - great and very large room, everything is brand new, with a rainfall shower and a TV with a decent (although not great) selection of channels as well as a balcony outside
- From the room (apparently this is the Grande Deluxe Wing, where all Plats get put to) we are looking right at the three layers of inifinity pool, which are great (pool is not heated or cooled so it can get cold in winter or a bit hot as of now) to relax. They say the pool is open from 7am to 7pm, but nobody really minds if you go into it during other times.
- Breakfast is good (6am to 10h30am) and more than I expected - they got a station for eggs/omelettes and right next to it a station to create these Thai soups. In addition, they have frozen yoghurt, pasteries (not that much my favorite), salad (European style!), fried noodles/rice and some curry, Chinese hot buns, fresh fruits and a couple of fruit juices (not freshly made unfortunately). I always find some good stuff at breakfast and I was surprised a couple of times at the stuff they have given it is a category 2 hotel. They have decent coffee (Illy), but you gotta ask for it as staff is not proactive here.
- We went to the Italian restaurant (meals in between 300 THB for pizza/pasta up to 800 THB for tenderloin steak), which was good and quite cheap, even considering that we are spoilt for decent and rather cheap Italian food in Munich and to the Thai restaurants mentioned here outside the hotel to the right - went to LeLum and had the Pad Krapow (essentially beef & onions) for about 120 THB plus beers for 80 THB. It tastes like the Chinese restaurant and Asian shop food in Europe, but it is very tasty, so I can't really argue against. ^ Room service is about 300 THB for a burger and 100-150 THB for Thai food, with softdrinks at 60 THB and beers at about 80 THB.
- Plat benefits: We get the breakfast for free, which is really valuable, and 2 hours of free drinks at the bar next to the reception (from a limited choice, i.e. 3 wines, spirits, soft drinks, and either Singha or Chang beer) as well as a few small snacks, as well as the room upgrade. Late check-out was also possible. So overall a good treatment.

I have seen a guy that might be the GM, but haven't spoken to him and he did not reach out to me (only to the other Plat that is staying in the only suite of this resort) - besides me there are probably about 3 other SPG Plats here (briefly saw the list when I went for the drinks in the "Lounge").

Room occupancy is difficult to guess - during the day there is hardly anyone, but at night lots of Spanish speaking tour groups check in - so I'd go with the mentioned 30% as well. You only notice a few at breakfast (we went once at 6am and the other times at 9h30am) and the only times you notice them really is at the pool at 7pm when they all jump in. The only disgusting thing is that they tend to smoke cigarettes whilst being in the pool.

The staff tries their best, although English is not always 100% at full speed amongst everyone (if you speak slowly they'll understand everything though) and as mentioned they are not really proactive in coming at you and offering you things (except for the platinum drinks from 5pm-7pm where they'll ask you what you would like next if you finish your glass); but that might also be a cultural thing.

Haven't done any sightseeing, but we might go to see the White Temple tomorrow. Heard it is exceptional.

Meridien Chiang Mai is next up!
They have only "1" suite locate in end of grade deluxe wing floor 3.
Do you get platinum Box as complimentary in plat happy hour ?