Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Print Wikipost

Copenhagen Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

In looking at early June 2018 dates, the hotel shows no availability. I can get a forced booking due to status for a breathtaking $600/night. It's still 11 months away. Has anyone had experience with this hotel showing booked solid and then becoming available, ideally for award redemption?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
In looking at early June 2018 dates, the hotel shows no availability. I can get a forced booking due to status for a breathtaking $600/night. It's still 11 months away. Has anyone had experience with this hotel showing booked solid and then becoming available, ideally for award redemption?
I would imagine that is in connection with one of the major cruise passenger days. Several ships switching passengers in Copenhagen over a few days. That usually causes the Marriott to be booked solid. I would not expect award nights to open if that is the case.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've had experiences with this hotel being unavailable for booking on Marriott.com and even most other channels but still turn up available closer to intended stay date on even Priceline NYOP bookings for well below $300/night.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
If you do a flexible date search it shows no availability from May 1 onward. I would guess they have not loaded inventory past April 30. While holding back inventory is rare, it does happen with a few hotels. I'd check back weekly and would imagine inventory will show up once it is loaded.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
If you do a flexible date search it shows no availability from May 1 onward. I would guess they have not loaded inventory past April 30. While holding back inventory is rare, it does happen with a few hotels. I'd check back weekly and would imagine inventory will show up once it is loaded.
Thank you. I'll do that. The Marriott plat agent called the hotel and staff there simply said they were busy due to it being summer. I like your thinking better.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Being sold out for all of May is just not part of the history of this property, so if that is how it is, then I would be certain your "guess" is indicative of the hotel not having loaded rates for a period at least.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Try the Renaissance in Malmo or the other Marriott by the airport.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
The AC Bella Sky in Copenhagen is the third Marriott in the region
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Just remember that the R in Malmö is about 30 minutes from central Copenhagen.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Just remember that the R in Malmö is about 30 minutes from central Copenhagen.
I guess it depends on how you get around and what you consider central Copenhagen, but 30 minutes would be about as good as it could get in terms of time between the Renaissance Malmo and Copenhagen airport.

Depending on the purpose of the stay and the cost, some Malmo options may make sense. For a decent place to sleep that is very convenient to the airport and central Copenhagen, I would include the Quality View hotel in Malmo. It's a bit less than 15 minutes to/from the airport by train and in June I have been seeing this for $90-$150/night; and it's at least as good or better than the Radisson properties in Copenhagen (in terms of plant/service). Personally, I am frequently indifferent between staying at the Copenhagen Marriott and the Quality View Malmo-Hyllie hotel, but the huge price difference makes a difference. And if Marriott Platinum or Gold status wasn't in hand, I'd be even less likely to use the Copenhagen Marriott.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 13, 2017 at 7:13 am
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I guess it depends on how you get around and what you consider central Copenhagen, but 30 minutes would be about as good as it could get in terms of time between the Renaissance Malmo and Copenhagen airport.

Depending on the purpose of the stay and the cost, some Malmo options may make sense. For a decent place to sleep that is very convenient to the airport and central Copenhagen, I would include the Quality View hotel in Malmo. It's a bit less than 15 minutes to/from the airport by train and in June I have been seeing this for $90-$150/night; and it's at least as good or better than the Radisson properties in Copenhagen (in terms of plant/service). Personally, I am frequently indifferent between staying at the Copenhagen Marriott and the Quality View Malmo-Hyllie hotel, but the huge price difference makes a difference. And if Marriott Platinum or Gold status wasn't in hand, I'd be even less likely to use the Copenhagen Marriott.
If the destination is Copenhagen for a few days, and every morning would require a trios across Øresund Renaissance is just way too far away for me. Kind of like staying in Oakland and having business in San Mateo.

I am not oblivious to the price level and faults of the Marriott, and there are a number of alternatives in Copenhagen, but putting Malmö as a practical alternative is not really a viable suggestion.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:10 am

It is not available either nor or any of the Club Carlson properties in Copenhagen. I've used HotelHustle.com to set up alerts for several hotels to get a notification should they become available.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:29 pm
Suspended

If the destination is Copenhagen for a few days, and every morning would require a trios across Øresund Renaissance is just way too far away for me. Kind of like staying in Oakland and having business in San Mateo.

I am not oblivious to the price level and faults of the Marriott, and there are a number of alternatives in Copenhagen, but putting Malmö as a practical alternative is not really a viable suggestion.
When comparing the cost and quality of the accommodations, 12 minutes to cross a bridge is no big deal for many people when it means saving a good chunk of money and then some and getting more value for the buck. Especially for those who may previously have considered using Hilton points for the Copenhagen airport hotel.

Going between Oakland and San Mateo is a world of difference than going between CPH and Malmo. I've done a lot of going between Oakland and San Mateo, and it's a pain on a league unlike going between CPH and some Malmo hotels -- something I do multiple times a month. But I'm talking mostly of one night stays or two night stays. If it was a three night stay and I had packed schedules from dawn to dusk in Copenhagen then I'd be shifting the balance back toward Copenhagen hotels. But even from the AC Bella Sky, it's not like I'm necessarily doing way better on those 3+ night trips than using some hotels in Malmo.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 13, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When comparing the cost and quality of the accommodations, 12 minutes to cross a bridge is no big deal for many people when it means saving a good chunk of money and then some and getting more value for the buck. Especially for those who may previously have considered using Hilton points for the Copenhagen airport hotel.

Going between Oakland and San Mateo is a world of difference than going between CPH and Malmo. I've done a lot of going between Oakland and San Mateo, and it's a pain on a league unlike going between CPH and some Malmo hotels -- something I do multiple times a month. But I'm talking mostly of one night stays or two night stays. If it was a three night stay and I had packed schedules from dawn to dusk in Copenhagen then I'd be shifting the balance back toward Copenhagen hotels. But even from the AC Bella Sky, it's not like I'm necessarily doing way better on those 3+ night trips than using some hotels in Malmo.
I was not talking about going to the airport, but needing to be in the city. If people are just there for a night, and then need to be in the airport, it does not do much of a difference. But if they have a daily schedule somewhere in Copenhagen, then the 45 minute drive (at zero traffic) from the Renaissance would be a nuisance at best. Also as a taxi would add a fairly hefty bridge fee both directions. Public transport might not require much more time if the location in Copenhagen is good but may also require far more.
The 12 minutes across the bridge is literally that, just the bridge. Or should I shay bridge and tunnel.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:44 am
Suspended

I was not talking about going to the airport, but needing to be in the city. If people are just there for a night, and then need to be in the airport, it does not do much of a difference. But if they have a daily schedule somewhere in Copenhagen, then the 45 minute drive (at zero traffic) from the Renaissance would be a nuisance at best. Also as a taxi would add a fairly hefty bridge fee both directions. Public transport might not require much more time if the location in Copenhagen is good but may also require far more.
The 12 minutes across the bridge is literally that, just the bridge. Or should I shay bridge and tunnel.
I was also talking about being in Copenhagen somewhere beyond just the airport.

Drive, to go from the Renaissance to central Copenhagen? I would think that most of that summer traffic to go from the Renaissance to Copenhagen would be by rail -- at least by measure of what I see at this hotel.

I wasn't limiting my hotel reference to just the Renaissance Malmo. Rather I was referring to hotels in Sweden even more convenient to Copenhagen than the Renaissance. Some of those Swedish hotels are as conveniently located (or even more convenient) for my Copenhagen trips (beyond just the airport) as some Copenhagen hotels; and it's such that a 12-15 minute trip to cross the bridge really doesn't change a whole lot -- especially for those who would have previously considered staying at the Hilton CPH (when it was a Hilton) or even Copenhagen's Radisson Falconer (closed now), even if only having activities to do in Copenhagen over multiple days.

There are Copenhagen visitor profiles -- even for those who only have activities to do in Copenhagen on their multi-night trip -- where staying in Sweden actually makes decent sense, financially and even otherwise. But factoring in the time and convenience to get around and the costs of hotels and transport should be done. Especially for those on leisure trips who may be having luggage to take around and thinking of using just public transit rather than primarily taxis/cars.

If I had heavy wheeled luggage and was planning on using just public transit on a Copenhagen visit say last June, I would then rather have had my room at the Quality hotel at Malmo-Hyllie than at the Radisson Falconer in central Copenhagen. Not only would it have saved big bucks, it would also be more convenient than dealing with dragging luggage on some pathways and trying to avoid getting hit by bicycles near repair zones around some Metro stations. Unfortunately for my acquaintances, it was yet another time when all the hotels in Malmo were sold out while most of the Danish hotels were sold out or close to it.

And when all of Malmo's hotels appear sold out, staying in Copenhagen also may make good sense, even if only having business in Malmo. It's a two way traffic, as hotels on either side of the bridge do get sold out (or close to it) at various times of the year -- often even when one side of the bridge is sold out while the other is not. And it's not necessarily all that inconvenient to stay on one side of a bridge while having business only on the other side of a bridge, speaking of the Oresundsbro. It routinely takes me more time to go from the Copenhagen Marriott to CPH airport than to go from the Quality View Malmo to CPH airport.

It is more like staying in Brooklyn or Hoboken to visit Manhattan but without those NY/NJ road traffic hassles to get into Manhattan.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 14, 2017 at 1:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.