Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Thanks! Your great trip-report about this property is a large part of what inspired us to make the trip to Chiang Rai (from Chiang Mai) to stay at this property and check out the area. The hotel looks beautiful and the complimentary breakfast looked fantastic!

It appears that the Grand Deluxe rooms are available to be booked for our dates...so we are hopeful. The standard rooms certainly don't look too shabby though!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Oooh. We could have our first report on the Grand Deluxe rooms!!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai

Originally Posted by karenkay
yes, we did. the staff at the lounge in chiang mai set it up for us (and the front desk staff in chiang rai changed our return date). i can't remember the cost, but it wasn't a lot of money...i think 250 baht, about eight bucks.

it's a true VIP bus, air conditioned and they give you a bottle of water and a little snack, and have thai/bollywood movies playing for your entertainment. i'd do it again that way in a minute.
How long is the trip and is it all highway? Anything interesting to see along the way?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by gleff
Good question, I don't think they are finished or at least they weren't projected to have been finished yet, so I doubt anyone has stayed in them.

If you are a Platinum and they're finished you'll no doubt receive an upgrade into them.

But if they aren't finished you'll still receive a lovely room. I was genuinely nervous/displeased when I learned before my stay that these rooms weren't ready. I thought it might color my entire stay, and questioned whether I really wanted 5 nights there without an upgrade to a larger room.

Well the Grand Deluxe rooms weren't ready, but I had a lovely room on the top floor in the main building looking straight out over the pool area towards the river. It was large, stylish, and comfortable. And I was utterly pleased.

And as a Platinum you receive complimentary breakfast. It's my favorite breakfast in all of Starwood -- the service is outstanding, the coffee was very good, the buffet had a large variety and switched up its prepared to order foods daily. But what set it apart was that staff would bring around various dishes that weren't on the buffet for you to try throughout your time in the restaurant.

And more generally the food on-property (I didn't try Favola, the Italian restaurant, and had no interest in doing so -- other than that the pool menu is from that restaurant and certainly fine). The main restaurant which also provides room service, and is where the buffet is housed, was really excellent. Very good Lanna-style Thai food as well. Good selection of choices, very high quality, not a lowest common denominator approach to food so prevalent at resorts. Food here is sort of the anti-LM Khao Lak

Enjoy your stay and please report back!
Wow. That says a lot coming from you. I'm sold.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:07 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by bp888
How long is the trip and is it all highway? Anything interesting to see along the way?
I drove Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai. It took about 3.5 hours I think and it was a very windy and beautiful route which was often two lanes.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:08 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Dear members,

I would like to inform you that the ground floor of the Grand Deluxe wing has been opened on 1st November and so now have 8 of these rooms available.

This would mean that if there is availability, Platinum guests might be upgraded to these rooms.

Here is a sneak peek on the Grand Deluxe room:

Grand Deluxe rooms offer

66 sqm of contemporary, chic accommodation super location adjacent to the pool and spa.
State of the art media hub allowing guests to play digital movies and music from their PC or MP3
42 TV and DVD player
Exclusive Cinq Mondes bathroom amenities
Modern bathroom with separate bath and rain shower
Private dressing room

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:30 am

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Stayed here last week...what a great hotel! Although all properties were very nice, this was definitely our favorite out of the 3 Le Meridien properties we stayed at in Thailand (Chiang Mai, Bangkok).

Was given a Deluxe River view room on the top floor on check-in. After seeing this room, I decided to inquire about not receiving an upgrade to the Grand Deluxe rooms. The hotel mentioned that only ground-floor Grand Deluxe rooms were available at the time, as those on the higher floors were still being finished (as per the above post). We decided to opt for the upgrade despite the lesser view. The room had a direct walk-out to the pool area.

Loved the room overall. They are huge! Bigger than many "suites" that I've seen at other hotels. Great walk-in-closet/dressing room and large washroom with a very nice shower and tub. Very nice extra touches such a fruits, deserts and chocolates left in the room each day....wish we could have stayed longer than 2 nights!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by ysbyvr
Very nice extra touches such a fruits, deserts and chocolates left in the room each day....wish we could have stayed longer than 2 nights!
To be cleear for folks, these extra touches aren't unique to grande deluxe room guests. ^

I have a tremendous fondness for this resort, have highly recommended it to several folks who have all returned happy.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:26 pm

Airport to LM - Chiang Rai

We are booked into LM-Chiang Rai, arriving on New Year's Eve, 2009. A few weeks ago, we wrote the hotel to ask about transfer from airport to hotel, but did not receive reply (probably because we booked our room through travelocity). Any advice from Flyertalk travel gurus will be most appreciated.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrzee
We are booked into LM-Chiang Rai, arriving on New Year's Eve, 2009. A few weeks ago, we wrote the hotel to ask about transfer from airport to hotel, but did not receive reply (probably because we booked our room through travelocity). Any advice from Flyertalk travel gurus will be most appreciated.
YGPM. I'll send you details on the airport transfer, and help get you in touch with the hotel.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
whats the latest on airport transportation from cnx? is taxi or hotel chartered transportation the best? are there any airport buses?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
I was at this hotel for 3 nights with my family. We took a taxi from the airport for 200 baht. Hotel transportation would cost 600 baht for the 10 min ride. No buses from the airport.

We were assigned a regular room on the 4th floor the first night. Having read this thread, I requested for a grand deluxe room the next day. The reception lady told me "Yes, there is one room available." I don't think the grand deluxe wing was even half full. The impression of the hotel would have been much nicer if the larger room were offered without having to ask for it.

Anyway, the grand deluxe room was spacious and very nice. No chocolates though. They offered free breakfast and 2 glasses of drink at the bar as P benefits. Even though Champagne was not on the free drink list, they still let me have it, which was great. I also liked the breakfast noodles bar and a wide variety of Asian food. Yes, as OP mentioned, their coffee was good! The Italian restaurant by the river was so good that we had dinner there 2 nights in a row. The hotel is great when one wants to relax in a quite, rural Thai atmosphere. We definitely want to return to this hotel soon.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA*G, *wood Gold, Hyatt Pl, IC plat.RA.
Thumbs up Brilliant Hotel and Staff

I'm staying at the hotel now and upgraded to the Grand deluxe room. I must say the room, staff and hotel in general are brilliant. The facilities are wonderful, the room is spacious and well located.

They are having a Starwood conference here with a few bigwigs so the GM is busy with these people. However She still has the time to greet every incoming guest, and we asked her a question about the local restaurants and even though there were 40 Starwood people milling in the lobby, she spent the time to explain how to get to one of her favourite local restaurants. I we very impressed.

This is a great hotel, if you are considering going, I really think you should.

Also the 2 of the main sights in the area are the white temple and the black house. They are nothing like anything you've likely to have seen before and something really worth seeing.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
It may be worth your while to rent a car. It will save big $$ going to the Golden Triangle. We usually rent from Budget Thailand and drove up from Chiang Mai. That may be too hectic for most people, but the driving on the main road around Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle is pretty mild.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:48 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jcbranch
Also the 2 of the main sights in the area are the white temple and the black house. They are nothing like anything you've likely to have seen before and something really worth seeing.
These are two really beautiful sites. The black house was totally off the radar when I was there last year. Were there many visitors when you were there?

Originally Posted by PatMike
It may be worth your while to rent a car. It will save big $$ going to the Golden Triangle. We usually rent from Budget Thailand and drove up from Chiang Mai. That may be too hectic for most people, but the driving on the main road around Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle is pretty mild.
Excellent suggestion. Did the same thing.

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 30, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.