Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by draerospace

1. I was offered compensation of 5000pts plus $10 credit. However no $100 .

2. I think Marriott should just take away welcoming gift at once, most of the hotel I stayed into , always always miss this, unless you mention it right in their face immediately. I feel like elite perks are not served to you, you have to tell them what you know to get the deal.
1. If you were ok w/ the 5K points + $10 credit, that's fine. However, you were entitled to the $100 & could have declined the 5K/$10.

2. Sorry the hotels you've stayed at haven't asked what you prefer for PAG. I normally get asked at check-in.

Sounds like the JW management needs to do some training, especially since this is a JW.

Cheers.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:55 pm

Chicago Ren or FS Mag Mile for Platinum Member

I'm down to either Ren on Wacker or FS Mag Mile. Does anyone have experience with Plat benefts.... such as chance of room upgrade and which CL is better. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I stayed at the REN last August, the hotel was sold out, they gave me a HUGE suite for 3 days as a PP. The CL was good to better than average, they had many bottled beverages that helped stock my suite refrig with drink mixers. I have no experience anywhere else. I believe that older RENs were built with more suites than your average FS, that might be a factor too.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Read at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...hicago-il.html
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've stayed at the Mag Mile FS many times as a Plat and Plat Prem. I've never gotten an UG to a suite. My assumption is because this is a hotel that hosts many corporate events and weddings, the suites are likely given to those groups as part of the booking deal.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by boyznme
I'm down to either Ren on Wacker or FS Mag Mile. Has anyone experience with Plat benefts such as chance of room upgrade and which CL is better. Thanks in advance.
You should compare notes with this guy.

In the meantime, I'll be staying at the FS Magnificent Mile so I'll have some experience to report next week.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed at the Ren in April. Got upgrade to a Riverview room (not suite though). I liked the lounge for the drinks as well, but note that it does close on the weekend, so stock up on drinks on Friday! Breakfast will be in the restaurant instead.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Just got back from the FS Mag Mile property this week. Overall, it was a mediocre experience.

Positives: The staff was friendly and helpful addressing any needs or concerns. The location can't be beat.

Negatives: The room was tiny (made more tiny by our rollaway need). The interior was in disrepair with peeling wallpaper and cracks here and there. The view faced west (not that exciting) as will most rooms at this property. No upgrades for this platinum to even a slightly larger room were available. Lounge closed on weekends and no restaurant breakfast offered; the only choice was the 1,000 points instead.

Doing it again, I'd probably take my chances at the Ren next time.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Currently at the Courtyard North River.

Using my corporate rate and for the first time in 15 years was asked to show ID. Was literally the first thing out of the FD persons mouth after good evening. No biggie and showed him. Was never acknowledged as an elite member.

Gave me my keys and wished me a good night and pointed to the elevator. I asked about my platinum benefits and his response was "well you didn't give me time and I wasn't done". Yea right. After some light arguing with the manager (he stuck to the FD guy wasn't done story) I got my $100. Took a credit to the bill.

Overall a meh property but our corporate rate was killer.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by apodo77
Was never acknowledged as an elite member.

Gave me my keys and wished me a good night and pointed to the elevator. I asked about my platinum benefits and his response was "well you didn't give me time and I wasn't done". Yea right. After some light arguing with the manager (he stuck to the FD guy wasn't done story) I got my $100. Took a credit to the bill.
Since the Platinum Arrival Gift Guarantee at a Courtyard is $50, the manager should have argued harder.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by dayone
Since the Platinum Arrival Gift Guarantee at a Courtyard is $50, the manager should have argued harder.
Hmm. Who knew. It was the first time I ever asked for the compensation and just assumed it was $100.

He definitely gave me $100 and never said it should be $50.

Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Hmm. Who knew. It was the first time I ever asked for the compensation and just assumed it was $100.

He definitely gave me $100 and never said it should be $50.

Appears from the photo that it was applied as a credit to your account rather than a cash payment, thus denying you rightfully earned points.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Appears from the photo that it was applied as a credit to your account rather than a cash payment, thus denying you rightfully earned points.
I was offered cash and took the credit since I am billing it to a client. Didn't really need the money and trying to stay on their good side.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was offered cash and took the credit since I am billing it to a client. Didn't really need the money and trying to stay on their good side.
Cash is what is supposed to be offered, but if you prefer credit (even if it wasn't being billed to a client) that's ok. I think ohmark thought the GM offered you credit first. Given that the CY is supposed to be $50 & not $100 you actually came out ahead.

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Added: Wow. Just checked out the rates. You cannot even get into the SHS/RI on a Plat Override. Given the choices I just saw, you have made the right choice. The Midway FS isn't as nice as the Medical District FS. The downtown FI is more money and the only property in the Loop area that I avoid. The O'Hare Suites is a very nice hotel, but it's farther than you want. The Medical District would be my choice, having stayed in most of the Marriott properties in Chicago.
Isn't it crazy? I've tried to figure out what event downtown is driving up rates to such stratospheric levels and can't figure it out.

Ironically, I have a placeholder res at the River North FI, and an hour after I booked the UIC property...I get an email from the FI general manager asking if there's anything they can do for me leading up to my stay. For being a lowly Gold, that's a rare occurrence for me.

Either that's a really crazy coincidence or Marriott has some real business intelligence correlation going on in their system. Likely the former.

The UIC Marriott is the choice then. I will post a trip report after the stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.