Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Saw this pop up on the website; opening February 2014:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

This property has changed flags quite a bit and is currently the Hotel Sax; it was previously independent, then part of Thompson; then a transition to Kimpton two years ago fell through so I believe it's been independent again for awhile.
This is now categorized as a Cat 7 hotel, was hoping for 6 - although not available on the date I was looking for anyways.

June 10th, staying at the Ren Blackstone instead (just opened availability yesterday!), although hoping for the FFI River North to open up before that goes up to Cat 6 as well
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by crimsona
This is now categorized as a Cat 7 hotel, was hoping for 6 - although not available on the date I was looking for anyways.

June 10th, staying at the Ren Blackstone instead (just opened availability yesterday!), although hoping for the FFI River North to open up before that goes up to Cat 6 as well
The FFI River North is going to Cat 6 on March 15th.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
The FFI River North is going to Cat 6 on March 15th.
It will now be the same category as the SHS/RI? I feel for anyone who books the FI for points when the SHS/RI can be had at the same rate. It's like buying a used Yugo when, for the same money, you can have a loaded, top of the line 2014 Chevy Impala. Or eating food from the refrigerator case at a 7/11 when, for the same money, you could eat a fresh meal at a great local restaurant next door.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:07 pm

Then I hope a room opens up in the next month!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
It will now be the same category as the SHS/RI? I feel for anyone who books the FI for points when the SHS/RI can be had at the same rate. It's like buying a used Yugo when, for the same money, you can have a loaded, top of the line 2014 Chevy Impala. Or eating food from the refrigerator case at a 7/11 when, for the same money, you could eat a fresh meal at a great local restaurant next door.
Yes. After the Fairfield changes over, there will be no more Cat 5 properties in downtown Chicago. Unless of course one goes down in the future, which is highly unlikely.

The Fairfield was a good option for using the Cat 1-5 bonus certs. I wouldn't choose that property if I was paying with points however.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I wouldn't choose that property if I was paying with points however.
Personally, I wouldn't chose that FI if it were a choice between it and sharing a grate on the street during an ice storm with seven people who hadn't showered in weeks. If I were to find out the sole entrance to the Pearly Gates was located in that hotel and required checking in, I'd chose to spend eternity elsewhere. And I stay in many FIs.

Had I never stayed in that hotel, though, Marriott would likely not have a Feather Free Room policy. When Marriott started dealing with that hotel on the issue, I was told there would never be such a policy. Shortly after Marriott tried and was frustrated at the hotel's incompetence, the Feather Free room policy was created and, without my asking, noted as a preference on my account. I cannot believe the two things were unrelated. As part of that FI's defense of its incompetence, the hotel manager indicated the problem with their inability to prepared the room correctly or correct their mistake was the fact I'm not Christian. Yep. Somehow the manager brought that up and indicated that was the problem.

Last edited by CJKatl; Feb 12, 2014 at 7:26 am
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:57 am

Personally, I wouldn't chose that FI if it were a choice between it and sharing a grate on the street during an ice storm with seven people who hadn't showered in weeks. If I were to find out the sole entrance to the Pearly Gates was located in that hotel and required checking in, I'd chose to spend eternity elsewhere. And I stay in many FIs.

Had I never stayed in that hotel, though, Marriott would likely not have a Feather Free Room policy. When Marriott started dealing with that hotel on the issue, I was told there would never be such a policy. Shortly after Marriott tried and was frustrated at the hotel's incompetence, the Feather Free room policy was created and, without my asking, noted as a preference on my account. I cannot believe the two things were unrelated. As part of that FI's defense of its incompetence, the hotel manager indicated the problem with their inability to prepared the room correctly or correct their mistake was the fact I'm not Christian. Yep. Somehow the manager brought that up and indicated that was the problem.
That's a pretty atrocious way to handle customers. I've stayed there before and don't have any complaints, but I'm easy to please. In fact, I thought the customer service was on par with the Park Hyatt Chicago.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My brother and his wife will be staying one night at ORD this summer. They have a free night and can stay at either:

Courtyard ORD
Residence Inn ORD
Springhill Suites ORD

Any thoughts on which they should pick?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
My brother and his wife will be staying one night at ORD this summer. They have a free night and can stay at either:

Courtyard ORD
Residence Inn ORD
Springhill Suites ORD

I am a big SHS fan in general, but was not blown away by that particular SHS. It's in what appears to be a musty old office building on the highway. The parking set up is strange and the area seemed a little downtrodden. I haven't stayed at the other two, so it might be the best of the three. There was nothing wrong with the hotel, but after staying there, I wasn't rushing back.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Courtyard ORD
Residence Inn ORD
Springhill Suites ORD

I've stayed at the SHS ORD a few times, as rates are usually good especially on the weekend. Staff is nice. I'm assuming they have a Cat 1-4 cert. If they've got a Cat 1-5, then I'd recommend the Ren Suites ORD, which is now my go-to place if rates are low on weekend & SHS is my back-up. Haven't stayed at CY or RI ORD, so can't provide feedback on those.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks. I passed on some reservations about that SHS as I've ridden by it a lot on the CTA and on I-94 and it always looked a little rundown and the neighborhood is somewhat seedy. I've got him monitoring the thread now too ^
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I passed on some reservations about that SHS as I've ridden by it a lot on the CTA and on I-94 and it always looked a little rundown and the neighborhood is somewhat seedy. I've got him monitoring the thread now too ^
Is the SHS not in the parking lot adjacent to the Marriott FS ORD?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Is the SHS not in the parking lot adjacent to the Marriott FS ORD?
No. It's this hotel. It seems like an old office building that was converted into a hotel, with a very cramped lobby. There is a very narrow driveway in front of the property, a chain link fence surrounding it (if I rember correctly) with a very narrow road between the lot and the highway, so it's very, very close to the highway. The lobby has a small Outback Steak House on the side. The hallways are dim. While there was nothing wrong with the property, with so many better Marriott options in the area, it's not on my list for a repeat stay.

As Sharon mentioned, the Ren Suites (Cat 5) is awesome. The Marriott Suites (Cat 5) is nice. The Schaumburg FS (Cat 3) is very nice, and the Elmhurst SHS (Cat 3) is nice. If it's an up-to-Cat 5 cert, the Ren Suites would be my choice. If it's an up-to-Cat 4 cert, the Schaumburg FS would be my choice. But the OP indicated the brother had already narrowed it down to the three hotels listed.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:03 am

As Sharon mentioned, the Ren Suites (Cat 5) is awesome. The Marriott Suites (Cat 5) is nice. The Schaumburg FS (Cat 3) is very nice, and the Elmhurst SHS (Cat 3) is nice. If it's an up-to-Cat 5 cert, the Ren Suites would be my choice. If it's an up-to-Cat 4 cert, the Schaumburg FS would be my choice. But the OP indicated the brother had already narrowed it down to the three hotels listed.
Looks like it's an up-to-Cat-4 Cert. I think I can suggest the Schaumburg FS. Do they have a shuttle?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No. The Schaumburg FS (where I have stayed dozens of times) is a long way from ORD, with no hotel-provided transportation.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.