Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Imagine my surprise this morning when I logged into my MR account and saw that the Chicago Marriott had added a parking charge onto my account after I checked out.

So now I have three folios: the original one with parking on it (slipped under the door), the one from checkout with the charge removed, and a third one with a new parking charge added sometime after we left the property.

Marriott's central accounting group was helpful: they fixed it with no hold time and promised to send me a new (final) folio, but still...what a shameful, awful hotel to begin with.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Coming to Chicago for the first time in many years for a weekend of being a tourist.

Looking at my options, and the many comments here, I'm trying to choose between the JW ($149++/night) and the Renaissance Blackstone ($127++/night), based on my corporate rate. I'm a Marriott Platinum.

From what I can see neither is in a perfect location but seem to be popular, but I'm curious what the breakfast situation will be with the changes to the platinum breakfast benefit to include breakfast at weekends (and my corporate rate doesn't include it).

As we're Europeans public transport isn't a problem, and the Blackstone seems to be winning at the moment as:
- Cheaper rate
- Slightly closer to the Metro (Blue line) means a slightly easier trip to the airport (if very long!)
- Close to the shore/park/some museums is likely to be helpful

I've discounted the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile as it is both more expensive and seems to be a pretty mixed bag in terms of reviews both here and on tripadvisor.

I presume the JW's lounge is closed at weekends still - but the excellent Master thread hasn't been updated recently.

Anyone fault my logic, or am I missing anything?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The JW is a much, much, much, much better location, especially if you are planning to be a tourist. Staying there versus the Blackstone is the difference between stopping back at the room throughout the day versus leaving in the morning an returning at the end of the day. It's a beautiful hotel, but the Blackstone isn't conveniently located.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The JW is a much, much, much, much better location, especially if you are planning to be a tourist. Staying there versus the Blackstone is the difference between stopping back at the room throughout the day versus leaving in the morning an returning at the end of the day. It's a beautiful hotel, but the Blackstone isn't conveniently located.
I strongly echo these sentiments. Here are some of my thoughts on the choices:

1. The Blackstone is not within walking distance of many good restaurants/shopping, and the Chicago L is not optimized for short trips. You'd end up having to take a cab to get to the "heart" of downtown, or be prepared for a 30+ minute one-way walk.

2. Even though the Loop (where the JW is located) is dead during the weekend, it's a 15 minute walk to get to the heart of downtown.

3. I recommend you check to see if you have a corporate rate for the Renaissance. It's as convenient as the Mag Mile Marriott, but a far superior property (IMO). That's my go-to location for overnight downtown stays. About the only place you need to take a cab to is the Market District (which will be the case for any downtown hotel).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I love the Blackstone. Its anit-cookie cutter in every aspect. However the JW is a great hotel as well.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by rflor
I strongly echo these sentiments. Here are some of my thoughts on the choices:

1. The Blackstone is not within walking distance of many good restaurants/shopping, and the Chicago L is not optimized for short trips. You'd end up having to take a cab to get to the "heart" of downtown, or be prepared for a 30+ minute one-way walk.

2. Even though the Loop (where the JW is located) is dead during the weekend, it's a 15 minute walk to get to the heart of downtown.

3. I recommend you check to see if you have a corporate rate for the Renaissance. It's as convenient as the Mag Mile Marriott, but a far superior property (IMO). That's my go-to location for overnight downtown stays. About the only place you need to take a cab to is the Market District (which will be the case for any downtown hotel).
I totally disagree with the cab part of #1. The Harrison red line stop is just a few blocks from the Blackstone and could easily take someone to Grand or Chicago which would drop people right at prime Michigan Avenue shopping areas in less than fifteen minutes. #29 State Street bus is also an easy way to get north as are the #146 and #147 buses. If one wanted to stay on Michigan Avenue, the #3 bus runs on Michigan all the way up to Chicago.

Maybe it's because I'm a local but I don't think the Blackstone is all that poorly located at all.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I totally disagree with the cab part of #1. The Harrison red line stop is just a few blocks from the Blackstone and could easily take someone to Grand or Chicago which would drop people right at prime Michigan Avenue shopping areas in less than fifteen minutes.
So this was my thinking as well as I'd looked on google maps and seen the red line. We tend to be a "go out once and then return" couple anyway. Good to see a local thinks the same (being European metro travel is perfectly fine).

If choosing the "best" is that perceived to be the Renaissance Chicago downtown? My corporate rate is $164++ so it is only a little more expensive in absolute terms, I'd pay 20% more for a better hotel (Since I'm unlikely to return to Chicago then for many years). However all the recent tripadvisor posts mention renovations (even if limited impact) which is why I'd discounted it and focused between the JW and the Blackstone. Would appreciate your view Andrea on that?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by littlevoices
So this was my thinking as well as I'd looked on google maps and seen the red line. We tend to be a "go out once and then return" couple anyway. Good to see a local thinks the same (being European metro travel is perfectly fine).
I'm local as well, and I recommend you temper your expectations of Chicago public transit, as it lags behind European metro systems in reliability. Both trains and buses have a habit of running late and/or inconsistently...which is why I suggested the Renaissance as a more walkable option.

My last visit to the Renaissance was September when they were working on some minor lobby renovations, but nothing impacting the room or checkin experience.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:40 pm

xxxxx
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
The Ren on the river is a great hotel in a great location but the rooms are very dated. The Blackstone offers some killer views of the lake, BH fountain, and is literally across the street from the park and a short walk to museums.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Go for the Blackstone. Try for a lake view room. Rooms such as xx18 have multiple windows overlooking the lake and sun rises are like being at the ocean. Their restaurant, is a tapas format and is A+. The concierge lounge is good, usual breakfast type stuff but the dinners have the Latin style food from the restaurant. I had a black bean soup, golly it was great.

Previous to this stay at the Blackstone, I had been at the Wit and the Park Hyatt. I prefer the Blackstone with the lake view and being closer to the museums. Also there is a Trader's Joe not to far away if you want to hit cheaper eats (my room had a frig.) and want to picnic in the park.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Originally Posted by CJKatl
being a local I couldn't disagree more. the only thing "touristy" the JW is close to is the Willis Tower, which I would never go to. The top of the Hancock is a far superior experience.

As for the Blackstone, its right up Michigan Ave (which has many buses) so its easier to get to the Mag Mile and Rush Street district. You can also take the same buses to River North after a 2-4 block walk. The Blackstone is also closer to the Museums, the parks and all the great restuarants in the south Loop.

As for the hotels, the JW is VERY nice, but I consider it more of a business hotel. I much prefer the uniqueness of the Blackstone. Of all the Marriotts, I would probably choose the Ren based on location and overall quality.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Need help between Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel and Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection next Thur and Fri night. I have the same rate at both places so just wondering which is better/nicer. I will have Friday off and will be a tourist for the day. While I enjoy the lounge, with all of the great food in Chicago, I plan on eating outside of the hotel. Thank you in advance for your vote.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Bumping an old thread

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
Anyone stayed at or walked through the SpringHill Suites? I have a stay coming up in early July.

Charles
with a recent stay report. Was just at the SpringHill Suites in Lincolnshire as a part of a block for a wedding at the Arboretum in nearby Buffalo Grove.

The Good:
-ran a shuttle to and from the wedding for those who wanted to drink
-a reasonable distance and quick access to O'Hare
-in room request honored ask for room near lobby due to another guest's mobility issues
-I really loved the room. Ours had a nice couch that was arranged well vis a vis that TV (which was on a base that turned to point it toward the bedroom and or living area), a nice/clean kitchenette, dish soap for the kitchenette sink. Bedding was good and ask for extra pillows was honored within 5m of call
-Gym was in good repair although small
-ample parking
-well-stocked market and pleasant staff

The Meh (as nothing was truly bad)
-it can be hard to find amid the others in the marriott complex as it's not well signed from Milwaukee Ave & 300 Marriott Drive is a useless address as faras GPS is concerned
-one trash can for the entire room, including the bathroom. This was annoying
-Pool deck was kind of groddy
-Issues with room bill took a lot longer than I felt reasonable to resolve at checkout.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report on this property. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.