Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I called the ambassador line and they confirmed this was still in effect. They removed SNA's, I checked into the Sydney Marriott, and was upgraded to the Opera House Suite at check-in. No games, no "standard" suite discussion, etc.
I’m delighted to hear it (and that I was in error). Of course, the reason the APAC properties were so much more forthcoming on Plat suite upgrades had a lot to do with there not being nearly as much Plat competition for them. That hasn’t really changed.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you have five categories of suites they can't all be speciality. Even so, the new terms don't exempt speciality suites. And I quote:

“Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors.”
And even under the old SPG terms, the description from corporate policy was that speciality suites that were excluded were Presidential suites and equivalent. Unfortunately, in my personal experience and what appears to be reported by others, a number of legacy SPG properties have decided that they will define "standard suites" to a very limited set of specific suites and refuse to upgrade to any other rooms.

That's not saying some legacy MR properties didn't do the same as we've both experienced.

This all comes down to a battle from housekeeping that wants to reduce costs and some GM's who are more focused on short term costs rather than longer term revenue.

MR should mandate that we receive surveys specific to elite level with a checklist of whether we received program benefits. Once those scores started impacting Medallia ratings, we'd see a change. But ... I don't get surveys any more. Anyone know why that is?
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
If you have five categories of suites they can't all be speciality. Even so, the new terms don't exempt speciality suites. And I quote:

“Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors.”
But all they need to say to deny it is “sorry, that room isn’t available” because Marriott is emphasizing the word “available” (saying it twice in 5 words) and leaving it up for interpretation.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Unfortunately, you’re mistaken. It doesn’t matter if the hotel even has 10 suite categories. The hotel ascribes the suites that are in its standard/select suite pool. You’re only guaranteed the lowest category of suites in that pool.

I already agreed with you that the hotel did not meet its Plat suite upgrade obligation when it didn’t upgrade you to the lowest category of suite. That is all it is obligated to do under the terms. That was just as true with SPG.

I also indicated already that I would have expected the hotel to have upgraded you further as an appropriate means of service recovery for the hotel’s failure to upgrade you to at least the lowest category suite in the first place. That you had to involve your Ambassador to get what you were entitled to in the first place is not acceptable. Service recovery certainly was appropriate.

But I reiterate, much as you may disapprove, that you are not entitled to any and all suites as per the Platinum suite benefit, Period. You’re entitled to the suite category or categories that is allotted by a hotel as part of its select suite pool—that’s all. In some hotels, that includes only junior suites; in others, it may include junior suites and proper 1 bedroom suites. In some hotels with few suites, it may only include the best corner/view rooms. There could be 10 categories of suites and still only the lowest category or two may be included in the pool. That was just as true with SPG.

That the hotel didn’t upgrade you to the lowest suite category is a galling failure of its obligation to you as a Plat. That the hotel didn’t upgrade you further after having to eat crow and accept that it failed is a galling service failure on top of that. This clearly is a very poorly managed hotel that should be avoided at all costs.

I don’t deny that your hotel mistreated you by not giving you a suite in the first place. But I do believe a false sense of entitlement is involved with your expectation for anything necessarily beyond that as a Platinum benefit.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 27, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
And even under the old SPG terms, the description from corporate policy was that speciality suites that were excluded were Presidential suites and equivalent. Unfortunately, in my personal experience and what appears to be reported by others, a number of legacy SPG properties have decided that they will define "standard suites" to a very limited set of specific suites and refuse to upgrade to any other rooms.
Yes, the Westin Alexandria as well as one other...that's it, right? Two properties do not define ~1,500.

As I have said previously, the Select Suite terminology was a floor, not a ceiling...I and many others have gotten themed / Presidential / higher tier suites many times over the years. Helped to be a good SPG customer.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:20 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

That can be true. That always has been true even with SPG. Some properties always were more generous than others, and that’s just as true today as it was before. It’s also just as true for legacy Marriott properties as it is for legacy SPG properties. It’s just that more SPG brands more often have more suites proportionally,

This being for the select/standard suite pool for Platinum suite upgrades.

So when we in the Ambassador thread point out that we more often than not are upgraded to suites almost always and even higher level and specialty suites not normally available to Platinums, you understand part of the benefit that it is to have achieved Ambassador status.
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Agreed. Consistency has been a problem in both programs. Properties get to define "standard" which has obviously been a source of games in suite upgrades and redemptions. Plus, the breakfast games.
I called the ambassador line and they confirmed this was still in effect. They removed SNA's, I checked into the Sydney Marriott, and was upgraded to the Opera House Suite at check-in. No games, no "standard" suite discussion, etc.
Thank you for the update. Although the web page describing the Asia Pacific upgrade policy was still active, I assumed that the less definitive policy in the combined company's Terms & Conditions superseded it. Now if only they would expand that policy to the parts of the world where most of the complaints about the lack of standard suites originate.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes, the Westin Alexandria as well as one other...that's it, right? Two properties do not define ~1,500.

As I have said previously, the Select Suite terminology was a floor, not a ceiling...I and many others have gotten themed / Presidential / higher tier suites many times over the years. Helped to be a good SPG customer.
As long as we are repeating ourselves, here is what I wrote in response to a similar posts of yours:

"I don't believe the concern is that a hotel would upgrade a guest to the Presidential suite when they were only required to upgrade to a standard suite. The issue at some hotels has been there were only a couple of standard suites and numerous others that were priced modestly higher. Under the current rules, if those standard suites are booked, there may not be a suite upgrade unless the hotel employees are being generous. Where the old APAC system applied, one of the higher level suites should have been offered."

The following is my response (complete with typos) to "I don't see what the problem is in Asia - if you have any level of status and a pulse, you are likely getting a suite"

"Prior to a paid stay at the St. Regis Osaka stay, I checked what suites would be covered by a SNA. When I arrived in the evening for a 2-night stay, I was told that the hotel was full and was only given what I believe was an upgrade to a higher floor. When I arrived at my room, I checked and I there were numerous lower level suites available and IIRC at least one of the types of suites that were available for SNAs. Since I was getting up very early the next morning, I didn't feel like arguing. When I wrote a review of the hotel, I was told that standard suites were unavailable during my stay. If the hotel had been subject to the MR rules, the excuse of no standard suites wouldn't be valid.

Although Korea hotels are not fully covered by the old APAC rules and it was after 8/18, on an award stay the JW Marriott Dongdaemun upgraded me to one of their largest suites when assigning a lower level one would have required a mid stay move.

I am not arguing that JWM's treat guests better than StRs, but in this instance the old MR APAC rules would have helped if they had applied to Japan. Although I agree with you that suite upgrades in Asia are common, it is hard to argue that the old MR APAC policy as written wasn't better than the current system wide one."
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 27, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
Perhaps I am naturally skeptical but I wonder if this wasn’t purposefully floated as a trial balloon.
That would imply some level of competency at the Marriott corporate offices. Given all of the missteps with the merger and failed promotions, it's obvious that they're clueless.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wouldn't it be funny if someone had actually succeeded in reserving a room at one of those new Starriott properties in Antarctica?
I wanted to...but then realized what a nightmare it would have been if the charges posted. I can see it now... Calling up Marriott corporate, wait on hold for an hour only to have them tell me I need to speak directly to the property, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:53 pm

I don't know if Marriott is serious about Bonvoy but if they are all I have to say is don't do it. Its not too late just let Marriott Rewards run another 20 years or more.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
In the for what its worth, they had a new screen when I checked in at a Renaissance tonight. The FD showed me the screen and everything was spelled out.
Antarius, bhrubin, rny321 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

In the for what its worth, they had a new screen when I checked in at a Renaissance tonight. The FD showed me the screen and everything was spelled out.
What is "everything" and how was it "spelled out"?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:33 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Also curious what it looked like. I was at a Courtyard in NYC several weeks ago, and they had their computer set up under the check in counter, which had a glass top. I could kind of peer over the counter and look down - while I couldn't read the characters from my angle, it looked like that the particular FDA was using something that looked more like a terminal system.

A friend sent me this picture from the Salesforce Conference/Convention a couple months ago, where apparently they had a booth talking about ways in which Salesforce helps creates systems for Marriott, including a screen displaying the following. (I believe it's only a mockup or demo of something similar to what an FDA might see - it's not a screenshot from an active working system). I'd be curious to know if this is similar to what's actually being used (or has been used) at Marriott properties!
damon88 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by dayone
What is "everything" and how was it "spelled out"?
sorry ... typing at the bar.

previously, at full service legacy Marriott properties, there was a blue screen showing guest information including a line of several codes beginning with the two-letter code for the person's status and followed by other things such as type of bed, connecting room, etc.

tonight, I was greeted as having Ambassador status for the first time in many stays. I asked her how she knew that and she showed me the screen which had been reorganized. The screen contain my personal information and a separate line stating: M0 Ambassador.

this is different than the previous display which would show x4 followed by a number of codes with M0 in the middle of those codes.

while many of us are grumbling regarding Marriott's IT, this is a rather obvious improvement. It also seems like it is on the path of better distinguishing the different levels. I suspect there is a lot going on that may not be immediately obvious to guests.

It looked nothing like the screen above with graphical displays. It was just a blue screen with characters. I would almost certainly opt out of anything that looked like the display above as that's not information I necessarily want available at the front desk. At first glance, it looks cool but the privacy issues are concerning. I don't really want the front desk having my picture or knowing my future stays.
MSPeconomist and ryw like this.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Nov 28, 2018 at 12:57 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Unfortunately, you’re mistaken. It doesn’t matter if the hotel even has 10 suite categories. The hotel ascribes the suites that are in its standard/select suite pool. You’re only guaranteed the lowest category of suites in that pool.

I already agreed with you that the hotel did not meet its Plat suite upgrade obligation when it didn’t upgrade you to the lowest category of suite.

This may well be true, but have you seen this evidenced anywhere? If you read the new Marriott terms, you will note the standard/ select suite pool language from SPG does not feature. Where SPG terms were generally specific, Marriott appears to have replaced them with more generic ones which could be good, could be bad or could just be poor drafting (e.g. continental breakfasts replaced with breakfast).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.