Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin

There similarly are few Westins that qualify for 5*—and those almost entirely belong in Europe, part of the old Excelsior Collection that became Westin properties. The Westin Europa & Regina Venice, the Westin Excelsior Rome, the Westin Palace Madrid, the Westin Paris Vendome (soon to leave Marriott under new ownership to become a Jumeirah), etc. Those are truly impressive hotels...but they are the exception and not even close to the rule.

In my experience, the only difference between the typical Westin, Marriott and Sheraton properties is the typical Westin has better food, especially for health-conscious guests. Sheraton has always been known for bad food-and-beverage. Marriott is marginally better, but not all the properties have a full-service restaurant. Some properties only have a bar that serves food.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
A 5* hotel is one of luxury and luxury service. There is a reason that most JW Marriott hotels don’t qualify as quite 5* despite their supposedly being a luxury brand: their service is not to the 5* level simply due to room count and staff/guest ratios making that impossible. If that’s true for JW, I can assure you it’s just as true if not even more true for most Sheratons and Westins and regular Marriotts and Renaissances and Le Meridiens. They may be prettier and newer in Asia, and Asian service may be a bit better on average than that in N America and Europe, but the 5* service standard also is a bit better there in Asia, accordingly. New isn’t 5*.
With all due respect, there is no 5-star rating service in the United States. I doubt you could find common agreement on what constitutes a genuine 5-star hotel here.

In Britain, the AA (their version of the AAA) is pretty stringent. In my experience, their ratings seem more prized than AAA. Also, I think the Scottish and England tourism agencies also have their own rating scheme. There are also similar restaurant rating schemes. I know, for example, the restaurant rating schemes consider whether the tableware is properly placed.

France and Italy also have regulated hotel rating schemes with specific requirements for a hotel to classify itself as 4-star or 5-star.

Often times it isn't whether a hotel is 5-star but whether they execute the services and amenities at a level one expects of a hotel with a 5-star rating. I've stayed at plenty of hotels in France and Britain that meet the 4-star or 5-star requirements of the respective rating schemes but can't execute service in an appropriate or acceptable manner.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I also think you may be confusing brand new and shiny with 5*. Those are two distinct quantities that I think you’re unfortunately conflating. A 5* hotel is one of luxury and luxury service. There is a reason that most JW Marriott hotels don’t qualify as quite 5* despite their supposedly being a luxury brand: their service is not to the 5* level simply due to room count and staff/guest ratios making that impossible. If that’s true for JW, I can assure you it’s just as true if not even more true for most Sheratons and Westins and regular Marriotts and Renaissances and Le Meridiens. They may be prettier and newer in Asia, and Asian service may be a bit better on average than that in N America and Europe, but the 5* service standard also is a bit better there in Asia, accordingly. New isn’t 5*.
With due respect, 5* isn't a standardized term, particularly in the United States where you and I are from. The AAA has diamond ratings, but the term "five star" simply denotes an element of luxury. Meanwhile, in India where the poster you are responding to is from, "Five Star" is a particular designation classified by the Ministry of Tourism. Similarly in China, the CNTA (another government body) gives hotels official ratings.

Where the local government has official classified a hotel as 5*, I think it's fair to refer to it as such. However, it's also fair to refrain from referring to those properties as "luxury" (a more amorphous label) unless they actually warrant the designation.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
With due respect, 5* isn't a standardized term, particularly in the United States where you and I are from. The AAA has diamond ratings, but the term "five star" simply denotes an element of luxury. Meanwhile, in India where the poster you are responding to is from, "Five Star" is a particular designation classified by the Ministry of Tourism. Similarly in China, the CNTA (another government body) gives hotels official ratings.

Where the local government has official classified a hotel as 5*, I think it's fair to refer to it as such. However, it's also fair to refrain from referring to those properties as "luxury" (a more amorphous label) unless they actually warrant the designation.
I appreciate your comments and take your point. Still, no reasonable agency of any international repute qualifies most Sheratons and Westins and the like as 5* hotels. I realize 5* and luxury have different connotations, but they also largely are redundant and certainly aren’t mutually exclusive. I’ll comfortably stand by my earlier comments.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Has Titanium already started?

I checked out of a Four Points a couple of days ago and the folio was emailed to me as normal. Under my SPG # in the upper-right corner it showed "SPG-Tnnnn" instead of "SPG-Pnnnn". I'm used to it truncating the rewards number but instead of P (what I always assumed was for Platinum), it now shows a T (which I assume is for Titanium). I will be (am) Titanium under the new program.

This property didn't even recognize me or welcome me as an elite. I stayed at five different Marriott properties in the last 10 days and 4 of them welcomed me as a Platinum and the Four Points gave no welcome. I've finally started asking the front desk agents why they say Platinum and not my actual status. And they usually just sheepishly apologize and say, "Oh, sorry. Platinum Premier....". I'm only asking why they don't recognize my actual status; I'm not trying to embarrass them.

-RM
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I checked out of a Four Points a couple of days ago and the folio was emailed to me as normal. Under my SPG # in the upper-right corner it showed "SPG-Tnnnn" instead of "SPG-Pnnnn". I'm used to it truncating the rewards number but instead of P (what I always assumed was for Platinum), it now shows a T (which I assume is for Titanium). I will be (am) Titanium under the new program.
I read and posted about someone reporting the same thing in the comments section of a travel blog right around the time of the leak. I'll be checking out of a Westin next week and will be scrutinizing the folio (I normally just look at the charges and ignore the rest).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

I appreciate your comments and take your point. Still, no reasonable agency of any international repute qualifies most Sheratons and Westins and the like as 5* hotels. I realize 5* and luxury have different connotations, but they also largely are redundant and certainly aren’t mutually exclusive. I’ll comfortably stand by my earlier comments.
Clearly most Westins or Sheratons are not recognised as "5 star" by their appropriate national agency, but quite a few have - and a high proportion of Le Meridiens as well. Just to check that I hadn't got this wrong I checked a few hotels I thought might be interesting (Westins in Dublin, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok) and all were unambiguously 5* rated. Whilst there is of course no real US definition of 5*, I think one can call these hotels comparable to (entry level) "5*" hotels in the US - with comparable hardware and generally better service. In Dubai, the Westin Mina Seyahi Beach is a premium 5* resort with rates above the Four Seasons in town.

There is presumably not a list of the 5* hotels in these brands anywhere, but it is going to be a relatively long list.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I think you’ll discover you’re quite mistaken. The brand standard today isn’t the same as that of 20 years ago when some older hotels were built. But again, newer hotels always are nicer than older hotels. As I previously stated, Asia has much newer hotels than N America and Europe, despite whatever differences in brand standard might possibly have evolved over time (particularly with Sheraton).

I am aware that many in Asia (and China in particular) and abroad in general perceive Sheraton as a much better brand than we do in N America. That’s because Sheratons abroad tend to be newer and better train their staff to better service standards. Regardless, very few Sheratons qualify by any measure as 5*. The most likely Sheraton to be 5* may be the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit Bangkok, which coincidentally is actually a Luxury Collection property.

There similarly are few Westins that qualify for 5*—and those almost entirely belong in Europe, part of the old Excelsior Collection that became Westin properties. The Westin Europa & Regina Venice, the Westin Excelsior Rome, the Westin Palace Madrid, the Westin Paris Vendome (soon to leave Marriott under new ownership to become a Jumeirah), etc. Those are truly impressive hotels...but they are the exception and not even close to the rule.

I also think you may be confusing brand new and shiny with 5*. Those are two distinct quantities that I think you’re unfortunately conflating. A 5* hotel is one of luxury and luxury service. There is a reason that most JW Marriott hotels don’t qualify as quite 5* despite their supposedly being a luxury brand: their service is not to the 5* level simply due to room count and staff/guest ratios making that impossible. If that’s true for JW, I can assure you it’s just as true if not even more true for most Sheratons and Westins and regular Marriotts and Renaissances and Le Meridiens. They may be prettier and newer in Asia, and Asian service may be a bit better on average than that in N America and Europe, but the 5* service standard also is a bit better there in Asia, accordingly. New isn’t 5*.
not mistaken at all....also, new & shiny has nothing to do with being a 5 star property....i don't know why you think anyone here is making that assumption....no one has said that a property should be classified as a 5 star property just because its new & shiny....i classify 5 star properties to have services like concierge, spa, multiple restaurants, pools, evening turndown service, 24 hour room service, doorman & many other similar luxury services....since you seem to be so confidant in your stance, let me ask you this, how many sheratons or westins or le méridiens have you stayed in in asia????i think you may be confusing properties you have stayed in against properties you haven't considered....

i've stayed in many great sheraton, westin & le méridien properties in aisa....a few that come to mind are the westin sohna resort & spa, sheraton grand bengaluru whitefield, sheraton grand bangalore, le méridien mahabaleshwar resort & spa, sheraton hua hin pranburi villas, le méridien koh samui resort & spa, the westin singapore, le méridien singapore, the westin langkawi resort & spa, the westin rusutsu resort, sheraton hokkaido kiroro resort, the westin maldives miriandhoo resort, le méridien paro, le méridien thimphu....i'm sure there are many others that might be as or more luxurious than the ones i have stated....these are all hotels i put on par with the ones you have mentioned above in your post in terms of luxury....i'm sure those who have actually stayed in these or similar properties would agree with me....
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We should be careful not to confuse 5* with luxury. In many countries, a 5* designation is based on a number of check marks, not qualify or good service. For instance, in France, stars are based on things like 24 hour rooms service (no matter how minimal) or the presence of a minibar, and in former times elevators and direct dial telephones in guest rooms. Many or the nongovernmental entities that do hotel listings have similar systems, including AAA, Michelin, Gault-Millault, etc. Different systems can assign different numbers to stars to a given hotel, for example consider the discussion about OLTAs and opaque booking systems.

So it's relatively easy for certain foreign Hiltons, Marriotts, Sheratons, etc. to obtain 5* ratings even though they fall far short of what we mean by genuine luxury in the FT Luxury Travel forum.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I read and posted about someone reporting the same thing in the comments section of a travel blog right around the time of the leak. I'll be checking out of a Westin next week and will be scrutinizing the folio (I normally just look at the charges and ignore the rest).
hmm, checked out of a Sheraton the other day and mine shows SPG-Uxxxx.now instead of SPG-Pxxxx. I am PPE+Amb
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by YYJMSP
hmm, checked out of a Sheraton the other day and mine shows SPG-Uxxxx.now instead of SPG-Pxxxx. I am PPE+Amb
Interesting. My status is exactly the same, will see what shakes out on Wed w/ my folio...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:46 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thanks
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Clearly most Westins or Sheratons are not recognised as "5 star" by their appropriate national agency, but quite a few have - and a high proportion of Le Meridiens as well. Just to check that I hadn't got this wrong I checked a few hotels I thought might be interesting (Westins in Dublin, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok) and all were unambiguously 5* rated. Whilst there is of course no real US definition of 5*, I think one can call these hotels comparable to (entry level) "5*" hotels in the US - with comparable hardware and generally better service. In Dubai, the Westin Mina Seyahi Beach is a premium 5* resort with rates above the Four Seasons in town.

There is presumably not a list of the 5* hotels in these brands anywhere, but it is going to be a relatively long list.
I think you’ll discover that the list of 5* hotels in the Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, Marriott, and Renaissance brands, and even the JW Marriott brand (the only brand among these with ADR that puts it in the luxury hotels category, FWIW) is quite small. If you want to dig deep to find some vague and inconsequential 5* ratings from national “agencies “ that have no impact for world for any experienced luxury/5* traveler, then you’re welcome to believe them and include them. I think we all know better. When ever TripAdvisor calls it a 4 or 4.5 star hotel, it’s pretty clear it’s no 5 star hotel. No matter what any promotional agency may say.

I encourage students to always apply critical thinking when evaluating any information or evidence. Any regional or national tourism agency that wants to promote its hotels as 5 star is entitled to do so...but is obviously inflating its ratings when the same 5 star categories internationally don’t include those same hotels. The same goes when the occasional arrogant owner proclaims their hotel to be 6* (like the Burj Al Arab in Dubai).

Let’s not forget the statement that began this interlude was the claim that the majority of Sheratons and Westins in Asia are 5* hotels. That is ridiculous. Not even 10% of those brands are 5* hotels by any remotely useful international definition. Even in Asia.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Bhrubin, just out of curiosity - have you ever stayed in any of these hotels? Many (I don’t know how many - 50-60 maybe) are clearly comparable to hotels which are called 5* in the US.

I think this is ultimately a definition issue. The US is unique in the world where the term 5* describes an almost philsophocal concept. In almost every other country a 5* rating is literal and either given or not - just like a driving licence. You can’t argue someone does not have a driving licence just because you don’t like their driving.

Around the world 5* means exactly that: recognised as 5*. The definitions are usually pretty common and mentioned above: 24 hour room service, spa, gym, sometimes a pool, on-site restaurant and bar, concierge, etc. You surely can see the flaw in arguing that 5* hotels are not really 5* because they don’t conform to vague standards you apply from the US - the one country where 5* is not properly defined.
Keyser and remymartin like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:22 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Bhrubin, just out of curiosity - have you ever stayed in any of these hotels? Many (I don’t know how many - 50-60 maybe) are clearly comparable to hotels which are called 5* in the US.

I think this is ultimately a definition issue. The US is unique in the world where the term 5* describes an almost philsophocal concept. In almost every other country a 5* rating is literal and either given or not - just like a driving licence. You can’t argue someone does not have a driving licence just because you don’t like their driving.

Around the world 5* means exactly that: recognised as 5*. The definitions are usually pretty common and mentioned above: 24 hour room service, spa, gym, sometimes a pool, on-site restaurant and bar, concierge, etc. You surely can see the flaw in arguing that 5* hotels are not really 5* because they don’t conform to vague standards you apply from the US - the one country where 5* is not properly defined.
Being recognized as 5* is not the definition of 5* as you claim above; that’s a circular non sequitur definition, I’m afraid. Almost all 5 star hotels offer luxury decor and design, high levels of food/beverage, a full operating spa by many definitions, the best in category of facilities...and individualized and personalized levels of service. Most of the hotels you and others claim to be 5* don’t even come close in terms of indvidualized and personalized service. It isn’t even close.

Service tends to be where the brand new and shiny/beautiful hotels are differentiated. There’s a reason most of the Design Hotels, while often beautiful and dramatic, still don’t qualify as 5*/luxury: service. There’s a reason why my stay last night at the JW Austin was not 5 star, despite the very beautiful suite and wonderful hotel amenities: service.

The fact that the definition of 5* arose between Europe and N America has to do with the relative wealth concentration and luxury travelers in those regions. Only recently has there been a surge in luxury travelers from elsewhere in any numbers: namely, China.

I’ve stayed at many of the aforementioned hotels. I’ve visited even more. I’m comfortable in knowing what a 5* hotel is. Again, your case collapses when even TripAdvisir doesn’t recognize a hotel as 5 star—and they characterize a lot of hotels as 5* that most luxury travelers or guides wouldn’t ever qualify in that manner.

St Regis and Ritz Carlton properties are almost always 5 star hotels. Most but not all Luxury Collection properties are 5 star hotels. Some but not most W hotels are 5 star properties. Some Edition hotels could be considered 5 star properties. A few JW Marriott properties might even be considered 5 star—and that still commands rates in the luxury category as a brand! Those JWs are more likely to be resorts if I had to guess. But still, far fewer than half of all JWs would qualify as 5 star hotels. Perhaps less than a quarter or even lessM

Very few Upper upscale branded hotels are 5 star properties. The Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, Marriott, and Renaissance brands are considered upper upscale and not luxury for a reason.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 7, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Thanks

I think you’ll discover that the list of 5* hotels in the Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, Marriott, and Renaissance brands, and even the JW Marriott brand (the only brand among these with ADR that puts it in the luxury hotels category, FWIW) is quite small. If you want to dig deep to find some vague and inconsequential 5* ratings from national “agencies “ that have no impact for world for any experienced luxury/5* traveler, then you’re welcome to believe them and include them. I think we all know better. When ever TripAdvisor calls it a 4 or 4.5 star hotel, it’s pretty clear it’s no 5 star hotel. No matter what any promotional agency may say.

I encourage students to always apply critical thinking when evaluating any information or evidence. Any regional or national tourism agency that wants to promote its hotels as 5 star is entitled to do so...but is obviously inflating its ratings when the same 5 star categories internationally don’t include those same hotels. The same goes when the occasional arrogant owner proclaims their hotel to be 6* (like the Burj Al Arab in Dubai).

Let’s not forget the statement that began this interlude was the claim that the majority of Sheratons and Westins in Asia are 5* hotels. That is ridiculous. Not even 10% of those brands are 5* hotels by any remotely useful international definition. Even in Asia.
I love how no matter what anyone ever says they're wrong and you're right. Numerous people have pointed out that otherwise generic and ho-hum brands have some properties in some markets that are rated by a rating scheme as 5-star. Whether you accept their rating or not is your prerogative, but most of these rating schemes are quite specific in what they require for a property to receive a rating of 4 stars or 5 stars.

Here's how it played out in France:

Hotel entrepreneur Olivier de Geffrier, who a fortnight ago announced his plans for a new group of 4-star boutique business and leisure hotels in Paris, said the current rating system—introduced in 1986—was never updated.

“It is true that many foreign tourists thinking they have reserved a 3-star hotel find themselves in an establishment of an inferior category, which doesn’t come close to responding to their expectations as far as services, comfort and price are concerned.

“There is often a real gap between French and foreign standards ... The new system will force French hotels to measure up to international norms and allow overseas visitors to choose a hotel according to impartial, real criteria,” de Geffrier said.

HNN - Final countdown for new French hotel ratings
Meanwhile, British ratings puts an emphasis on service. See this:

In Great Britain, star ratings focus heavily on customer service, with a hotel not qualifying as a five-star without a greeting at the entrance and multilingual staff, along with a high quality food and wine menu and many other factors.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...just-week.html
Of course, many hotels, whether they are rated or not, fail to adequately deliver the services and amenities they advertise.
Keyser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.