Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fanoftravel
The Anantara Golden Triangle is of a similar quality level.
Isnt this the former Le Meridien Baan Boran ?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:14 am
Suspended

REVIEW

This has got to be one of the most overated property on this forum, second only to the SGS. Dont get me wrong, its pleasant enough a resort but there is nothing spectacular about this resort to deserve all the praises here (except perhaps the breakfast).

Location : Its just 10 mins from town, and you will pass through major schools &, government buildings before reaching the riverside resort. Its not quite as secluded as I had thought , but neither is it in town. Its perhaps a good compromise; its far away enough from town to be away from the noise & pollution, but at the same time you can get into town in a mere 10 min & there are 4 local restaurants plus a couple of convenience stores nearby (within walking distance).

Layout : The cluster of buildings is almost a reflected L-shape, with a huge lake and garden in the middle. Location of elevators are not the most ideal, while you can do a short-cut from the lobby to the residential blocks through the courtyard gardens walkway there is no elevator nearby to go up to the rooms.

Setting & View : While the garden is pleasant, the view or setting seems quite ordinary for such semi-rural location in SE Asia ( I am quite sure Aung San Suu Kyi would have the privilege of similar if not better view in Burma during her years of house arrest). If you have not lived in SE Asia before perhaps you might be impressed, but for long-time residents here its quite ordinary.

Rooms : This is the biggest disappointment. Apart from the exceptionally huge & comfortable balcony which accomodates both a day-bed and 2 outdoor chairs plus table, the interior spaces are about as bad as it can get.

While the Grand Deluxe is huge, it feels empty, dull & sterile. I am not sure what the interior designer had in mind; it certainly didnt feel 'thai', neither is it 'art-deco', nor 'modern' nor 'hip'. The use of terrazo flooring throughout also gave the room a 'cheap' feel. While the 4th floor appears to have extra ceiling height, the design is not adjusted to accomodate the additional height leaving huge empty blank spaces and it looked very awkward. The bathroom is even more sterile; apart from the patch of green mosaic tiles around the shower stall, all the other areas are just bare painted walls and it looks more like an older boarding school than an upscale resort.

Surprisingly, the Deluxe rooms on the 4th floor feels more cosy. The laminated-timber flooring in the living area gave the room some warmth, while the smaller bathroom didnt have the 'instituitional' feel of the GD. However, the Deluxe room does not have a walk-in wardrobe, the sitting area consists only of a chaise-chair (without the single seater leather chair found in the GD), the shower stall has older styled shower head (no overhead rain shower nor handheld shower found in GD) and the daybed in the balcony can only accomodate1 person (compared to the long daybed in the GD which could fit 2 facing each other)

Amenities : No toothbrush or shaving set in the bathroom, which is unusual for a Le Meridien in SE Asia. Only 1 set of shampoo & shower gel (most LM in the region provide 2 sets in their premium rooms, one for shower stall and one for bathtub), 2 bottles of water in the room each day which housekeeping seems not to replenish during turndown.

Food & Beverage : the breakfast experience here is probably the only aspect of my stay which would draw me back to the resort. The spread is good (with plenty of asian dishes), infact considering the smaller number of rooms here I would say the spread is exceptional. Crossaints are fresh from the oven but the timing is irregular, and coffee are individually brewed (not many hotel do that in their main restaurants). Outdoor seating next to the lake is serene (with sound of chirping birds & water features in the background) which completes the perfect setting.

Other meals at both restaurants are acceptable, nothing exceptional. If you order from their thai menu; do not expect 'american' sized portions , its closer to 'french' portions.

Recreational Facility : There is a 24hr gym (which does not have any attendent), a spa, an unheated pool (which no guest attempt to use until late afternoons during winter), a small kids-club & a table-tennis table (in the garden). No other facility despite the huge resort grounds. Daily activities are not well publicised, didnt know it existed until I visited the gym where the schedule is displayed.

Transport : No tuk-tuk outside the resort, so you have to either use their hotel car or private car (taxi)arranged by them. They do however provide 4-5 daily shuttles to town and 2 daily shuttle (and free admission) to the Mae Fah Luang Art & Cultural Park http://www.maefahluang.org/mfl_art_cultural_park.php which is quite pleasant & ideal for a 1-1.5 hr stroll if you feel bored in the resort.

Service : while senior management is definitely helpful & friendly , overall service is very inconsistent ranging from very polite & highly attentive to condescending & downright rude. Resort is very much understaffed, there were times the FD or Conceirge Desk were unattended eventhough its high season & gym is unattended at any time.

Summary : Its a pleasant resort no doubt but nothing exceptional. As predicted on this forum a couple of years back, due to the lack of facilities the main clientele would end up to be tour groups. However the tour groups are not americans (coming for 'cooking-classes' which I predicted) but predominantly mainland chinese. If I were based in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, I would not hestitate to return for a weekend break with easy access from these cities. However since I dont live in these cities, the hassle (and costs) of getting there will be a major deterrent for making a return trip since there is nothing exceptional about the resort (apart from the breakfast experience).

Last edited by mario33; Feb 6, 2011 at 2:35 am
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: SQ TPP
Thanks for the review, although it is in stark contrast to my experience and that of many other reviewers. Always good to hear both sides.

If you stayed recently, I imagine the Chinese groups are a factor of Chinese New Year rather than this hotel in particular. Many many Chinese all over Thailand (especially in Bangkok this year it seems) during their festive season.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mario33
REVIEW

This has got to be one of the most overated property on this forum, second only to the SGS. Dont get me wrong, its pleasant enough a resort but there is nothing spectacular about this resort to deserve all the praises here (except perhaps the breakfast).
Oh, I think there are plenty of other threads that might win that category. I think this hotel deserves high praise when you consider the price. I compared this hotel in my mind with Dhara Devi. Which is crazy since nothing compares with Dhara Devi, but still they have some vague similarities. And when you consider that Dhara Devi cost 7-10 times as much, then you don't mind the small issues that you noted in your review.

Amenities : No toothbrush or shaving set in the bathroom, which is unusual for a Le Meridien in SE Asia. Only 1 set of shampoo & shower gel (most LM in the region provide 2 sets in their premium rooms, one for shower stall and one for bathtub), 2 bottles of water in the room each day which housekeeping seems not to replenish during turndown.
This does not match my recent experience.

Recreational Facility : There is a 24hr gym (which does not have any attendent), a spa, an unheated pool (which no guest attempt to use until late afternoons during winter),
The gym does have an attendant. Maybe he was out running an errand or something while you were there? And I used the pool. It is cold this time of year, but you adjust quickly, especially if you are a snow bird.

Transport : No tuk-tuk outside the resort, so you have to either use their hotel car or private car (taxi)arranged by them.
There was a huge row of tuk-tuks there when a large group of European tourists arrived who apparently wanted them. I hate tuk-tuks myself. As I noted I rented a car from Avis to explore the Golden Triangle area. I highly recommend having a car at this property. It makes everything else easy. I paid about 1250 bhat per day for the car, plus gas.

Service : while senior management is definitely helpful & friendly , overall service is very inconsistent ranging from very polite & highly attentive to condescending & downright rude. Resort is very much understaffed, there were times the FD or Conceirge Desk were unattended even though its high season & gym is unattended at any time.
My recent experience is quite different. Everyone was super nice, almost to a Four Seasons level. The bartender and pastry chef really stood out as two of the most professional examples I've ever seen in Thailand.

Summary : Its a pleasant resort no doubt but nothing exceptional. As predicted on this forum a couple of years back, due to the lack of facilities the main clientele would end up to be tour groups. However the tour groups are not americans (coming for 'cooking-classes' which I predicted) but predominantly mainland chinese.
As noted above, you may have been hit by Chinese New Year. There were no Chinese present during my stay. Only Thai, European, Japanese and a few Americans.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
I compared this hotel in my mind with Dhara Devi.
Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai :I thought the MO in Chiang Mai is often compared with the Regent (now Four Seasons) Chiang Mai. For it to be compared with the LM Chiang Rai (where even the premium rooms come with terrazo flooring), I am speechless ! And the MO in Chiang Mai is not 7-10 times the rate at LM Chiang Rai; if you take the cheapest 'suite' at MO Chiang Mai (say BHT15,000+++) and compare with the Grand Deluxe 'room' at LM Chiang Mai (say BHT6,000+++), its more like 2-3 times.

Amenities : stayed in 2 different rooms & both has only 1 set of shampoo + shower gel, and they were never replenished during turndown. Drinking water was strictly 2 bottles each day, except by special requests.

Tuk-tuk : There was no sign of any tuk-tuk outside the resort during my 5 days there. If they were there during your stay, it must have been arranged by the resort on special request by a specific group of guests.

Gym : Never seen any attendant in the gym even when the place was packed. Access is by use of room key card & management confirmed there is no full-time attendant.

Groups : I accept the chinese tour groups presence is probably seasonal. However it was just an observation & not a complaint. Actually its a good thing with these tour groups, by 9am they are all out sightseeing and they wont be back till 9pm, the resort is so quiet & peaceful (oh yes, another plus point). Furthermore, they dont blow smoke at your face like the euros in Phuket.

Last edited by mario33; Feb 6, 2011 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai :I thought the MO in Chiang Mai is often compared with the Regent (now Four Seasons) Chiang Mai. For it to be compared with the LM Chiang Rai (where even the premium rooms come with terrazo flooring), I am speechless ! And the MO in Chiang Mai is not 7-10 times the rate at LM Chiang Rai; if you take the cheapest 'suite' at MO Chiang Mai (say BHT15,000+++) and compare with the Grand Deluxe 'room' at LM Chiang Mai (say BHT6,000+++), its more like 2-3 times.
You may have noticed that I did write that to compare the two is crazy. And I paid 2000 baht per night for my Grand Deluxe room at this hotel, upgraded thanks of course to Starwood Platinum. And I am pretty sure I paid over 15,000 on my last two stays at Dhara Devi, but it's been a while and my memory may be faulty.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
Agreed, the Chinese do tend to be out of the hotel for the day, and in my experience for dinner as well. Breakfast can be a bit chaotic though, but no more than any festive time or national holiday in a hotel.

I have a very different experience regarding smokers and find that I am much more likely to be in a smokey environment when there is a large group of Chinese. Doesn't bother me, but I certainly see more smokers in Chinese groups than with Europeans. The amount of smoke in my face changes proportionally.

On another note, and not particularly regarding your post although you reminded me of it. Is the term 'euros' vaguely derogatory, similar to 'Japs' or '.....'? As I say, not about your post, but just a general question.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:40 am
Suspended

By 9-10 each morning, the tour groups are all done with their breakfasts & you have the entire restaurant virtually to yourselves. The breakfast experience here is definitely the highlight of my stay, the food & the atmosphere is just perfect.

While I agree the mainland chinese are perhaps the biggest group of smokers anywhere, the groups at the LM Chiang Rai are quite considerate. I have only once seen one of them smoke, and he stood by the edge of the outdoor dining area next to the garden to make sure he wasnt annoying anyone. Either they have been forewarned about the 'new' smoking laws (and the associated penalties) in Thailand , or that they belonged to a new breed of better educated travellers, I dont know. But its definitely a refreshing change for me, having to regularly deal with 'some' very arrogant euros who blatantly violate non-smoking zones in Indonesia.

As to whether the term Euro is derogatary, I thought it sounds quite nice. I dont think its any more derogatary than refering to someone as a Brit or an Aussie .....

Last edited by mario33; Feb 7, 2011 at 3:45 am
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:14 am
Suspended

As to whether the term Euro is derogatary, I thought it sounds quite nice.
"Euro" is fine. I wouldn't call it nice or not nice. It just is what it is.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
this property will be a cat 2 from next week....this means that my 3 day stay here will only set me back a total of 10k points....

from all the great reviews i have read here (baring mario33's review which i take with a grain of salt) i am really looking forward to staying here....
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:50 am
Suspended

Category 2

Originally Posted by stimpy
And I paid 2000 baht per night for my Grand Deluxe room at this hotel
Which explains why the resort is dropping one category to Cat 2 in 2011

The only property in Thailand dropping in category & the 'resort' with the lowest redemption category in Thailand (and the whole of SE Asia).

No, its not unexpected going by the bulk of the guests there being tour groups; and as mentioned before the cost-saving measures (staffing & amenities) is very obvious if you regularly stay in resorts in the region.

While the resort has tremendous potential, its unlikely the owner will invest in a complete overhaul of the rooms & facilities. And Cat 2 it will remain .....
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the 'resort' with the lowest redemption category in Thailand (and the whole of SE Asia).
that is incorrect....

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=121

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...?propertyID=20

both these resorts are cat 1....
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
discount tours around Chiang Rai

Exit the LM CR hotel gate,turn left and walk to the end of the block.On the right is a small grocery store.

At the store, ask for Mr. Tui. He speaks pretty good English.

We had him give us a private tour of Golden Triangle,Burma border,hilltribe/longneck villages etc. in his DELUXE tour van. Bring your guidebook.

The savings were significant and it was much better than being crowded up
with other unknowns.

He threw in an airport transfer for free a couple of days later.

Dicker hard and firm it up, additional side trips at the time of travel jumps up your agreed to rate as you might guess.

Perfect for a more independent/freelance traveler.....
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
Dicker hard and firm it up
What does this mean?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Negotiate the best rate and firm it up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.