Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I also had a one night stay here this past Monday as a prelude to a hop around some northern provinces I'd yet to visit.

Unlike the good Dr.'s experience the staff at check in seemed rather on the ball.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Some additional management info. The previous GM was Justin Malcolm, who was appointed GM of Aloft Sukhumvit 11 last month (January, 2013). Announcement.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Feb 25, 2013 at 8:25 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Some additional management info.
Shouldn't this be on the Aloft BKK thread
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by mario33
Shouldn't this be on the Aloft BKK thread
It is in reference to the lack of a GM at the property and about the previous GM. So, while this information is relevant in that thread, it also has relevance in this thread.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by yosithezet
It is in reference to the lack of a GM at the property and about the previous GM. So, while this information is relevant in that thread, it also has relevance in this thread.
I thought Justin had been at the aloft longer than that. He was semi-visible in CR, but has anyone seen him at the aloft?

Last edited by remymartin; Feb 25, 2013 at 8:57 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
I thought Justin had been at the aloft longer than that. He was semi-visible in CR, but has anyone seen him at the aloft?
This is a question for the Aloft thread.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:42 pm

Would this place be worth to stay three nights with points? Want do to some backpacking in northern Laos and thinking about leaving bangkok just one night after arrival from europe and stay in Chiang Rai for three night before continue to Laos. This would give me two full days in Chiang Rai.
Have about 12000 points, so could burn them all or use points & cash (2000+$35/night). Market rate would be $220/night at my dates, so maybe not a bad deal for using points+cash here.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 31570324
Would this place be worth to stay three nights with points? Want do to some backpacking in northern Laos and thinking about leaving bangkok just one night after arrival from europe and stay in Chiang Rai for three night before continue to Laos. This would give me two full days in Chiang Rai.
Have about 12000 points, so could burn them all or use points & cash (2000+$35/night). Market rate would be $220/night at my dates, so maybe not a bad deal for using points+cash here.
Points and cash are great value here.

One question- three nights in Chiang Rai may feel like a lot and depending on how often you visit Bangkok- you may want to adjust to 2 days Bangkok? I do think this hotel is worth staying at.

Heading into Laos- just one side tip- do not take the "speedboat" down the river- extremely noisy, very uncomfortable, and they do tend to flip over on a regular basis.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 2:29 am

Was in Bangkok two times, but dislike the city. So arriving there around midnight and depart in the evening to Chiang Rai would be ok for me.
If I just stay two nights in Chiang Rai I would arrive there in the evening, have one full day to spend and take the bus to Laos Border in the next morning. Would this really be enough?
Will not take any long boat trip, heading to Luang Namtha which is about 4 hours by bus from the border.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was in Bangkok two times, but dislike the city. So arriving there around midnight and depart in the evening to Chiang Rai would be ok for me.
If I just stay two nights in Chiang Rai I would arrive there in the evening, have one full day to spend and take the bus to Laos Border in the next morning. Would this really be enough?
Will not take any long boat trip, heading to Luang Namtha which is about 4 hours by bus from the border.
If you don't like Bangkok- OK- Chiang Rai the city itself is nothing special however the area surrounding it is very nice (the so called "Golden Triangle"). Arrange a tour or DIY as you prefer- I thought the brand new "Hall of Opium" was quite interesting- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/2684089.stm and a real take on explaining why this even started. It is sponsored by the King of Thailand and is very well thought out.

At the hotel LM itself which is about 4 km from town- relaxing by the swimming pool is nice and there are a few restaurants in walking distance. The centre itself of Chiang Rai you will be fine with after one visit for dinner perhaps and a quick walk around the night market.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:09 am

So arriving in the evening, just eat dinner in the near of the hotel, next day do some bicycle tour by myself, see something of the countryside and maybe Wat Rong Khun, and continue to the border the next morning. I think I will see a lot of simular landscape in Laos, so no need to spend to much time in Chiang Rai. Thank you.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:29 pm

Be sure to see Baan Dam, Black House.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... and the White Temple, Wat Rong Khun. Both are well worth your time.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
So arriving in the evening, just eat dinner in the near of the hotel, next day do some bicycle tour by myself, see something of the countryside and maybe Wat Rong Khun, and continue to the border the next morning. I think I will see a lot of simular landscape in Laos, so no need to spend to much time in Chiang Rai. Thank you.
You'll want to get a motorbike to get down to Wat Rong Khun... it's a long way on a bicycle.

I believe the buses to Chiang Kong, the border to Huay Xai, Laos, are running from the new bus station which is almost as far as the White Temple. You're best bet is to have LM call for a meter taxi.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:06 pm

I read the buses to the border still leaving from town center and not from the new bus station. But may this information is out of date.
I'm good with riding a bicyle, if the traffic is not to heavy it will be ok. I'm not a big fan of museums and temples, so to see one would be enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.