Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Just saw an entry on Marriott website for Marriott Marquis Chicago, opening July 2017. I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.

Located at 2121 S Prairie Ave, Chicago, IL 60616, which is out by McCormick Place.

Chicago Marriott Marquis, opening in 2017, will soar 39 stories over the city's lakefront and south Loop, with 1206 stylish guest rooms and over 90,000 sq ft of meeting space. Directly connected to McCormick Place...
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...rquis-chicago/

And on another note, apparently entering busy season for Chicago. A couple of trips being booked and Marriott prices are sky high. Nothing under $300 a night, including one which is a weekend trip. One of the lower brands (I think it was Courtyard) was listed at $900 a night. That's not going to happen.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just saw an entry on Marriott website for Marriott Marquis Chicago, opening July 2017. I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.

Located at 2121 S Prairie Ave, Chicago, IL 60616, which is out by McCormick Place.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...rquis-chicago/
Thread started on it a couple of years ago, & I think it was also discussed a few months ago in a dif thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...cCormick+Place

Will be a good location for those who need to attend conventions at McCormick Place, although presumably rates will be high.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
As I mentioned upthread, some crazy pricing in Chicago over the next couple of weeks. I was looking again today to see if any of the prices had come down and found this on the results page - Ritz is only $10 more then Fairfield Inn Mag Mile.

Makes my ~$300 rate at the Fairfield River North seem like a steal.
Attached Images  
Old May 6, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by goodeats21
As I mentioned upthread, some crazy pricing in Chicago over the next couple of weeks. I was looking again today to see if any of the prices had come down and found this on the results page - Ritz is only $10 more then Fairfield Inn Mag Mile.

Makes my ~$300 rate at the Fairfield River North seem like a steal.
Huge trade show Restaurant Association in senocd half of May
Old May 6, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Huge trade show Restaurant Association in senocd half of May
Ah, thanks. I figured a major show was in town, but didn't know any specifics. I would have to be pretty desperate to cough up $900 for a night at the Fairfield Inn.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Usually THAT Fairfield has some of the best prices in the city. Always less than nearly all others. With its great location and new rooms I actually really like it. Plus its small and in a quiet area.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Marriott Suites Downers Grove

As indicated by others, this property went through a recent rehab (appears to have been all rooms and common areas).

This is my first time at a Marriott Suites property. Not sure how many of these exist, but it is what happens when you take a SpringHill or Fairfield and combine it with a Marriott FS property, but you lose some benefits on both sides. I'll explain.

Upon check-in I was assigned a normal suites room. Plat status was recognized, but no upgrade and there is no lounge. Was given at 2pm late check-out without hesitation. Breakfast would be complementary in the restaurant. I was not asked about if I wanted points or F&B credit.

The lobby is actually pretty boring and I think most FS have a better one. There was an illy coffee bar and a restaurant.

The room is a two-room design with a living space with sofa bed, desk (woo hoo!), microwave and fridge and its own tv. The bedroom would be similar to you standard FS room with its own tv. There are french doors separating the bedroom from the living space and access to the bathroom from both the living space and bedroom.

FS amenities including quality of towels (whew!) and Thann toiletries. However, there are water bottles for sale in the room (I think Starwood and Hilton would have provided free ones). Internet was ridiculous at $11 for normal and $15 for enhanced per day. Not that I had to pay, but this would be free at the other suites properties (like Fairfield and SpringHill).

The breakfast at the restaurant was very mediocre. There was a made to order omelet station, and I think you could request a waffle (I saw the machines behind the counter). But maybe the waffle option is only for a la carte or room service orders. A few other poorly done hot items were also available. I was really disappointed in the exact same muffins you would see at a Fairfield or Residence (you know what I am talking about). The nearby Embassy Suites does a much better job at breakfast. The worse part is the presentation of a bill that was not a zero total even though the waitress knew I was a plat. I think they do it for tipping purposes (like the tip envelope in the room). I did leave a cash tip at the breakfast, but did not sign the receipt/folio (the breakfast was priced at $10 it seems).

Overall, great room, mostly due to quality toiletries and towels, but breakfast was only marginally better than LS suite brands ran by Marriott.

Rasheed
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:07 am

Are you still at the property? If you want it, you could ask for the PAG guarantee payout since you weren't offered the PAG ($100) since you weren't at check-in. You have to make the claim prior to check-out though.

The layout of the suite sounds typical for Marriott Suites.

I've stayed at Marriott suites where the breakfast bill shows the full amount but there's no charge at check-out (other than the tip if put on the bill). I think it has more to do w/ the hotel's accounting system than trying to force a tip.

Re: quality of breakfast. Probably depends on the property. The LAS Marriott has a full-blown breakfast buffet, along w/ made-to-order omelettes, and it's a nice spread.

Thanks for the update on the property. We haven't had one in a while.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Did a search through this thread dating back to 2010 without any luck.

I will be staying at the FS Chicago Northwest in Hoffman Estates. Any reviews, comments about this property? Thanks in advance.
I know this is an old post, but I'm here now so I will comment.

Lobby/common areas are very nice, definitely have been refreshed at some point. Staff at check in was pleasant enough. No acknowledgement of elite status, other than when I explicitly asked where the lounge was.

Rooms are quite dated. The bathrooms have been redone but the rest of the room feels like I'm in 1985. Clean, but dated.

Lounge is equally dated. Service in the lounge has been nonexistent. I went up at 5:30 and there was one hot item and the usual cheese and veggies. There was a decent pile of plates. I stopped back in at 7:40 and there was a MASSIVE pile of dirty plates. Hor doerves still out. No sign of desert. There were no bottles of water at 5:30 and still none 2 hours later. No sign of any attendant on either occasion.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:08 am

Thanks for the update. If you're still at the property you might want to chat w/ the GM re: the lounge service/offerings.

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Marriott Downtown renovated room

At the Chicago Marriott Downtown, got upgraded to a renovated room on 44th floor. Nice city view.

This must be the "new" room I keep hearing about. There isn't so much a desk as a "table" with a chair. There is literally no place the plug in a laptop other than the lamps next to the bed. The lamps have USB ports, but I generally like to put all my electronics on the desk and I have a single charger that handles all of them (but requires a real outlet). Anyway, does Marriott think that no one uses a laptop and sits down and does any work at a desk? Wasn't it less than 10 years ago that we were all about "plug in, the new ultra adaptable room" where they marketed that row of outlets and a way to hook up your laptop to the TV? I'm kind of scratching my head on this one.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LPCJr
At the Chicago Marriott Downtown, got upgraded to a renovated room on 44th floor. Nice city view.

This must be the "new" room I keep hearing about. There isn't so much a desk as a "table" with a chair. There is literally no place the plug in a laptop other than the lamps next to the bed. The lamps have USB ports, but I generally like to put all my electronics on the desk and I have a single charger that handles all of them (but requires a real outlet). Anyway, does Marriott think that no one uses a laptop and sits down and does any work at a desk? Wasn't it less than 10 years ago that we were all about "plug in, the new ultra adaptable room" where they marketed that row of outlets and a way to hook up your laptop to the TV? I'm kind of scratching my head on this one.
Not a big fan of this location for business - JW much better choice or RI behind John Hancock building best.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Quick update on the Renaissance. This is our "go to" hotel for weekend getaways without kids due to its great location.

A. The renovations are done with an updated lobby bar (including some crazy stadium-style seating) and a rooftop bar on the 3rd floor named Raised. We had several drinks at Raised Saturday night. Great bar, great drink selection, not bad pricing, and it was high-energy. Lots of people enjoying themselves.

B. Got upgraded to a *sweet* corner room with a sectional couch. It's another reason why we do weekend stays here. As a Gold, I've gotten a nice upgrade (including the Presidential Suite once) every time we've stayed here.

C. Aside from plenty of power outlets, they had a dedicated mobile device charger by the bed with micro-usb/Lightning/old-style iPhone charging cords. Unfortunately the lightning cable was too fiddly for our taste.

D. The rooms are in the new Marriott style, which means no desks. I guess you're supposed to work in that funky stadium setup in the bar.

E. I didn't check to see if it's new-style room service or not. I didn't see any room service trays, so that may be an ominous sign.

F. The hotel decor has been redone in a cool Chicago transit theme. We liked it.

G. Didn't check out the concierge lounge so no update there.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:18 pm

Headed to the Marriott Magnificent Mile this weekend for a conference. Will update after my stay.

Edit: finishing up my stay here.

Upgraded to a Dlx City view from a regular guest - nice change since we had to book via a third party website on a conference rate and the hotel didn't know my status until I showed up.

Something odd a colleague experienced was the heat/AC. The hotel, in the fall, allows either AC or heat - not both. Your room is either cold or hot, which is very strange. Her room was set to heat, so a technician came to her room and opened the window and told her to turn off the heat to cool her room.

Exec Lounge closed on the weekends so they offer 1000 points per night. PAG is 500 pts.

If you have to go to McCormick Place, it's easily a 20 minute bus ride for conventions. With the Cubs in town, the ride home was 45 minutes with traffic blocks and other hotel stops.

Checkout was offered as 4pm for a Platinum.

Last edited by sig05; Oct 23, 2016 at 12:03 am
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Saw an article about bed bugs at the Chicago Courtyard Downtown/River North.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...t-sue-mag-mile

Careful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.