Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:36 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Metered taxis in cr ?? New ?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 31570324
I'm good with riding a bicyle, if the traffic is not to heavy it will be ok. I'm not a big fan of museums and temples, so to see one would be enough.
Both the Black House and White Temple are unique, IMO. You have never seen anything like them.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I read the buses to the border still leaving from town center and not from the new bus station. But may this information is out of date.
I'm good with riding a bicyle, if the traffic is not to heavy it will be ok. I'm not a big fan of museums and temples, so to see one would be enough.
First of all, like Dr. HFH said, there is nothing in this world quite like the White Temple. You will be constantly surprised by what you see as you walk through it. Secondly, the road from the LM to the White Temple would not be a pleasant one to ride a bicycle on. There is traffic, deep ditches, no smooth roadside, and large diesel belching trucks rumbling up and down the road, perhaps driven by young men on speed. It's not impossible and I had no problem driving a rental car around there, but I don't think I would try a bicycle.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:39 am

Ok, thank you. So could just try to rent a motorbike for that day. Even I ride a bicyle in vietnam and china before a couple of times on dirty roads.
Not sure if I could rent it legally. In my home country I'm allowed to ride cars and small motorbikes up to 50ccm but I think they will only have bigger motorbikes there like in vietnam where I rent one before and finally drove without license.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, thank you. So could just try to rent a motorbike for that day. Even I ride a bicyle in vietnam and china before a couple of times on dirty roads.
Not sure if I could rent it legally. In my home country I'm allowed to ride cars and small motorbikes up to 50ccm but I think they will only have bigger motorbikes there like in vietnam where I rent one before and finally drove without license.
No, their motorbikes are tiny too. What one might call a scooter. I've never been asked for a license when renting a scooter anywhere in SE Asia.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I've never been asked for a license when renting a scooter anywhere in SE Asia.
Right, but if you have a accident you have to pay by yourself.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, but if you have a accident you have to pay by yourself.
Same for a bicycle. And with a little scooter you aren't going very much faster than a bicycle.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used the tour guy with the van who is described in this very thread and has the small store across the street from the entrance to the LM. The price was very reasonable, the service was great, and in an outing leaving the hotel around 0830A and returning by 16:30 we had a wonderful time and saw pretty much all the sites discussed in this thread. This may be a far less stressful idea than a motorcycle, scooter, or bicycle.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: SPG platinum ; HHonorsGold ; Marriott Platinum,IHG Club
Update SPG platinum benefits@Le meridien Chiang Rai

Stay for 2 nights
Period : September 2013
Redeem points+BRG
Occupancy 90% [Mostly Spanish groups]

Pros :
-Overall atmosphere :Good
-Good locations and Peachful river view
-Easy access : airport to hotel by airport taxi : 200 THB per way
hotel to airport : Choose taxi-meter : rate by distance&time
+extra fee approx. 70 THB [optional]
approximately time 10 mins
-Complimentary free service Bus to Down town/Shopping mall@Central Plaza/Rai Mae Fah Luang
every 2 hours for sight-seeing.[10:00 am -10:00 pm]

Cons :
-Overall services : drop from the past stays [3 times] : BAD EXPERIENCES
-No bell boy for collect our laggages from service-taxi on the arrival date
-No any welcome drinks and towel@check-in process
-No welcome fruits in room
-Off Make a Green choice
-No turn down service
-Restaurant staff esp. Lastest Recipe : poor service mind and unhelpful.

SPG platinum benefits Sep 2013:
-500 starpoints or local gift : craft and
-Fully buffet breakfast for 2@Latest Recipe and
-1 drink per person per day [@Chill bar on river view or @Latitude 19 near lobby]
-Free wifi& late-checkout 4 pm
-Mostly upgrade to Grand Deluxe Room

Last edited by Chaiwattpin; Sep 23, 2013 at 9:47 am
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:35 am
cln

thank you for, i was just about to ask about recent stays here....
will return here for 4 nights on our honeymoon trip
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:44 am
cln

We had a great stay here. Hotel set up the room with flowers and sent a cake with congratulations for our honeymoon. Hotel was fully booked but still didn't feel crowded. Breakfast was excellent and complimentary for platinum. We very much enjoyed Christmas buffet here.
We had several spa treatments here and I can only recommend it. ( they also have plenty instant awards available with some great burning rates )

Another benefit was free drinks at latitude bar for 2 hours together with a snack set including sushi , soup , cake and salad...

We didn't want to leave and we will return for sure.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
We recently stayed there and were upgraded to a Grande Suite (well appreciated). It was large and well decorated with a nice river view.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...sId=1003263594
The downside was that it was freezing in that suite (the 2 technicians, that came to try to improve the temperature, could not get the job done). Extra blankets were sent and the efficient curtains kept the rooms very dark which helped us to have a very good night sleep.
No espresso machine in the suite.
No Club Lounge, but the Creative Hour snacks are much better than at the LMBKK.
I was not impressed by the buffets (dinner & breakfast) but they were decent enough. My recollection from my previous stay (a few weeks after the property opened) was a much richer buffet for the breakfast (time might have changed and bettered my memories or I may be more picky than I was before).
The cheeses were thinly sliced (usually a cost saving sign) unlike at most Starwood properties in Thailand.
A new Thai Chef had just arrived (the #2 in the kitchen) to work with the Executive Italian Chef; some might recognize him from LMBKK.

Last edited by UASPG; Dec 31, 2013 at 3:11 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UASPG
We recently stayed there and were upgraded to a Grande Suite (well appreciated). It was large and well decorated with a nice river view.
The downside was that it was freezing in that suite (the 2 technicians, that came to try to improve the temperature, could not get the job done). Extra blankets were sent and the efficient curtains kept the rooms very dark which helped us to have a very good night sleep.
I was not impressed by the buffets (dinner & breakfast) but they were decent enough. My recollection from my previous stay (a few weeks after the property opened) was a much richer buffet for the breakfast (time might have changed and bettered my memories or I may be more picky than I was before).
The cheeses were thinly sliced (usually a cost saving sign) unlike at most Starwood properties in Thailand.
A new Thai Chef had just arrived (the #2 in the kitchen) to work with the Executive Italian Chef; some might recognize him from LMBKK.
finally, they did upgrade plat member to the highest room category, grand suite.

^^^
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum. Hilton Gold. IHG PA. Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cln

Another benefit was free drinks at latitude bar for 2 hours together with a snack set including sushi , soup , cake and salad...
To visit again in January, This is the Platinum Benefit?
If so, was too good

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 22, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum. Hilton Gold. IHG PA. Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by UASPG
Amazing. Because ... there are only one Grand Suite

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.