Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Looking at a weekend stay at the JW, Ren DT, Sheraton Grand Riverwalk, or W Lakeshore with young kids since those properties that have pools. Doesn't look like any have lounges open on the weekends. Any advice?
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
After going through this and many other threads on hotels in Chicago I am now even more confused than before where to stay. I'm taking the wife to Chicago early December for the third time and am now absolutely determined to make it to the city itself as our prior stays only had us stick to the areas around O'hare for various reasons.

Without much hesitation I booked the JW Marriott because of good experience with other JWs around the world, but after reading through this thread and also the separate one on that hotel it looks like this particular JW is the black sheep of the brand - I really do not want to discuss elite benefits with the hotel, and a lounge closed on weekends also make me unhappy as well. Only positive was the rate I got through the best rate guarantee at $140 per night Friday to Monday.

So here I'm back to square one with my search - I have absolutely no clue which hotel to choose. Ritz and St. Regis are out of my range, and I'd love to keep the price around $150 per night, so the Gwen and several other hotels are also out - currently look at:

- Hotel Chicago Downtown
- Westin Michigan Avenue
- Springhill Suites Downton/River North
- The Blackstone
- Embassy Suites Magnificient Mile (while it's not a Marriott-property, my company rate is very good there)

What we are looking for is a decently-sized and comfortable room with good bedding, Club lounge (open weekends) if possible, sparkling clean rooms (my wife is head housekeeper at a boutique property and always compares "their work" to how her team does things) and access to public transportation to get around. We will keep our car parked while staying there and will either walk or take public transport to see typical touristy sights in Chicago.

So with all this said, any suggestion what hotel I should choose? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:37 am

To be honest, it is very unlikely that any of these properties will meet the bar that you are setting, and very few U.S. properties will hit the standard set by even an average European upmarket property. For example, even if you find a club lounge that is open, it is very likely to be a disappointment, laughable compared to the standard in Europe. If you forced me to pick from one of the list you provided I would go with the Blackstone due to a combination of hard product and location, but I would not prepare for a world-beating experience. I could also be convinced of the Hotel Chicago simply because one cannot beat River North for location. But either way, I would plan on spending little time in the hotel and maximizing your enjoyment of all that Chicago has to offer (which is a tremendous amount).
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by djohannw
After going through this and many other threads on hotels in Chicago I am now even more confused than before where to stay. I'm taking the wife to Chicago early December for the third time and am now absolutely determined to make it to the city itself as our prior stays only had us stick to the areas around O'hare for various reasons.

Without much hesitation I booked the JW Marriott because of good experience with other JWs around the world, but after reading through this thread and also the separate one on that hotel it looks like this particular JW is the black sheep of the brand - I really do not want to discuss elite benefits with the hotel, and a lounge closed on weekends also make me unhappy as well. Only positive was the rate I got through the best rate guarantee at $140 per night Friday to Monday.

So here I'm back to square one with my search - I have absolutely no clue which hotel to choose. Ritz and St. Regis are out of my range, and I'd love to keep the price around $150 per night, so the Gwen and several other hotels are also out - currently look at:

- Hotel Chicago Downtown
- Westin Michigan Avenue
- The Blackstone
- Embassy Suites Magnificient Mile (while it's not a Marriott-property, my company rate is very good there)

What we are looking for is a decently-sized and comfortable room with good bedding, Club lounge (open weekends) if possible, sparkling clean rooms (my wife is head housekeeper at a boutique property and always compares "their work" to how her team does things) and access to public transportation to get around. We will keep our car parked while staying there and will either walk or take public transport to see typical touristy sights in Chicago.

So with all this said, any suggestion what hotel I should choose? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Greetings - Dirk
Originally Posted by arlflyer
To be honest, it is very unlikely that any of these properties will meet the bar that you are setting, and very few U.S. properties will hit the standard set by even an average European upmarket property. For example, even if you find a club lounge that is open, it is very likely to be a disappointment, laughable compared to the standard in Europe. If you forced me to pick from one of the list you provided I would go with the Blackstone due to a combination of hard product and location, but I would not prepare for a world-beating experience. I could also be convinced of the Hotel Chicago simply because one cannot beat River North for location. But either way, I would plan on spending little time in the hotel and maximizing your enjoyment of all that Chicago has to offer (which is a tremendous amount).
Assuming their lounge is open on weekends (been awhile since I have been there to check), I would 2nd the choice of Hotel Chicago Downtown. I prefer that location over the Blackstone area and I have never had a cleanliness issue there.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I will comment on the two properties with which I have experience. Specific to your preferences, Hotel Chicago had decent bedding but the rooms are very dark. It was clean but because it is so dark, it didn't strike me as "sparkling clean". And the lounge is not impressive. But the location is excellent for tourist areas and public transport.

The River North Springhill is quite average and both times I stayed there, it was very, very noisy. Average bedding, average freshness, unremarkable breakfast lounge in the lobby.

If I had to pick for you, I'd probably pick Blackstone. I've heard it's nice and the location is excellent.

Also, are you certain you need a car? Will you actually be driving to Chicago? Parking will be very expensive and annoying.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 7:37 am

Quick comment on the Ritz Carlton - staff is awesome, bedding/suite were phenomenal, can't comment on lounge as we did not purchase access. The pool area is lackluster, lap pool only, no whirlpool, men/women have separate spa areas, however, the sauna is lukewarm, locker room has old world feel with lots of nametags etc. Steambath at least worked. Gym very good. Insane views.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium United Silver

- Hotel Chicago Downtown
- Westin Michigan Avenue
- The Blackstone

Greetings - Dirk
Hotel Chicago would probably be your best bet. I know they have an open club lounge on the weekends. The Westin Michigan Ave has a beautiful lounge but they close it on the weekends.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback. I'm currently leaning towards the Embassy Suites as it gets pretty decent reviews on tripadvisor recently and while not having a lounge, they have their social hour every evening. And with a rate of $102 this seems like a killer deal, and no "destination fee" that most hotels on the Marriott side I'm looking at require...

As to car in Chicago - I will not need that while staying downtown, but the days before and after that weekend. So returning the car and then picking up a new one would be more costly than just renting for the whole trip and park it, plus it saves the hassle of dropping off and picking up again...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I'm planning to head up to Chicago during the week between Christmas and New Years. Been in South Florida for 15 years but grew up in the Chicagoland area so I always enjoy heading back there for the food, the people and the sports. Despite never living a day of his life in Chicago, I raised my 19-year old son to be an avid Chicago sports fan, something I apologize to him about at least a couple times a year, lol.

He really wanted to go to Chicago to see some games and it turns out, we can hit the Blackhawks on 12/27, the Bulls on 12/30 and the Bears on 12/31. He is ecstatic!

Now I'm trying to find a place to stay. After just hitting Eternal Platinum a few weeks ago, it's pretty much All Marriott, All the Time for us.

The rates are pretty decent so I'm looking at the following, with the understanding that I want to be able to easily get to United Center and Soldier Field as well as be around great restaurants.

Here is the list I am looking at:

The Renaissance Downtown - Have stayed here a few times before. Really liked it
The Gwen - Have stayed here in June 2021 for a wedding. Liked it but I don't remember it being THAT over the top based on the love that I see here.
JW Marriott - Never stayed
LaSalle - Never stayed
Blackstone - Stayed here probably 10 years ago. We liked it but don't remember it being anything excessive. Smaller rooms because it's an older hotel maybe?
Le Meridien - Never stayed
AC Hotel - Have stayed in a new AC Hotel in Tallahasee recently and liked it. This one looks very similar in style.

Any strong opinions either way about the above for location and proximity and ease of getting to both United Center and Soldier Field?

Last edited by Steam; Dec 10, 2023 at 9:12 am Reason: Add AC Hotel
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Steam
I'm planning to head up to Chicago during the week between Christmas and New Years. Been in South Florida for 15 years but grew up in the Chicagoland area so I always enjoy heading back there for the food, the people and the sports. Despite never living a day of his life in Chicago, I raised my 19-year old son to be an avid Chicago sports fan, something I apologize to him about at least a couple times a year, lol.

He really wanted to go to Chicago to see some games and it turns out, we can hit the Blackhawks on 12/27, the Bulls on 12/30 and the Bears on 12/31. He is ecstatic!

Now I'm trying to find a place to stay. After just hitting Eternal Platinum a few weeks ago, it's pretty much All Marriott, All the Time for us.

The rates are pretty decent so I'm looking at the following, with the understanding that I want to be able to easily get to United Center and Soldier Field as well as be around great restaurants.

Here is the list I am looking at:

The Renaissance Downtown - Have stayed here a few times before. Really liked it
The Gwen - Have stayed here in June 2021 for a wedding. Liked it but I don't remember it being THAT over the top based on the love that I see here.
JW Marriott - Never stayed
LaSalle - Never stayed
Blackstone - Stayed here probably 10 years ago. We liked it but don't remember it being anything excessive. Smaller rooms because it's an older hotel maybe?
Le Meridien - Never stayed
AC Hotel - Have stayed in a new AC Hotel in Tallahasee recently and liked it. This one looks very similar in style.

Any strong opinions either way about the above for location and proximity and ease of getting to both United Center and Soldier Field?
If you end up between LaSalle and JW, I would strongly recommend LaSalle as the newer and better option - they are in the same building, but completely separated.

Why are you not considering the Westin River North? I still think I like it best when value is considered.
Steam likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
The wife is leaning towards the LaSalle so as a result, so am I at this point.

I do like Westins. Not sure why I didn't include it. Will take a look at rates.

Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
The ORD Springhill Suites is right next to a Hooters… and some good Italian restaurants. That’s a keeper for me.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Did LM last weekend. Best thing about it is ability to walk to Soldier...beyond that, it's small & cramped.

Gwen for hard product + location.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Any recent experiences with the Renaissance Downtown? It seems it was beloved on FT pre-COVID but very limited reviews on here since and doesn't seem to have a Master Thread. Seems to have a great location and sounds like there was a renovation about 10 years ago or so. Interested in any opinions on room conditions, noise levels, elite treatment, weekend operations (i.e., is the lounge open and, if not, any substitute benefits)?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 6:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium United Silver
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
Any recent experiences with the Renaissance Downtown? It seems it was beloved on FT pre-COVID but very limited reviews on here since and doesn't seem to have a Master Thread. Seems to have a great location and sounds like there was a renovation about 10 years ago or so. Interested in any opinions on room conditions, noise levels, elite treatment, weekend operations (i.e., is the lounge open and, if not, any substitute benefits)?
I like the hotel, it's in the perfect spot right on the river. It's not the quietest hotels as the bars here are PACKED during the busy season. Rooms are in good shape. Got upgraded as a titanium on a busy weekend stay to their Executive suite with river view. Club lounge is closed on the weekends and this hotel is exempt (in the terms and conditions from Marriott website) from providing breakfast in the restaurant when club lounge is closed. So basically you get a welcome gift choice of 1,000 points or a $10 food and beverage credit.
MDtR-Chicago and DCFlyer0306 like this.

Last edited by Ryansox; Mar 2, 2024 at 6:29 pm Reason: corrected statement for when club lounge is closed they are not required to provide breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.