Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry, but I view the T&C as a contract, just like airline CoCs are a contract (of adhesion). It's even more so if Marriott insists that properties aren't allowed to go above and beyond or exceed brand standards, both of which have been reported.
As I said elsewhere, some people are literal and originalist in their need for precision—with every detail spelled out in such a way as to be unrealistic and unreasonable for any business or loyalty program. I think that approach is not productive and precludes most people from common sense and seeing the forest for the trees. But to each, their own. I don’t envy you the disappointment you set yourself up to experience.

Marriott and its terms do not in any way preclude any hotel or brand from exceeding brand standards. That’s just pure nonsense, I’m afraid. Anyone reporting that is woefully wrong.
Horace, ftrichard and Beltway2A like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very much in the habit of taking T&C's literally. They define what I can expect from the service that I am receiving. When Marriott says they will do something in a set of T&Cs, I expect them to do it.

How else is one meant to read terms? Hypothetically? Ironically? Aspirationally? Directionally?
hockeyinsider and Twickenham like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very much in the habit of taking T&C's literally. They define what I can expect from the service that I am receiving. When Marriott says they will do something in a set of T&Cs, I expect them to do it.

How else is one meant to read terms? Hypothetically? Ironically? Aspirationally? Directionally?
Ambassadorially...
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
...Which is all about treating service failures diplomatically?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I'm wondering why Marriott keeps the Ambassador status - Intercontinental hotels are using it and maybe Marriott is looking to buy up IC from IHG?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

Ambassadorially...
At least I understand what this means, versus directionally and originalistically.

Meanwhile, on the Hyatt side,I'm still trying to figure out whether an Explorerer is higher or lower than a Discoverist. I guess I'd better stay a Globalist to avoid confusing myself.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
There is a big difference between IHG Ambassador status which is a paid for membership conferring certain guaranteed benefits only applicable to the Intercontinental hotel brand (not other IHG brands such as Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Indigo, etc, etc) and the Marriott Ambassador status that Marriott inherited from its takeover of SPG and decided to continue. The Marriott Ambassador status is so named because all members that qualify for the status are assigned a named ambassador within Marriott who will assist with those hard-to-book hotel nights, help with upgrades or specific unusual requests.

So the IHG Ambassador scheme is purely a name for a paid for element of the IHG Rewards program whilst Marriott Ambassador is the top elite tier that confers an actual named ambassador to assist the member.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Marriott and its terms do not in any way preclude any hotel or brand from exceeding brand standards. That’s just pure nonsense, I’m afraid. Anyone reporting that is woefully wrong.
Last night in a conversation with a manager at Marriott Marquis Bangkok:

Me: I'm disappointed the lunch offerings in the lounge were changed, this was a well regarded benefit.
Her: Marriott wouldn't let us exceed the brand standard.

Now it's asinine to be claiming Marriott forced them to change a year after instituting the policy when they were a Marriott the whole time - unless Marriott is stepping up enforcement of said standards.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Now it's asinine to be claiming Marriott forced them to change a year after instituting the policy when they were a Marriott the whole time - unless Marriott is stepping up enforcement of said standards.
I don't think Marriott "forces" hotels to not exceed the standard, but they definitely do make recommendations like that.

Check out the following post (a while back, but from Marriott's official representative): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11062254-post41.html The post was almost 10 years ago, but I think Marriott still manages this same way. They don't "force", but they will encourage and recommend. And of course, Hotel management takes it and tells regular staff this is what Marriott Corp is telling us to do (i.e. forcing us.)
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Me: I'm disappointed the lunch offerings in the lounge were changed, this was a well regarded benefit.

Well, if a manager said so, then it must be true. Not.

I’m sorry, but I do consider the source when I consider the veracity of any assessment such as this. Your manager may very well believe that, but that doesnt constitute any sort of proof whatsoever. It’s convenient to blame Marriott for not exceeding a brand standard. It’s convenient to blame the merger for any issue with any legacy SPG hotel. It’s convenient, but that doesn’t make it true.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
What would be the reason Marriott force Marriot Marquis BKK to not exceed their brand standard?
Fear they poach the guests from St. Regis BKK?
bhrubin and getagb like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)

Did you ask her: So if this is the case, how about breakfast at Goji kitchen to make up the lunch devaluation?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think the reason Marriott asks hotels to not exceed brand standards (unless there is a market driven reason) is that it can cause discontent among the market base if they get benefits at one location but not others. They might not realize that one hotel was going above and beyond. Most of us here on FT make a concerted effort to understand the actual rules and benefits we should be receiving. I have the feeling a large % of customers outside of FT might not have as good a handle on what they should have been receiving and did actually receive. So by asking hotels to stick to the brand standards as much as possible Marriott is pushing a consistent general "stay" experience.
amanuensis and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think the reason Marriott asks hotels to not exceed brand standards (unless there is a market driven reason) is that it can cause discontent among the market base if they get benefits at one location but not others. They might not realize that one hotel was going above and beyond. Most of us here on FT make a concerted effort to understand the actual rules and benefits we should be receiving. I have the feeling a large % of customers outside of FT might not have as good a handle on what they should have been receiving and did actually receive. So by asking hotels to stick to the brand standards as much as possible Marriott is pushing a consistent general "stay" experience.
THIS makes sense and is good business practice. We’ve already seen how even Plat elites and Ambassador elites can feel entitled to benefits that are not guaranteed but which can be offered at the discretion of more generous properties.

I certainly can see and understand Marriott trying to achieve a consistency for its legacy customer base that obviously preferred a more mass form of consistency/reliability over the legacy SPG preference for perhaps more individual service and personalized attention.

For a Marriott Marquis property or any Marriott branded properties, it may be in its best interest and those of other Marriott and Marquis branded hotels to try and achieve the same consistent set of benefits.

But that still doesn’t mean Marriott prevents those hotels from offering more benefits at the property’s discretion. That manager IMO is trying to blame Marriott for that property’s acceptance (and conveniently lower concomitant costs) of the lounge benefits chosen. That’s called scapegoating.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I certainly can see and understand Marriott trying to achieve a consistency for its legacy customer base that obviously preferred a more mass form of consistency/reliability over the legacy SPG preference for perhaps more individual service and personalized attention.

Many of us might strongly disagree with that ....

But that still doesn’t mean Marriott prevents those hotels from offering more benefits at the property’s discretion. That manager IMO is trying to blame Marriott for that property’s acceptance (and conveniently lower concomitant costs) of the lounge benefits chosen. That’s called scapegoating.
Agreed. I think its likely this is a franchised property and they decide what they want to offer, other than complying with brand standards as a minimum. Many properties do better.

I've been to this property ... it's doesn't remotely limit itself to brand standards! I don't remember lunch being available. A full large breakfast ... yes. Tea ... yes. Full dinner .... yes .... free drinks .... yes.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Nov 29, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.