Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2021, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04
This hotel looks to be in the back in almost a residential area with not much else happening around it - which is fine but will there be taxis available at the hotel or even just walking to the street? Is there tuk tuks in Chiang Rai and easily accessible from the hotel. It sounds like Chiang Rai central is not too far so would look to be heading out several of the evenings and was hoping for easy / reasonable pricing to get to / fro? Would I be correct on my assumptions?
I'm not 100% sure of its availability during stupid Covid times, but the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to the night market, CentralPlaza Chiang Rai (shopping mall), and maybe another location or two. Otherwise they can call you a taxi or you can get a Grab for what I consider to be extremely reasonable prices.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
There's a decent local food resto, Lab Sanaam Keela, about .5km to the south.

I'm sure they have an English menu, but I can't remember.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
We just had a 2 night stay here, after an absence of a year. I am pleased to say that the road construction on the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai route is completed, and we made the car trip in 2 1/2 hours. This was a Thai holiday weekend, and several Thai families had booked stays. There are few foreign tourists in northern Thailand, as far as I could see. As an example, the White Temple, a major tourist attraction, is closed. We booked the basic room, and as Marriott Gold, was upgraded from Garden View to River View. Cost was 4598 THB total for 2 nights w b/f. Buffet b/f was excellent. We had dinner at their Favola Restaurant. One Saturday a month they offer a seafood buffet for 1590 THB net pp. Social distancing and no alcohol served. 😊
pablos likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
As there hasn't been any recent reviews I'll just do a quick update as I popped in for the weekend.

Booked the base room and was upgraded to the highest category available a few days in advance. For low season the hotel seems to be doing OK, it's not a ghost town by any means but nice and quiet enough in terms of occupancy. No signs of covid break left. All facilities be open and seem well maintained. Same goes for the room, no signs of any visible wear&tear and is spotless.

There are a few local food options within walking distance but if you want to venture out of the hotel without a car getting a Grab car to the center for about 80 THB (or wherever else you want to go) is probably your best option.
Hawwk likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AnttiV
As there hasn't been any recent reviews I'll just do a quick update as I popped in for the weekend.

Booked the base room and was upgraded to the highest category available a few days in advance. For low season the hotel seems to be doing OK, it's not a ghost town by any means but nice and quiet enough in terms of occupancy. No signs of covid break left. All facilities be open and seem well maintained. Same goes for the room, no signs of any visible wear&tear and is spotless.

There are a few local food options within walking distance but if you want to venture out of the hotel without a car getting a Grab car to the center for about 80 THB (or wherever else you want to go) is probably your best option.
Aside from the upgrade, any other elite benefits? Breakfast in restaurant, right? And no lounge/happy hour I guess.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Aside from the upgrade, any other elite benefits? Breakfast in restaurant, right? And no lounge/happy hour I guess.
There is no lounge. 😊
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
In the middle of a second 2-night stay. We also spend 4 nights downtown.

Got upgraded again to King Pool view in Deluxe Wing. Very spacious room. In-room coffee is just instant, but teas are nice local ones.
In the room folder we discovered a coupon for a free coffee at hotel bar, and also free admission to culture center (8km away though).

Pool is cool but by mid-afternoon okay for swimming. Decent size, long enough for laps. Gym is a bit small but has about 6 machines, dumbbells plus 4 cardio.

Happy hour near pool 5:30-6:30, then at main bar 8:30-9:30. We had one Italian dinner at Favola and it was very good.

There are a couple yoga classes each week, and art class, and then some restaurant options like afternoon tea, picnic by river, marshmallows at night, etc.

Friendly staff everywhere. Reception guy set us up with a driver to go around (300THB/hr). We did Blue, Black, White, Big Buddha, and a waterfall, all in 6 hours. We wanted to use him again but he was busy, so he hooked us up with his friend, who took 4 of us on a N/NW/NE circuit (via Golden triangle). That guy was great too. Private car is the way to go for a couple or foursome.

There is a famous Thai restaurant (Lu Lam) about 500m walk from hotel (go right). There are a few more too (Yunnan is one).

The hotel has an excellent breakfast buffet with numerous Thai dishes that rotate. Makes being platinum worthwhile.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
In the middle of a second 2-night stay. We also spend 4 nights downtown.

Got upgraded again to King Pool view in Deluxe Wing. Very spacious room. In-room coffee is just instant, but teas are nice local ones.
In the room folder we discovered a coupon for a free coffee at hotel bar, and also free admission to culture center (8km away though).

Pool is cool but by mid-afternoon okay for swimming. Decent size, long enough for laps. Gym is a bit small but has about 6 machines, dumbbells plus 4 cardio.

Happy hour near pool 5:30-6:30, then at main bar 8:30-9:30. We had one Italian dinner at Favola and it was very good.

There are a couple yoga classes each week, and art class, and then some restaurant options like afternoon tea, picnic by river, marshmallows at night, etc.

Friendly staff everywhere. Reception guy set us up with a driver to go around (300THB/hr). We did Blue, Black, White, Big Buddha, and a waterfall, all in 6 hours. We wanted to use him again but he was busy, so he hooked us up with his friend, who took 4 of us on a N/NW/NE circuit (via Golden triangle). That guy was great too. Private car is the way to go for a couple or foursome.

There is a famous Thai restaurant (Lu Lam) about 500m walk from hotel (go right). There are a few more too (Yunnan is one).

The hotel has an excellent breakfast buffet with numerous Thai dishes that rotate. Makes being platinum worthwhile.
Like button isn't working, so just a quick note to say thanks for this post. Chiang Rai is on my list for a visit soon.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Like button isn't working, so just a quick note to say thanks for this post. Chiang Rai is on my list for a visit soon.
Ditto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.