Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I heard on the radio that a 4th person died from this one? Cant seem to see it on Google....
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Package cheaper than regular room?

I'm going to completely rephrase this question...

I found a deal at Oak Brook Hills Marriott, but it seems too good to be true. Basically it's a romance package in a 2 room suite for $159 a night, when the regular 2 room suite is going for $214 a night. What's the catch? Is this a glitch on the website?

Last edited by lovely15; Oct 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Is it a typical business Marriott around an office Park on a weekend? Oak Brook sounds pretty suburban.

I once booked a romance package for a 3 day stay over Christmas just outside of Washington DC for $109 per night including champagne/roses/chocolates. Was even upgraded to the Presidential Suite when I mentioned I might be proposing. Cancelled at the last minute to stay with family.

Rate seems very plausible to me and smart by local management to drum up business.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
It's actually kind of out in the middle of nowhere, although Oak Brook itself is definitely a business suburb.

It didn't seem all that off (compared to the $1 Ritz thread I found here) but just the fact the package is less than the regular rate leaves me wondering. I guess I'll find out when I get there!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lovely15
I'm going to completely rephrase this question...

I found a deal at Oak Brook Hills Marriott, but it seems too good to be true. Basically it's a romance package in a 2 room suite for $159 a night, when the regular 2 room suite is going for $214 a night. What's the catch? Is this a glitch on the website?
What Joshua said.

BTW - you can always call the property to confirm that it's a valid rate (leaving out the part where the normal suite rate is higher). If it's valid, yours not to reason why etc...

Cheers.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Help with a Chicago decision

Going to Chicago to visit family who live in Wrigleyville from December 28 - Jan 3rd. We thought we would stay downtown and ride the red line every day. It looks like we can book either the Renaissance Blackstone at 636 S Michigan or the Courtyard/River North on 30 East Hubbard for just about the same price. Being platinum, our wifi should be free at the Renaissance. The lounge will probably be closed most of the time. Those of you that know these properties, which should we pick? (Both are .2 mile from the red line)

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Jan
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Jan778
Going to Chicago to visit family who live in Wrigleyville from December 28 - Jan 3rd. We thought we would stay downtown and ride the red line every day. It looks like we can book either the Renaissance Blackstone at 636 S Michigan or the Courtyard/River North on 30 East Hubbard for just about the same price. Being platinum, our wifi should be free at the Renaissance. The lounge will probably be closed most of the time. Those of you that know these properties, which should we pick? (Both are .2 mile from the red line)

Jan
The CY (any CY) is not an alternative for many FT'ers - but regardless, the Renn is an excellent choice.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
It looks like we can book either the Renaissance Blackstone at 636 S Michigan or the Courtyard/River North on 30 East Hubbard for just about the same price.
I'm not familiar with either property; but, location-wise, they're pretty different (South Loop/Printer's Row vs. River North). Other than going back-and-forth to Wrigleyville, are you ever going to go into the neighborhood in which your hotel is?

Also, not that it is that big of a difference; but, if you're heading to Wrigleyville everyday, the Renaissance will add 4 more stops (maybe +6 mins.) each way.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
We will be pretty much just going to Wrigleyville each day - maybe catching a breakfast near our hotel in the morning. (new grand daughter to spend our time with)

Which area would be nicer? The extra 6 minutes was good to know.

Jan
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:20 pm

Jan
Personally, I wouldn't book a Marriott hotel in Chicago given the wealth of fantastic choices, but if it is a similar price, I'd recommend the Renaissance on Wacker. You're still within a block of the red line, but you get the more dynamic River North area with the comfort of a 4-star hotel. The Loop is pretty quiet on weekends and wouldn't be my first choice when traveling with a kid. Also the Ren on Wacker has plenty of suites and can typically upgrade Platinums to them with ease.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Either Renaissance should provide you breakfast on most of the days of your stay. In my experience, when they've closed a lounge due to low occupancy during Thanksgiving or Christmas week, they err on the generous side in terms of what they give you instead. I've stayed at Renns over holidays where they gave us breakfast certs for all days (including the weekend or holiday), plus threw in drink or appetizer chits to account for the lack of an evening lounge. But at a minimum, you should get breakfast the weekdays of your stay.

The Ren on Wacker is well-known as a good property. Don't know much about Blackstone but I would imagine that it is good as well. Agree with nba1017 that the Wacker location is probably more fun...essentially River North.

Friends don't let (Gold/Platinum) friends stay at Courtyard.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How are you planning to get to Chicago? Fly? Take public transportation from the airport? Will you be in the suburbs during the evening and return to the hotel late, only to sleep? If you will have a car, yours or rental, don't forget to consider parking costs. Also think about whether you will be comfortable using public transportation late at night and then walking back to your hotel.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Agree with the previous posts. The Ren on Wacker is a great property and a much better location than the Blackstone. There would not be much to do immediately around the Blackstone after 5pm and on weekends. The Ren on Wacker is also a one-block walk to the red line Lake station. The CY River North is a great location on Hubbard for restaurants/bars/nightlife and an easy walk to shopping on Michigan Ave, but it is a CY as others have commented.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
I stayed at the Renaissance Blackstone in July. I actually walked away less than impressed. The room was nice, nothing spectacular. We stayed from a Thursday - Monday and didn't receive an upgrade (given a room with the view of the city; rather than the park and lake). The location was good for us as we wanted to be near Michigan Ave. for the Taste of Chicago. Also this hotel had one of the worst concierge lounges that I have ever been too. The food that they put out was really below what I would expect of a Renaissance especially one in a big city. The first night that we were there the dinner was chicken soup with bits of beef in it. The rest of the meals served in the lounge weren't as bad as the beef/chicken soup but nothing too impressive. I have stayed in a couple different FS Marriott, JW, and Renaissance this year and while each have offered a little bit different in their lounges the Blackstone offered the least amount of food and the lowest quality.

If you need to be up near Wrigelyville I would probably recommend staying farther up North.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
The OP needs a hotel to spend time with a new grandbaby.

Based on experience, I am thinking night life and good restaurants are not important, or even a point of consideration. Breakfast and a good hotel at a great price are...the closer to Wrigleyville the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.