Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 5:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile - Stay Report 5/4 - 5/5

Location: This location can't be beat as it's a mere two block walk to the Grand CTA Red Line Station and near so many restaurants I can't even name them. The hotel sits between Michigan, Rush and Grand so pretty much anything in downtown Chicago is within a mile way. Well worth the rate.

Hotel: The hotel is an impressively sized, if somewhat older building. The lobby is a piece of art featuring a large bar in the center of a high ceilinged, well lit room. However, as the hotel is always full of people, navigating to the bell desk, check in desks, elevators etc. can be confusing. Also, the signs of which way to turn when you leave the elevator are in an annoying spot so I kept going the wrong way.

Check-In: I was with my brother who is a Marriott Gold so I was excited to see what if anything we were offered. We were moved to the Concierge Floor (42nd) though naturally the lounge was closed on weekends. Apparently at this hotel there is no substitute breakfast. Still, we were allowed to check in at 10:30 AM and offered TWO bottles of water so that's something. The agent was helpful too.

Room: Our room was a pretty standard one on the 42nd floor, though it did have an amazing view. The beds were comfortable and the wifi worked well though it was hard to find outlets and the fixtures were feeling a bit old. Plus the TV was fairly small and the bathroom even smaller with a fairly crappy shower.

Other: Leaving our bags with the bell desk went fine and the staff there were very friendly.

The rate was $199 for the night and while the location was worth it, I was a little disappointed how this hotel treats its Golds. Still, I'd happily come back again if I was going to be doing a lot in this area.

Last edited by CMK10; Jun 2, 2014 at 5:43 pm Reason: Numerous typos
Old May 6, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The Mag Mile FS is one of my favorite hotels. Glad you liked it.

With that said, your rate was pretty good. Often, it's much more expensive. Recently, I stayed at the SHS a couple blocks away. (The RI is the same hotel, each floor having both types of rooms on either side.) When I was there, the difference was almost $200/night. The SHS also has a beautiful view from the higher floors and is ritzy, by SHS standards.

When the price is close, I'll continue to stay at the FS. When there is a difference, the SHS is a very good, nearby option.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:47 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Just stayed at both halves of the combined SpringHill / Residence Inn River North...

SpringHill
  • Very attentive service at FD and breakfast
  • "VIP Card" for Plats that gets you into the Residence Inn's evening hospitality hour
  • Was doing some work in the lobby one night and the manager offered me a drink so I wouldn't have to get up
  • Entire place was surprisngly quiet even when packed with people
  • When you're not upgraded high enough, the view isn't that great - tho I did have a tiny sliver of a lake view
  • Why would someone choose light colored carpeting for a hotel room? Everything was clean but the carpet was getting worn/dingy
  • Shower leaked badly

Residence Inn
  • Very attentive service at FD and breakfast
  • Very early check-in
  • Darker carpet, looked fresher
  • Refrigerator worked very well
  • One of those annoying HVAC layouts where the fan blows directly at the bed
  • Shower less leaky but still not great
  • Even a low floor was quiet

I would go back to either. All else being equal, the RI was nicer.

Location was better than I expected for work. From the Blue Line (O'Hare), it's about 4 blocks walking. There's a quiet 24 hour Kinko's within a few blocks. And I ended up taking the bus a few times, since several lines that cut thru downtown stop very close to the hotel.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hertz PC,National EE,Hilton Diamond,Marriott Titanium, AS Gold 75K, DL Platinum
Hi! Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Oakbrook/Chicago? (not resort location) Ive read some reviews.. Some good some bad.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Collin03
Hi! Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Oakbrook/Chicago? (not resort location) Ive read some reviews.. Some good some bad.
Thanks in advance!
Been a couple of years ago, but the company I used to work for was headquartered in that area and I split time between the Marriott and Renaissance (now gone) in Oakbrook. My take may be out of date, depending on what happened there since November 2011 on my last visit.

The Marriott is perfectly adequate, nothing that makes it a fantastic standout, but nothing that detracts terribly either. I was always staying during the week, so cannot speak to what happens on weekends. Rooms were the usual arrangement, but were always clean and well maintained. The staff were helpful and friendly - one gentleman volunteered to go to the employee's lounge to get me a cup of coffee when I had to leave very early in the morning and they had not yet opened the lounge or set up the lobby coffee.

The CL is on the ground floor, behind the bar. For breakfast, you could take your seat in the lounge and get juice, coffee, tea, etc. in the lounge. Then, exited the lounge and went to the regular restaurant breakfast buffet, and took the food back into the lounge to eat. Sort of a different arrangement, but it seemed to work.

The hotel is across 22nd Street from the mall, where there are several restaurants and some entertainment options. Crossing 22nd can sometimes be aerobic exercise, considering some drivers forget that one is supposed to stop for red lights. There was a good Italian restaurant on the same side of 22nd as the hotel, in an adjacent building, so it was possible to venture out to dinner without crossing the street.

There is a shuttle van that will drop you off at the office buildings in the area, but be sure to make arrangements the evening before. It doesn't run to the airport(s), though, so if you're without a car, you'll need a taxi.

Very nice exercise facility - relatively spacious and a variety of machines/weights. Did not use the pool, but they do have one (I think).
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hertz PC,National EE,Hilton Diamond,Marriott Titanium, AS Gold 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by ExArkie
Been a couple of years ago, but the company I used to work for was headquartered in that area and I split time between the Marriott and Renaissance (now gone) in Oakbrook. My take may be out of date, depending on what happened there since November 2011 on my last visit.

The Marriott is perfectly adequate, nothing that makes it a fantastic standout, but nothing that detracts terribly either. I was always staying during the week, so cannot speak to what happens on weekends. Rooms were the usual arrangement, but were always clean and well maintained. The staff were helpful and friendly - one gentleman volunteered to go to the employee's lounge to get me a cup of coffee when I had to leave very early in the morning and they had not yet opened the lounge or set up the lobby coffee.

The CL is on the ground floor, behind the bar. For breakfast, you could take your seat in the lounge and get juice, coffee, tea, etc. in the lounge. Then, exited the lounge and went to the regular restaurant breakfast buffet, and took the food back into the lounge to eat. Sort of a different arrangement, but it seemed to work.

The hotel is across 22nd Street from the mall, where there are several restaurants and some entertainment options. Crossing 22nd can sometimes be aerobic exercise, considering some drivers forget that one is supposed to stop for red lights. There was a good Italian restaurant on the same side of 22nd as the hotel, in an adjacent building, so it was possible to venture out to dinner without crossing the street.

There is a shuttle van that will drop you off at the office buildings in the area, but be sure to make arrangements the evening before. It doesn't run to the airport(s), though, so if you're without a car, you'll need a taxi.

Very nice exercise facility - relatively spacious and a variety of machines/weights. Did not use the pool, but they do have one (I think).
Awesome thank you for your fast response. And it doesn't look like this location has valet is that correct?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Collin03
Awesome thank you for your fast response. And it doesn't look like this location has valet is that correct?
Honestly, I don't remember...maybe an unconscious attempt to forget trips to corporate HQ? I don't think it does.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by billycwhatup
I'm at the property now - checked in today for the first time ever. I'll do a longer review after I leave, but early thoughts:
  • I was upgraded to a huge suite that is just plain wonderful.
  • I am traveling with my two little boys (just a "guys trip" while my wife is visiting friends). So, I decided to send a suitcase for the three of us to the hotel so I wouldn't have to carry it on the plane. All was smooth until I was hit with a $25 "hold fee" when I arrvied. Even the bell stand claimed to be shocked. We'll see where the story ends tomorrow, but that ain't right.
  • The mini-fridge is one of those that triggers a charge if you look at a drink for too long. After inquiring, they quickly sent up a separate fridge. Very nice.
  • No lounge open on weekends, no breakfast love for platinums.
  • Great hotel so far, perfect location. Unobstruted view of the Sears Tower (won't call it the Willis Tower) and one of the best bathrooms I've seen in any hotel. Period.
Heading to Chicago and trying to chose between the JW and the Ren. No meetings, just playing tourist. Couldn't tell which one this review was discussing.

Any recommendations?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Has anyone stayed at the new Fairfield Inn - River North? Looks pretty nice and is a downright bargain for River North neighborhood.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:36 am
Suspended

Hello Fters,

Completely new to Chicago (first trip). How's the JW location compared with Ren? Is upgrades likely at either property?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Minneapolis
Has anyone stayed at the new Fairfield Inn - River North? Looks pretty nice and is a downright bargain for River North neighborhood.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by kikid
Hello Fters,
Completely new to Chicago (first trip). How's the JW location compared with Ren? Is upgrades likely at either property?
Depends on what your visit is for. For general touring location, I think most folks would prefer the Ren on Wacker. Located on the River, with shopping and restaurants galore fairly close. Many rooms with magnificent views. The Ren Blackstone has the Art Institute nearby but is somewhat isolated from restaurants, particularly at night. (Many, but not all, nearby restaurants are coffee-shop type which are not open at night.) The JW is in a more business oriented neighborhood.
I've frequently, but not always, received suite upgrades at the Ren on Wacker. Never at the Blackstone.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ditto Ren .. Stayed in a very nice river view room with views across the river to the "Corn Cobs" Easy walking most places.. trivial CTA everywhere else..

Blackstone is also in an interesting place, Never stayed there but want to given proximity to Millennium Park..
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Blackstone is also in an interesting place, Never stayed there but want to given proximity to Millennium Park..
The Blackstone is unique and gorgeous, plus the staff is awesome. With that said, IMO, don't stay there for your first trip to Chicago. It's in an older, less vibrant part of downtown. Those few blocks can make a difference in whether you get the fun Chicago experience of walking out the door and finding shops, restaurants and tourist attractions all around you.

FWIW, I'd do the Ren for a first trip to Chicago, although I really like the MagMile FS location better, and find the rooms a little quieter. And a recent stay at the SHS/RI location really sold me on those hotels, although the rooms are a little more stark and you don't get the other amenities of the FS properties.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Checked into the Spring Hill Suite River North. I had very low expectations as I had only ever stayed at an SHS once in a suburban location. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. The hotel is a high rise and shares space with the Residence Inn.
  • Large room with king bed, with room to move around
  • Free high speed that actually worked
  • Room had a micro and a small fridge. They also left a few paper plate and plastic silverware in the micro
  • Walk in glass shower
  • Never heard anyone else while there
  • A plug by the bedside table (this is a major plus that seems missing from so many hotels)
  • Platinum and got to attend the RI happy hour
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.