Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:31 pm

For those that want to see pictures - here are links to Mrs. Jaejaez's (Korean) blog:

Lobby + Library + Bar

http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220395084169

Resort grounds + sunset

http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220393874488

Pool + river

http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220392884336

Grand Deluxe Room

http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220388027916

The Italian Restaurant – Favola

http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220384281850

Breakfast

http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220382644385

Gym + Spa

http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220377717446
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Frab1
Haven't done any sightseeing, but we might go to see the White Temple tomorrow. Heard it is exceptional.
Make the effort to go, it is worth it. Unusual, beautiful and yet macabre.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, LH / *A Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Frab Pad Krapow is usually with Holy Basil, Garlic and Chili. If you got Beef and Onios they saw a Farang :-0
Sorry, my description was probably misleading. The Pad Krapow had large strings/ leaves of Basil, Garlic and some Chili (here they probably saw the Farang and made it less spicy :-)). However, the thing that stays mostly in my mind is the beef and onions, quite comparable to some US or European food. But really tasty still! I can really recommend the restaurants down the road. Unfortunately, since it is outdoors and by the river there are lots of large flies that scared the Mrs. so we did not go back since.

Originally Posted by nongsom
They have only "1" suite locate in end of grade deluxe wing floor 3.
Do you get platinum Box as complimentary in plat happy hour ?
According to the staff the suite is at the end of the wing on floor 4 - another Platinum member living in there (see him regularly at the Platinum drinks from 5pm to 7pm), but I don't know if he managed to by upgrade or by buying it. The box with some small fingerfood is complimentary, but it's rather a nice gesture as the you'll usually get 2 small sushi, 2 spring rolls and 2 pieces of cake or something similar like that.

By now, I have also tried the restaurant for food à la carte, the lunch buffet and room service. All is cheap (e.g. lunch buffet for 270 THB), quality wise it is tasty, but nothing exceptional (Italian food probably being the best and quite authentic!). They used to have the platinum drinks from 5pm to 7pm also by the pool last year, but according to staff the drinks are only given away at the bar next to the reception now.

I've seen the GM a couple of times during the day over the past 3 days - unfortunately, he did not make much of an effort to stop by and say hi. Would not bother me too much if he didn't stop by at the other plat. guests' tables. Maybe they are recurring or long-term guests. Main takeaway is still that you'll see management present at this resort here and there.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Make the effort to go, it is worth it. Unusual, beautiful and yet macabre.
We went back and forth by calling a taxi through the hotel concierge. Paid 600 THB for the guy to bring us there, wait for us, take us back and then bring us to the hotel and then bring us to the bus station afterwards. Insisting on meter is probably a bit cheaper, but oh well I did not feel like arguing... consider it a tip.

We finished our stay on a disappointing note: The concierge booked us on the wrong date for the bus to Chiang Mai and we only found out in front of the bus, which was fully booked unfortunately. I guess, I put too much trust on the staff and should have checked the tickets thoroughly up front as well.

Called the concierge from the bus station and he directly admitted a mistake and came to the bus station to pay for new tickets for the next bus 2 hours later. He apologized a million times and there was no financial harm since he paid for the new tickets - but we lost 2 hours waiting at the not exactly paradise-like bus station and missed the lounge and pool times at the LM Chiang Mai, which could have made up for a nice welcome experience.

Overall it is a very nice property with amazing value and good platinum treatment. Can only recommend. The only downside of this property is the motivated, but maybe a bit inexperienced staff, also when it comes to English - no mistake due to miscommunication happened, but I had to repeat everything a couple of times and especially when we were booked on the wrong bus the last thing you want to hear on the phone when you are annoyed is a "sorry, can you repeat?" for a couple of times. However, this is the only drawback where you feel why it is a Cat2 property - otherwise, it is great!

By the way... if you are in need for some Western food - order the burger! For 320 THB it was a great one. Probably the best one I ever had in Asia (including Japan and China).
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:08 pm

Called the concierge from the bus station and he directly admitted a mistake and came to the bus station to pay for new tickets for the next bus 2 hours later.
I do hope that he didn't have to pay for this from his own money?!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Koby
I do hope that he didn't have to pay for this from his own money?!
I can't tell you whether he did, but I hope they have a way to figure this out at hotel level. After all it was only two tickets for 560 THB in total, so I think the hotel can book this as small cost of error.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:12 am

I can't tell you whether he did, but I hope they have a way to figure this out at hotel level. After all it was only two tickets for 560 THB in total, so I think the hotel can book this as small cost of error.
A small cost for the hotel, but probably a sizeable chunk of a local monthly wage...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
We went back and forth by calling a taxi through the hotel concierge. Paid 600 THB for the guy to bring us there, wait for us, take us back and then bring us to the hotel and then bring us to the bus station afterwards. Insisting on meter is probably a bit cheaper, but oh well I did not feel like arguing... consider it a tip.
Glad you made it. Hope you got to see the unusual indoor mural showing the path to enlightenment starting with the contemporary physical world. Complete with Michael Jackson, Mickey Mouse, Hello Kitty and the cast of the Matrix. It was closed after the last earthquake, don't know if it has reopened yet.

I agree with your comments on the hotel. But for Chiang Rai, this is a very good choice. Communication challenges would probably just increase as you move down the hotel rakings.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:58 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by uanj
Glad you made it. Hope you got to see the unusual indoor mural showing the path to enlightenment starting with the contemporary physical world. Complete with Michael Jackson, Mickey Mouse, Hello Kitty and the cast of the Matrix. It was closed after the last earthquake, don't know if it has reopened yet.

I agree with your comments on the hotel. But for Chiang Rai, this is a very good choice. Communication challenges would probably just increase as you move down the hotel rakings.
It was open as of January, though it has been sadly damaged.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:03 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Spent 4 nights here on C&P. Started out on an interesting note -- had King bedded room reserved, but were put in a Twin room. I know that room type isn't guaranteed on points and C&P reservations, but who'd expect to be caught by this rule in a sleepy, backwater-ish location? We were moved to a King bedded Grande Deluxe room on the second day, and really, the standard rooms aren't so bad. If it had been the right bed type, we probably wouldn't even have gone through the hassle of moving.

The resort is very relaxing, and we quite enjoyed the stay. The Plat happy hour is decent (choice of red/white/sparkling wine, beers, some mixed drinks, plus some snacks brought to the table). What a shame that they no longer offer it at the riverside bar! Breakfast in line with other LMs (which is to say, a little weak by Asian standards).

The one letdown was the "hotel car" we took to the White Temple and waterfall. I know better than to use the hotel concierge for tour bookings in SE Asia (they're often contracted out to a local agency), but my SO wanted to surprise me for my birthday. She negotiated (better: foolishly agreed to) a THB1500 rate. The car picked us up at 11.15, and delivered us to the White Temple just in time for their lunch closure (12-1 for the temple, 12-1.20 for the museum). We waited around and then toured the temple and museum. When we got back to the car at 2.30, the driver told us that the waterfall closes at 3, and there was no point in going there. This turned out to be a lie, but even if it hadn't been -- wouldn't you expect the "concierge" to be aware of opening hours & perhaps take us to attractions that are open?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I just completed a one night stay here as part of my honeymoon. The hotel is set in the most magnificent grounds and truly peaceful. My SNA award didn't clear, but I was upgraded to a River view apparently. I say "apparently" because I could only see the grounds (which are lovely) but not the river.

I had a car pick me up from the airport for just a few dollars. The feel of the hotel is all very open. When you arrive there no doors to walk through. I don't know how they cope when the weather turns nasty?

I was given a warm welcome by the front desk and the concierge was also very helpful in providing ideas of things to do. They were able to book local taxis and the rates were all arranged beforehand. The hotel also got us a driver to take us to Chiang Mai (about four hours away, at least) and the various sites around there such as Tiger Kingdom.

I thought the breakfast was superb, however I am easily impressed having made do with American offerings for years. The breakfast buffet had everything from meats and cheeses to soups and salads. There was plenty of choice and there were also tables outside too.

There really isn't too much to do in Chiang Rai... And I picked this hotel solely because I saw it come up when searching properties in Thailand. We stayed here on the second day of the trip so I suppose it was a nice way to ease ourselves into everything. The hotel is a lovely resort no matter what - and for 3,000 points a night (or 2,000 + $35) with c&p, you can't go wrong.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
just checked-in today for a 3-night stay. my 7th stay here. obviously the hotel was fully packed this time. quite disappointed with the level of service overall.

at check-in, no welcome drink, no mentioned about platinum benefits at all. the agent who checked me in just handed me key cards and told me to wait for room to be ready (it was fine because i arrived the hotel around 11 am). actually it's not a big deal for me, just never experienced this level of service before on my previous stays.

in my room, no welcome letter, no welcome amenity (like it used to have). deluxe river view room (with no real river view) was fine but in need of some refurbishment, especially the bathroom. comfortable bed as expected.

the evening drinks offered for platinum member were also reduced and only available at latitude 19. food offering was nothing to talk about. anyway service still very good here, nice and friendly staffs.

so, 3 more days to come, will try to update my comment again after the stay.

p.s. sorry for my poor english.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Jan 1, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
j
the evening drinks offered for platinum member were also reduced and only available at latitude 19. food offering was nothing to talk about. anyway service still very good here, nice and friendly staffs.

I stayed there October 2016 and there are no Platinum drinks at all now. Instead, platinum guests get a bunch of discount vouchers that can be used during happy hour to get discounted drinks.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I stayed there October 2016 and there are no Platinum drinks at all now. Instead, platinum guests get a bunch of discount vouchers that can be used during happy hour to get discounted drinks.
No. What. Really? I was there in March this year for the second time and they had the two hours of drinks from a limited menu plus snacks in the bar.

This has finished?

LM Chiang Rai was a favourite of mine because of the Platinum treatment (both times I got a suite upgrade + 500 points + breakfast + the booze and food).

No reason to stay there if they've stopped with the special Thai fake wine in the evening.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I was there a few weeks ago. Lovely hotel. (I'm working on a TR for it.) IIRC, PLT guests get coupons for 50% off drinks during happy hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.