FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Print Wikipost

Copenhagen Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Gold
Don't Expect Much

Stayed here for one night in advance of a cruise out of Copenhagen. Most of the hotel was doing the same. I was on a points booking and as a Titanium was upgraded to a view of the river. The front desk manager was rude and refused to upgrade to a suite even though they were available, telling me he wanted to keep them to try to sell. They went unsold... Executive lounge was fine, nothing to write home about. Overall a generic Marriott with unexceptional staff. That being said, the location was good and the hotel served its purpose. I would stay there again under the same circumstances but with low expectations.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
My rule of thumb is that any hotel is likely to hold out its top 5% or more of room inventory—those won’t be included in the standard suite pool either for SNAs or for complimentary enhanced room upgrades at check in.

No one is surprised that the StR New York or any other luxury hotel excludes its top 5-10% suites from the SNA or complimentary standard suite pool for upgrades; the difference is that the StR New York is a luxury hotel with 61 suites (36%) out of 171 total rooms, so holding back its top 5-10% of rooms still leaves plenty of suites available for the SNA and check in standard suite pool.

This Marriott hotel has a whopping 389 total rooms and only 17 total suites for a paltry 4.4% suite proportion. It therefore should surprise no one that this hotel doesn’t include any of its suites in the SNA or complimentary standard suite pool.
BrightlyBob likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Yep, bhrubin - tiny suite percentage means suite upgrades are a rarity here. Hotels will always try to keep back a few suites on the night in the hope they’ll sell last minute, and to use as “service recovery” in the event of a problem with a room necessitating moving a guest.

Personally I really like this property, great location and views, with a good lounge, it’s one of my favourite Marriotts...
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by joshsam
Stayed here for one night in advance of a cruise out of Copenhagen. Most of the hotel was doing the same. I was on a points booking and as a Titanium was upgraded to a view of the river. The front desk manager was rude and refused to upgrade to a suite even though they were available, telling me he wanted to keep them to try to sell. They went unsold... Executive lounge was fine, nothing to write home about. Overall a generic Marriott with unexceptional staff. That being said, the location was good and the hotel served its purpose. I would stay there again under the same circumstances but with low expectations.
The AC Bella Sky did exactly the same to me. Seems like a pattern developing in Copenhagen properties unfortunately.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by joshsam
That also raises the question of what suites are considered standard suites and included in the upgrade offer at the Copenhagen Marriott, and what suites were available? Suite may be available, and the hotel are perfectly within the rules without upgrading to it.

I have been to nicer Marriott lounges around Asia, but in the US I have yet to encounter anything that comes even remotely close in terms of food and beverages.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I stayed at this property a little bit ago, and wanted to share my experience. Overall, I was happy with the stay.

As an Ambassador, I was upgraded to the top floor with a view of the river. There were no suites showing for sale on the night of my check in, so I didn't ask about a further upgrade.

The room was nice -- fairly typical Marriott, but more spacious, and in impeccable condition. There was a safe and a stocked mini-bar, which had a little bit of room for your personal items. The mini-bar is the "automatic" variety, so I didn't try to move any of the included items to create more space. The bathroom had a shower and a completely separate tub.

The fitness center was excellent. Lots of well maintained equipment...plenty even at peak hours. There is what appears to be a regular faucet for water, but it is actually filtered, so that was nice.

The concierge lounge (on the ground floor) was quite impressive. It's very large, and has 3 rather distinct seating areas. I visited twice for breakfast...each time there were "core" items, but some of the items were swapped out each day to create variety. For example, the first morning had cheese wrapped salami (as amazing as it sounds ) and on the second morning, they had chorizo instead. Both hot items in the evening were different each night I visited, and they were quite tasty. Similar to breakfast, even on the common items in the evening, they had some variation. For example, each evening they had a cold fish item, and on one night it was salmon and the other night it was...not salmon...sorry I forget what it was. Similarly, the cheeses each evening were different, and even the jam they had was different. They had free beer and (poor, imho) wine. Despite the wording on the card they give at checkin regarding lounge hours and services. bottled soft drinks are available all day. No bottled water is available. There is no dessert service after the evening spread, but they put out desserts for the 3pm "tea service", and those seemed to last just past the end of the evening spread. Although the rules state food and beverages are to be consumed in the lounge only, they were making reasonable accommodations, e.g., allowing guests to take out a partially consumed bottle of soda.

While I did not dine at the restaurant, the menu looked good and very reasonably priced, especially for a hotel restaurant.

Oh, they had actual US CNN, which was nice...I am not very fond of the international version.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
No-suite policy

Recently, the check-in agent at the Copenhagen Marriott informed me that they have a no-suite upgrade policy, even for Bonvoy Ambassadors. This remains the case even if the hotel is empty, since it is a blanket policy. It turns out that this is consistent with the current Bonvoy T&Cs which are slightly different from the SPG T&Cs in this regard, and offer flexibility to hotels to identify a limit to whatever category of rooms they wish to upgrade Ambassadors. I suppose it is a revenue management consideration, and also explains the reviews on this thread voicing discontent on the absence of a suite upgrade. Having said that, I have found the rooms to be perfectly adequate, and the lounge quite pleasant.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Sphinx
Recently, the check-in agent at the Copenhagen Marriott informed me that they have a no-suite upgrade policy, even for Bonvoy Ambassadors. This remains the case even if the hotel is empty, since it is a blanket policy. It turns out that this is consistent with the current Bonvoy T&Cs which are slightly different from the SPG T&Cs in this regard, and offer flexibility to hotels to identify a limit to whatever category of rooms they wish to upgrade Ambassadors. I suppose it is a revenue management consideration, and also explains the reviews on this thread voicing discontent on the absence of a suite upgrade. Having said that, I have found the rooms to be perfectly adequate, and the lounge quite pleasant.
That is consistent with my recent experiences at the CPH Marriott.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Let’s hope as many Marriott elites as possible read the hotel’s message about them not wanting them to stay.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Interesting. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite back in May (2019) for five nights with SNAs. We faced Tivoli, which turned out to be an entertaining view day and night. Perhaps a rare circumstance in my Marriott life since I struggle to get upgraded in empty Fairfield Inns in central Iowa.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
That is consistent with my recent experiences at the CPH Marriott.
Seems like it’s becoming a trend in Copenhagen with my experience at the Bella Sky. Basically the terms and conditions allow hotels to do as they please. For me, as a leisure traveller, I can choose the cities I visit so in future I’ll simply avoid Copenhagen. For those on business, hopefully suites won’t matter as much.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
#LurkerInvestigation
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
There is no point as the lurkers backed the hotel and basically said they can decide which rooms, if any, are in the upgrade pool. Long gone are those SPG days...
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
There is no point as the lurkers backed the hotel and basically said they can decide which rooms, if any, are in the upgrade pool. Long gone are those SPG days...
The hotel can decide which rooms, but can they also decide zero suites? Apart from the all suite properties, I would not have thought so.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The hotel can decide which rooms, but can they also decide zero suites? Apart from the all suite properties, I would not have thought so.
If you read the T&C's hotels can pick whichever room categories they want (and arguably individual rooms), and if you combine that with Marriott's blanket "hotels can do what they want" overarching policy, I'd say the odds of this being seen as something to address by the bean counters in Utah are about zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.