Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks. I passed on some reservations about that SHS as I've ridden by it a lot on the CTA and on I-94 and it always looked a little rundown and the neighborhood is somewhat seedy. I've got him monitoring the thread now too ^
I've stayed at the property multiple times & never been worried about my safety. It's just an overnight stay, the shuttle is free, there's free parking, there's a free brekkie, a restaurant attached, the staff is nice and if they do want to go into the city it's not that far a walk to the blue line. It's not one of the newly renovated SHS & not a FS or Ritz property, but for a 1-night stay it's fine.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by bdschobel
No. The Schaumburg FS (where I have stayed dozens of times) is a long way from ORD, with no hotel-provided transportation.

Bruce
I was throwing suburban properties out that were below Cat 5 with my last two suggestions. Although the Schaumburg FS isn't close to O'Hare, it is close to lots of eating and shopping, with that mall kind of down the road.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Hello everyone...for those of you much more familiar with these properties help me out? I am planning a short meeting for my team at work and Chicago looks to be a destination. Late June, in on Monday the 23rd and out on Thursday the 26th. There will be about 25 of us in total. Here is what we are looking for/important to us:

1. We are pretty casual, so does not have to be fancy - just clean
2. Want to be near the activity of the city versus out in the suburbs
3. Need a meeting room inside the hotel that will host 1/2 day meetings on Mon,Tue,Wed
4. Close to the train stop would be great
5. Walking distance to restaurants, bars, activities also a plus
6. Budget is important although we are somewhat flexible

I checked TA and other sites and these hotels seem to be decent options with availability during these dates (the JW and Blackstone are not open, unfortunately). Thoughts on these for what I described?
- Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North (Dearborn)
- Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile (Ontario)
- Renaissance Chicago Downtown (Wacker)

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:12 am

All the above are good choices. The CY would be the least best of the three, IMO. BTW, if you are considering the RI, consider the SHS, too. They are essentially the same hotel. Each floor has some RI rooms and some SHS rooms, with different elevator banks and different sides of the lobby. For all I know, they may handle their group bookings together, as opposed to individual reservations, where they are treated as two separate properties.

You might also want to consider the FS Magnificent Mile. Of the five hotels, I'd go with whichever gives the best deal. Each will allow you the experience you're looking for.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You might also want to consider the FS Magnificent Mile. Of the five hotels, I'd go with whichever gives the best deal. Each will allow you the experience you're looking for.
I second everything here with one suggestion/caveat...

Often the Courtyards and Residence Inns may not have a large enough conference room to comfortably sit 25 for a meeting. Don't know about the downtown hotels, but I've seen it at the suburban hotels.

With that in mind, my suggestion is you start with the Renaissance and branch out from there. Having just stayed there a month ago, they have an excellent meeting room setup and are within easy walking distance of some of Chicago's best nightlife.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Thanks to both of you!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by rflor
I second everything here with one suggestion/caveat...

Often the Courtyards and Residence Inns may not have a large enough conference room to comfortably sit 25 for a meeting. Don't know about the downtown hotels, but I've seen it at the suburban hotels.

With that in mind, my suggestion is you start with the Renaissance and branch out from there. Having just stayed there a month ago, they have an excellent meeting room setup and are within easy walking distance of some of Chicago's best nightlife.
Many RIs and SHSs do not have meeting space, but this one (RI and SHS are the same hotel here) does have rooms that would work well for a group of ~25.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
I checked TA and other sites and these hotels seem to be decent options with availability during these dates (the JW and Blackstone are not open, unfortunately). Thoughts on these for what I described?
- Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North (Dearborn)
- Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile (Ontario)
- Renaissance Chicago Downtown (Wacker)
Have you checked out the Springhill Suites on Dearborn, in the same building as the RI? Had a pleasant stay there recently on a very attractive rate. Was cheaper than RI and of course full points rather than the RI's half points. They share pool/exercise facilities but have separate check-in and dining areas. If you sneak evening snacks from the RI part of the building (perhaps using the RI's elevator rather than the SHS's) you won't be the first

I stayed at the Ren on Wacker immediately afterward. Got a corner room upgrade as a Gold. I chose this over a river view standard size -- yes, they offered me these choices, didn't have to ask. Lovely room but anything not facing the river will have noise from the L. Not a big deal but you notice it.

Don't like the Ren O'Hare, too much plane/road noise, property not really up to snuff and not a lot of walkable food options.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Looking for some advice for which Marriott is best for shopping/tourist trip? Would like to be within walking distance of main shops/sights and a good lounge would be great. Not too worried about upgrades (need two doubles so unlikely) or cost.

Have stayed at the RI on East Walton before and it was fine but not sure if this is the best location? Have a booking at the two Rens as they seemed the most suitable but would love some advice!

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ellie_nz
Looking for some advice for which Marriott is best for shopping/tourist trip? Would like to be within walking distance of main shops/sights and a good lounge would be great. Not too worried about upgrades (need two doubles so unlikely) or cost.

Have stayed at the RI on East Walton before and it was fine but not sure if this is the best location? Have a booking at the two Rens as they seemed the most suitable but would love some advice!

Thanks!
Actually, your list is the same as arizonawildcat's list! Some people love the Blackstone (Ren), but it's a little ways away from the stuff you want to be around.

Personally, my faves are the SHS and FS Mag Mile. Many like the Ren on Wacker, but as was previously mentioned, I find it noisy.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Stayed a number of times at the Ren on Wacker. All, but once, upgraded to suite with view. Never had a noise problem.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Actually, your list is the same as arizonawildcat's list! Some people love the Blackstone (Ren), but it's a little ways away from the stuff you want to be around.

Personally, my faves are the SHS and FS Mag Mile. Many like the Ren on Wacker, but as was previously mentioned, I find it noisy.
Originally Posted by ohmark
Stayed a number of times at the Ren on Wacker. All, but once, upgraded to suite with view. Never had a noise problem.
Thanks both. When you say FS is that the Chicago Marriott Downtown or the Four Seasons? Getting a bit confused!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:16 pm

I believe everything in downtown Chicago is going up by 1 category. Except I guess the JW and the RC
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ellie_nz
Thanks both. When you say FS is that the Chicago Marriott Downtown or the Four Seasons? Getting a bit confused!
On the Marriott forum FS refers to full-service Marriott properties, so yes the Chicago Marriott downtown.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:54 am

Just made a reservation for two nights next month. The JW was much less expensive than the FS, RI, SHS, Ren and/or CY. Is there something going on at the JW that would make we want to not stay there? Major construction? Protests outside the building? A swingers' convention?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.